Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2016, 04:49 PM

Default Rain gear

Looking to buy some proper rain gear (coat, pants, boots) this year. Any ideas for brands that are more inexpensive but waterproof and last for more than one season?
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2016, 05:25 PM

I have a set of Helly Hansens (bib and jacket) purchased at Mark's work wearhouse about 6-7 years ago.

The only complaint is it gets warm (as it's rubberized and doesn't breathe well) but for the $ 120 I paid ( on sale ) I have no complaints. I have used it quite a bit and am very happy with it.

Really this is only and issue on those days were it goes from a downpour - to sun and back to rain all day long. If it stays wet and overcast it's not too bad at all.

There are probably more expensive rainsuits out there that breathe a little better - but this one keeps you dry and it was pretty cheap.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:34 PM

I know it may not sound ideal and or one hundred percent fishing related but my go to rain suit to keep me dry while fishing is surprisingly my Nike golfing rainsuit. I've literally fishing in downpours and take off the thing and I'm completely dry underneath and only paid around one hundred dollars. Worth takin a look at.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Banned

Wetskins from Costco
Old 03-27-2016, 05:38 PM

x2 on the Helly Hansons

I use them at work to walk in the bush when it's raining and everything chest down is soaked. They're extremely waterproof and won't rip or tear easily. As EZM said though they don't breathe well at all but that's the difference between 70$ bibs and 300$ Gortex ones.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:57 PM

Cabela's Guidewear Gore-Tex jacket and bibs, this is the best priced full Gore-Tex system I've encountered.

Yes, the investment is not cheap, but the Guidewear is much more affordable in comparison to other brands with Gore-Tex, and are designed well and durable.

Whether it be a downpour with driving winds during a storm, or taking water over the bow of the boat and speed spray - this gear keeps you dry, and warm.

Biggest advantage, is that it is breathable. You can wear this stuff and be active. The disadvantage of rubber gear is that it traps your perspiration against you, which will draw heat away from your body.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Wetskins from Costco
X 2, I just saw the Wetskins at Costco in Edmonton for around $80. I have a heavy pair of Wetskins that have done me well. For boots, I'm a fan of Muck.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:05 PM

I bought my gear at TFH when it was on a clearance sale. Works great. They have them on sale a few times a year
Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 PM

Cabelas guidewear is the best i have ever used and some of my buddies really like their bass pro 100mph suits. Both seem to keep us dry and warm during those nasty days on the boat.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 PM

Don't buy into the goretex marketing machine. Search up eVent which was a rival product and is more breathable and basically comparable in all lab tests. It can also be had for half the price. There's many waterproof breathable fabrics out these days (Dry Q, hyVent, dryVent, n2No etc.) most will be more waterproof than you will ever need.

Also be aware that waterproof breathable fabrics require maintenance. If you don't maintain your gear it won't be as breathable. Be sure to treat the fabric with a DWR (Durable Water Repellent). If the outer layer becomes saturated with water then your $400 waterproof jacket is no better than a $10 vinyl raincoat.

Take into consideration your application. Will you be going out into the rain or is it more of a just in case item.

For me I generally don't go out when it rains but carry a rain coat just in case while I hike/fish. For me breath ability was more important than waterproofness since it hardly rains here and venting out while I sweat was a higher priority.

Companies advertise that their coats are breathable but it's all relative. Sure they breathe great compared to a PVC raincoat but most hardly breath at all compared to sportswear. If the jacket doesn't breathe enough to vent out your perspiration then it's going to get wet inside so what good is a waterproof coat then?

Also some things to consider...

The more waterproof something is the less breathable it is.

The more breathable something the less wind resistant it is.

Hope that helps you find what you need.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:44 PM

I have had Wetskins for year's

layered up even Maligne is doable at her meanest

My middle son Nathan n I will be there this year again

In the middle of a snow storm he look at me a said This is pretty neat!! I laugh for the next 3 minute's

David