Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Default Swamp Donkey

Hey folks, I've heard a lot of good things about this place and I'm probably going to be heading out there to get my bow set up properly and stuff.
Anyone had any good experiences...or bad for that matter?
Thanks a lot
Schian
Old 03-24-2012, 11:12 AM

You will probably get mixed results with this post. But I personally have never had a bad experience with swamp donkey. He has gone out of his way to help me out and I have done the same for him. A few people will complain about him but he is just a normal guy. Hopefully this helps you out

Last edited by Redneck Renagade; 03-24-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Hey folks, I've heard a lot of good things about this place and I'm probably going to be heading out there to get my bow set up properly and stuff.
Anyone had any good experiences...or bad for that matter?
Thanks a lot
Schian
I bought a diamond deadeye from him last summer it was all good i would definetly go back to him
Old 03-24-2012, 01:44 PM

he's good to go, offers fair prices on what he sells, just hard to get ahold of him sometimes
Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
he's good to go, offers fair prices on what he sells, just hard to get ahold of him sometimes
Ya no worries there. I've emailed him and he told me to come out tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 AM

what place? who? what they got for sale?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 AM

Outside of Edmonton. 780-720-8357
martin@swampdonkeyoutdoors.com
Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 AM

He's about 7 minutes north of spruce grove.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 PM

Well I went out there today and it was a real good experience.
Martin is a real down to earth guy and definitely knows his stuff.
2 thumbs up for sure!
Thanks a lot Martin!
Schian
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Great guy, really knowledgable... Best prices around and he's great with bows!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM

Marty is great. Gets a bow dialed up pretty well and besides, his prices are great!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 AM

He gives great deals for sure! Definitely worth the drive.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM

I've been wanting to check this place out myself. I have questions though..

1. Someone in an older thread said he only takes cash. That true?

2. Where exactly is this place? 8km north of Spruce Grove isn't the most exact direction - where do you turn off on the Yellowhead?

He seems to have largely gotten positive comments so I'm interested.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Yes the cash only thing is true. But just give him a shout and he will be able to answer any more questions you may have. His number is 780-720-8357
Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 PM

well someones gotta say it...lol... Hes killing the pro shops on price but cash only good luck on warrenty..i hear he is opening a shop soon so he will soon see what it costs to run a real shop..
rob
Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 PM

very good guy to deal with will take time to make sure you are happy with what you buy and how it is set up
Old 04-03-2012, 04:46 PM

The warranty thing is a fair point - are any offered in case of malfunction?

Also ... this is big .. but somebody please for the love of baby jesus in gold diapers give me some good directions. I didn't really understand it when I called .. so please humour me and finish this sentence:

West on Yellowhead then .............

Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 04:51 PM

I gotta agree with bearbait, its eay to give good prices when you're operating out of your basement/garage.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM

I have been dealing with swamp donkey for years and I never once have had an issue with warranty. If guys want a receipt he will make one up. All the bows he sells carry a lifetime warranty. He has even given warranty on bows that have been dry fired. So if anyone is worried about warranty issues just ask for a receipt
Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Default Swamp donkey

I recently purchased an invasion from Martin I must say his attention to detail and the knowledge he has is second to none it is worth your time to go and see him. He goes above and beyond what is asked of him in order to make a person happy. Oh and when you go and see him bring lots of money he has everything you could possibly need.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 PM

Bearbait its not the prices Swampdonkey offers that is killing the pro shops, its the pro shops customer service that killing them. I have been in to many shops were the tech has his head up his a** and knows nothing about bows. I gone to Swandonkey with a bow that I didn't even buy from him and he help me fix it at no cost, thats why I go back.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 PM

well said northern
Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
The warranty thing is a fair point - are any offered in case of malfunction?

Also ... this is big .. but somebody please for the love of baby jesus in gold diapers give me some good directions. I didn't really understand it when I called .. so please humour me and finish this sentence:

West on Yellowhead then .............

Thanks
take campsite road (far west side of spruce grove) north to twp 540, turn left and follow it all the way around a big bend (past a lake on the left), and turn left into cameron heights (i think its heights) and he's the second driveway on the right.

make sure you know 100% when to be there, i went there 2 weeks ago and all was good, went there this past weekend to pick up a few things, he said to be there late afternoon/early evening, i went around 430 and he wasn't there, called him and he was at an auction and didn't know when he'd be done.
wasted an hour and a half of driving not to mention the gas, pretty frustrated with that, but he offers good prices and definitely does quality work.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:28 PM

Theres alot of great pro shops out there many will help you out..we fix alot of bows for guys that buy else where but we have to pay staff and over head thus the shop rate..that said we offer full free service on products bought in store. i never knocked him just stated if he opens his shop as he said he will he will find he cant sell stuff at that price..staff ..insur. ..rent ...utils..ect cost alot..mark up on hunting gear is not great...what gets me is he trys to set guys up in there garages..
Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 PM

From what ive heard his a real stand up guy and works with you to set you up the way you are needed, the fact that he has a smashing deals is becuase he doesnt have the over head of stores and Bs with hiring incompetant fools to destroy a stores reputation with a know it all attitude that knows absolutely nothing when it comes to archery. I would rather deal with a guy that takes the time to make things right than go some where else and get the run around. And i probably spend 2500 bucks a year on archery alone. I wonder who is more deserving.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 PM

What's wrong with setting bows up in a garage. I have seen better setups coming out of his garage then I have seen in some of the so-called "pro shops". I have also seen some very bad setups from shops that the guys can't even shoot properly that swamp donkey has fixed up at no extra charge. As for not having other people working for him it's easier to do things his self that way there is no mess ups that could evidently be blamed on him. As for overhead. There is still the insurance heat and power costs as there is with any other pro shop.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM

I should have stayed out of this one...if he dose a great job for you great...im out on this..
Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Default Bowtech invasion

Whent out to swamp donkey today and picked up a Bowtech invasion for $900 tax included.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Heading out there today around 1430, going to see how this place is and see if it lives up to the hype
Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
Theres alot of great pro shops out there many will help you out..we fix alot of bows for guys that buy else where but we have to pay staff and over head thus the shop rate..that said we offer full free service on products bought in store. i never knocked him just stated if he opens his shop as he said he will he will find he cant sell stuff at that price..staff ..insur. ..rent ...utils..ect cost alot..mark up on hunting gear is not great...what gets me is he trys to set guys up in there garages..
He told me he also has a 70 yd outdoor range where you can sh0ot at ground level or from a treestand. I did not see it as it was snowing the day
i was there, but I have no reason to disbelieve him. He's a good guy and I hope more people patronize his business.