Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2009, 11:12 AM

Default Pine Coulee help.

Here's the thing. I know where it is. How to get there. What's in there. What I am looking for is some help on how to catch what's in there. As a trout fisherman, I know how to catch those fish, however, I have only tried going for pike a couple of times with minimal success. Walleye, moderate success on open water, and never caught a burb.

I would like to try for these species because trout is getting a little ho-hum.

As for supplies, I have the usual stuff: 1/8 1/4 oz. jigs in a multitude of colours, brighter colour plastic twisters, some Berkley worms,leaches, twister grubs, 'jack rigs', pickerel rigs, smelt rigs, gorge hooks 1/0 to 4/0.

I don't want you to give away your "SECRETS", but a little help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM

Try 1/4 and 3/8 bright jig heads in a variety of colors. Use a slip bobber and use some medium size minnows. Set your depth between just off bottom to 2 feet up from bottom. That should get you into pike, burbot, and walleye.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:36 AM

When yo say medium sized, about the size of a small smelt?

Or do you mean 1-3 inches? Also, should I use stingers with the jigs?

Jon.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCraM View Post
Try 1/4 and 3/8 bright jig heads in a variety of colors. Use a slip bobber and use some medium size minnows. Set your depth between just off bottom to 2 feet up from bottom. That should get you into pike, burbot, and walleye.
Make sure you check your regs, fellas. This came up in a thread last week, as well;
no baitfish allowed at Pine Coulee. By the definition of baitfish in the regs, smelts are
allowed, MINNOWS ARE NOT ALLOWED at Pine Coulee.
I caught a mess of burbot there last week fishing near the bottom in about 15' of water,
using a smelt (or 1/2 a smelt) on a medium sized glow-in-the-dark airplane jig; I charged
the jig up quite often. Using this method, I caught at least 3 times as many fish as my
bro', who was fishing about 4' away from me. We caught most of the burbs between
4-7 PM.
I used stingers, but found a lot of fish were getting hooked deep in the gullet; those
ones ended up skinned & filleted!
Good luck out there!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Check my question on the 'bait' thread.

I am interested in your view as to how they word it.

Jon.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM

Ya sorry I forgot that Pine Coulee has no bait fish but as the previous post says smelts are not considered a bait fish because they are a sal****er fish. I would personally go get a jumbo bag of smelts from superstore and cut them in half.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCraM View Post
Ya sorry I forgot that Pine Coulee has no bait fish but as the previous post says smelts are not considered a bait fish because they are a sal****er fish. I would personally go get a jumbo bag of smelts from superstore and cut them in half.
I get mine from T&T(Asian market). The burbs don't seem to care if you use 1/2 of a smelt. I was there tonight- burbs galore!!!