Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What color of smelts work best for you?
Natural 17 62.96%
Pink 7 25.93%
Green 1 3.70%
Other? 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2009, 07:01 AM

Default Coloured Smelts

How many people have tried the new coloured smelts? What colors did you try and which ones worked best?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:04 AM

Natural has always done the job for me. Tried the colored ones a couple times this winter and always wound up back at natural. Maybe that is just me though!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:35 AM

I have always used natural sardines from superstore. Far less expensive than smelts and seem to work just as well. I would be interested to try some coloured smelts beside a natural colour bait.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 03-15-2009, 09:40 AM

I tried the pink & the yellow this year. The pink ones did well for me for pike; not any monsters; but they did catch allot!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:36 PM

I like using natural smelts as well as they have red ones. red ones really are great. Also when were fishing for big pike we will use 8 inch anchovies and use this red bait marker I picked up at cabala's , any way marking the belly of the anchovies , Bang on results.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:17 PM

Default Colored Smelts

I have seen excellent results with the red smelts on Pike.

/ives
Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Banned

Tried red smelts at a $1.00 each. Ho hum. Tried regular colored smelts from a grocery store at $0.15 each, also ho hum. Tried the fish marker pens on 0.15 smelts. ho hum. Conclusion, smelts are ho hum, but $0.15 smelts marked with the pen are cheap ho hum!
Dave Si
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 AM

So what do you use then?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Banned

Sardines, spoons, jigging spoons, jigging rapalas and oh yeah, smelts. But I must tell you that pike fishing is a distraction to me. I grew up very near Keho a long time ago and I was spoiled by the monsters that my Dad and I would harvest. Imagine 20+lbs toothy buggers, from shore on a red devil, every time out from the time I was 5 years old. One of these monsters tried to eat my hand once, and she had been in the pail for about 6 hours. Talk about teeth. But I'm not telling you anything you don't know. I favour trout fishing, or salmon, and plan to spend my life hunting walleyes in northern Sask. Try the marker pens. On sardines. Dave Si
Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 AM

I've coloured my own in a variety of different colours. Put some smelt in a zip-loc bag and add food colouring. You can control the depth of colour by the amount of food colouring and the length of time you leave them in.

The variety of colours I could create was limited only by what my wife had for food colouring in her baking supply cupboard.

I've found natural and a real deep red have worked best for me.