Old 06-23-2016, 05:18 PM

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gam...ow-penetration
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-23-2016, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
Ya know, I seem to recall a pretty smart fella explaining things along those lines here on AO a few years ago. A few guys called him dumb and tried to convince him KE is all that matters. Who was that guy?.....
Old 06-24-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
Momentum is a huge factor in penetration however KE is the easiest way to determine a good hunting set up, its a balance of speed vs weight in a realistic hunting setup.
Yes a heavier arrow shot out of the same bow will penetrate better however at what point does the balance of weight to speed become unreasonable to hunt with?
99% of compound bows will be shooting arrows 350 grains - 500 grains and that is mainly based on what's available in carbon arrows, speed and trajectory.
Being that many archers will hunt with fixed pins set at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards with a slow heavy arrow you would have to double your pins 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 to adjust for the impact trajectory differences.

So while momentum should not be dismissed KE is a simpler determination of a balanced archery set up.

For arguments sake getting the most out of your bow is a balance of the weight you can pull vs the energy of your arrow.
so for my set up I am shooting a 400grain arrow at 300fps which equates to 79.85KE and 0.532 P (momentum)
If I play with my arrow weight here are the results
300 grains @ 333fps = 73.79 KE and 0.443 P
425 grains @ 292fps = 80.38 KE and 0.55 P
450 grains @ 283fps = 79.95 KE and 0.565 P
475 grains @ 275fps = 79.68 KE and 0.579 P
500 grains @ 266fps = 78.48 KE and 0.59 P
600 grains @ 233fps = 72.26 KE and 0.62 P

So while I am very close to the optimum KE I would be better suited to add 25 grains to my set up.

Again KE isn't the best way to determine penetration however I feel it is a good indicator of the best balance of arrow weight and speed for a realistic hunting setup.

That said if I was going to Africa I would have a 80lb bow and some heavy ass arrows.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:02 AM

Your right ke isn't the way to determine penetration. But when it comes to mechanical broad heads you should make sure you have enough ke.. before momentum I would say.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-24-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Momentum is a huge factor in penetration however KE is the easiest way to determine a good hunting set up, its a balance of speed vs weight in a realistic hunting setup.
Yes a heavier arrow shot out of the same bow will penetrate better however at what point does the balance of weight to speed become unreasonable to hunt with?
99% of compound bows will be shooting arrows 350 grains - 500 grains and that is mainly based on what's available in carbon arrows, speed and trajectory.
Being that many archers will hunt with fixed pins set at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards with a slow heavy arrow you would have to double your pins 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 to adjust for the impact trajectory differences.

So while momentum should not be dismissed KE is a simpler determination of a balanced archery set up.

For arguments sake getting the most out of your bow is a balance of the weight you can pull vs the energy of your arrow.
so for my set up I am shooting a 400grain arrow at 300fps which equates to 79.85KE and 0.532 P (momentum)
If I play with my arrow weight here are the results
300 grains @ 333fps = 73.79 KE and 0.443 P
425 grains @ 292fps = 80.38 KE and 0.55 P
450 grains @ 283fps = 79.95 KE and 0.565 P
475 grains @ 275fps = 79.68 KE and 0.579 P
500 grains @ 266fps = 78.48 KE and 0.59 P
600 grains @ 233fps = 72.26 KE and 0.62 P

So while I am very close to the optimum KE I would be better suited to add 25 grains to my set up.

Again KE isn't the best way to determine penetration however I feel it is a good indicator of the best balance of arrow weight and speed for a realistic hunting setup.

That said if I was going to Africa I would have a 80lb bow and some heavy ass arrows.
Watched a Video of bow hunters in Africa...two guys with 80 lbs bows...Hoyt and Bowtech I believe...not that it matters...anyway they were in blind ...when these things went off it was a shotgun blast in blind...sound wise ...dust was flying...but they took some great animals....

There was a third member a lady...with a lady's bow @45 lbs...
She took every critter they took and hers ended up more and bigger book critters...

Given they weren't hunting elephant and hippo...but how many do...

Proof that a well placed arrow out of well tuned bow...sporting a razor sharp fixed head in the right place takes a lot of math out of our job...lol

an Animal with a razor sharp head @50 KE passing thru both lungs will go down just as fast as that 100 KE arrow with same head ...

Neil
Old 06-24-2016, 11:54 AM

I know that Grim Reaper publishes a strongly suggested 60-65KE value minimum before using a Razortip or Whitetail Special Mechanical head.

Almost any bow sounds like a shotgun in a blind...every time I fire from a blind I check to see if I just dry fired my bow.

LC
Old 06-24-2016, 03:38 PM

Who cares what effective range is! Learn to hunt!

I bow hunt to brag about how close I can get to something, because the challenge and the actual hunt is the exciting part. There's a huge difference between a good shooter and a good hunter.

I always say hunting stops, where the shooting starts!

If all we could use was a bat, I know there are a few people on AO that would still put critters down, and pics up...those guys are the guys, who I seem to enjoy reading about their tales....
Old 06-25-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

I bow hunt to brag about how close I can get to something, because the challenge and the actual hunt is the exciting part. There's a huge difference between a good shooter and a good hunter.

I always say hunting stops, where the shooting starts!

If all we could use was a bat, I know there are a few people on AO that would still put critters down, and pics up...those guys are the guys, who I seem to enjoy reading about their tales....
X2
Old 06-25-2016, 09:24 PM

Agree, archery hunting is not about how far you can shoot. It's about your ability to put yourself in a shooting position, create an ethical shot opportunity, and make a quick one shot kill.

LC
Old 06-27-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
How about if those who "practice" at 70 yards not be so chicken as to say that they would actually shoot at that distance.... after all why practice it otherwise... I put all the fallacies/excuses to rest....

If you are practicing at 70 yards don't tell me you would not shoot at 70 yards....
Nekred. Cant help but get the feeling you are looking for an excuse to start something. Its not darts or baseball from same spot. Animals I have pursued have 4 legs and move. Weird. Not allowed tying em on anymore.😘
Old 07-04-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Nekred. Cant help but get the feeling you are looking for an excuse to start something. Its not darts or baseball from same spot. Animals I have pursued have 4 legs and move. Weird. Not allowed tying em on anymore.��
?
Old 07-04-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
?
Only way to get a deer to stay at exact distance before shot is by tying them on. Lame attempt at a joke. I would never shoot an animal passed 40 yds and I practice up to 80yds. I dont see any issue of practicing far and shooting animals closer if you practice all ranges.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:09 PM

I'm sure glad I'm not smart enough to shoot/tune a compound and learn all the crap you guys have to know to shoot a "Bow".

I tried compounds for a couple years back in the 70's. Broke three of them.(Third strike ur out of there!)

I've only shot 2 critters 40+ yds. I didn't think they were that far for one but killed them both. Of the other 100+ Big Game bow kills, all were 20yds or less.

I see a lot of points on here that people seem to think are important.
In my opinion the most important is learning how to hunt and get close. Get out and scout. Learn animal habits and food choices.

Bowhunting isn't/wasn't meant to be easy. A lot of gimmick manufacturers have changed that. Too bad!
Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun View Post
I'm sure glad I'm not smart enough to shoot/tune a compound and learn all the crap you guys have to know to shoot a "Bow".

I tried compounds for a couple years back in the 70's. Broke three of them.(Third strike ur out of there!)

I've only shot 2 critters 40+ yds. I didn't think they were that far for one but killed them both. Of the other 100+ Big Game bow kills, all were 20yds or less.

I see a lot of points on here that people seem to think are important.
In my opinion the most important is learning how to hunt and get close. Get out and scout. Learn animal habits and food choices.

Bowhunting isn't/wasn't meant to be easy. A lot of gimmick manufacturers have changed that. Too bad!
Funny thing with a compound its all automatic for me...draw, settle pin and arrow is off...with a recurves or longbow I am thinking thru the entire shot ...usually with worse results...lol so its opposite for me!

Neil
Old 07-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Funny thing with a compound its all automatic for me...draw, settle pin and arrow is off...with a recurves or longbow I am thinking thru the entire shot ...usually with worse results...lol so its opposite for me!

Neil
I'm more of a spray and pray kinda guy lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

Makes sense. I assume people take up bowhunting for that exact challenge. Otherwise might as well stay with rifle hunting. I don't bow hunt, but that's what I respect about those that do... that it takes a lot of skill and patience to consistently get close.

That said, I guess it never hurts to know and expand your capabilities.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:11 PM

"Funny thing with a compound its all automatic for me...draw, settle pin and arrow is off...with a recurves or longbow I am thinking thru the entire shot ...usually with worse results...lol so its opposite for me!"

Then you're doing it wrong
Old 07-12-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun View Post
"Funny thing with a compound its all automatic for me...draw, settle pin and arrow is off...with a recurves or longbow I am thinking thru the entire shot ...usually with worse results...lol so its opposite for me!"

Then you're doing it wrong
Your right!...hence why I stick to compound easier for myself!!!

Neil
Old 07-13-2016, 10:47 AM

Default maximum effective range

Pretty simple...what ever range you can keep eight out of ten arrows in a 8" paper plate. Problem with longer shots is that speed of sound is a lot faster than any bow setup...it only takes one step to ruin a great oportunity. The animals body language will dictate whether you shoot at all. Always aim so your arrow passes through the opposite shoulder on anything but full broadside. Center of lethal area. Check out IBEP website foe exellent anatomy charts....maybe take a bowhunter education program in your area...the experience of the instructors will give you a huge boost of knowledge for your first few years...enjoy
Old 07-13-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick S View Post
Pretty simple...what ever range you can keep eight out of ten arrows in a 8" paper plate. Problem with longer shots is that speed of sound is a lot faster than any bow setup...it only takes one step to ruin a great oportunity. The animals body language will dictate whether you shoot at all. Always aim so your arrow passes through the opposite shoulder on anything but full broadside. Center of lethal area. Check out IBEP website foe exellent anatomy charts....maybe take a bowhunter education program in your area...the experience of the instructors will give you a huge boost of knowledge for your first few years...enjoy
Not eight out of ten...not 10/10.

The distance you can shoot and hit 6 inches on the first shot EVERYTIME.

That's usually all you get is one shot cold to make it happen.

LC

Tags
bow hunting