Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

Default Fish hook removal.......from the fish not a person

Had a jackfish tonite pretty much have the 3 treble hook swallowed, pretty much impossible to take out without doing some serious damage.

Had the spring mouth opener, long needle nosed pliers and some helping hands but it was a mess.

Any tips or hints that you use to make it a bit easier for the fish and myself? Hate putting an undersized fish back in the water with damage too it. I try to be rather quick about it but still .......
Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Small high leverage cutters just cut the hook and leave it. It will be easier for the fish to recover from.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:47 PM

Our "Hook Out" works great for deep hooked fish.

http://www.landbigfish.com/showcase.cfm?PID=2818
Old 07-13-2012, 10:57 PM

Remove all treble hooks from your lures and replace with barbless single hooks. Problem solved.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 PM

I use a set of side cutters as a last resort and snip the hook/hooks as low as possible and salvage my lure and hope the fish isn't out of eating for two long. Caught a pike with broken gills hanging out of the gill plate that managed to heal up.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Remove all treble hooks from your lures and replace with barbless single hooks. Problem solved.
That's what I've started doing. I've also removed the middle treble hook from my Rapala lures, leaving only the tail hook. Too much trouble removing the lure from the fish, and too much of my blood spilling in the process lead me to adopt this practice.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
x2 wont be long before trebles are banned as they do more damage then any single barbed hook imho
Old 07-14-2012, 03:45 AM

another vote for sidecutters and cutting off as much as possible as said the fish will have a better chance of recovery
Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
x2 wont be long before trebles are banned as they do more damage then any single barbed hook imho
Yes they do! I'm clipping 1 hook off all my trebles. Doubles still give you better odds, and are easier to get out imo
Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Yes they do! I'm clipping 1 hook off all my trebles. Doubles still give you better odds, and are easier to get out imo
Depending on the aplication I dont find singles lessen your odds. Never tried them on cranks or bucktail spinners but with spoons I've never noticed a bit of difference. I pull the extra trebles off my cranks as well but IMO your better off leaving the front one on and replacing the rear one with a small spinner blade. Fish usualy strike at the head of their prey or across the body, I can probably count the number of fish I've caught on the tail hook over the years on one hand.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Banned

Default Mustad Ultrapoint

Quote:

The replacement hooks should weigh the same as the trebles you remove to keep the crankbait balanced.

Or remove both trebles and replace with only one. Determine if the pike are taking the bait from behind or alongside, then use that hook only. The trailing hook should sit point up and the midships hook should be pointed down. Use split rings.

Free
Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I used to do this also and someone mentioned balance so I switched to turning one pont in tight to the shank so it can't hook. I haven't had a difficult hook set since, both fish
Old 07-14-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Fish usualy strike at the head of their prey or across the body, I can probably count the number of fish I've caught on the tail hook over the years on one hand.
See I find the opposite. I have never hooked a fish (other than a stupid pike) with the front hook on a crank. Always the back or middle hook. I've foul hooked a couple in the head with the front but that always seems to be it!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM

Exclamation Cut the Hooks

Quote:
X2 or cut hooks. Common sense applies here. Cutting the two hooks off of the treble is more cost effective and takes less time to do than changing the whole the set up.
Most hardware stores carry heavy duty diagonal side cutters.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Exclamation Cutting the Hooks is cheaper

Quote:
Good idea but not cost effective. Cutting two barbs will is easier to do.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Personally, I hate treble hooks. The only time trebles should be used is if you plan on harvesting the fish.

Adopting a policy, something of this nature, into the regs would be great.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 PM

I have no problem with trebles. About 90% of the time it's either caught in the face of the fish, or it's just one hook in the mouth.

The other day a rainbow had 2 of the hook in te top, the other in the bottom. BeeGuy twisted the bottom hook and popped it, then pushed back on the top 2. Didn't take long at all and all I had to do after was twist the bent hook back where it was
Old 07-15-2012, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
See I find the opposite. I have never hooked a fish (other than a stupid pike) with the front hook on a crank. Always the back or middle hook. I've foul hooked a couple in the head with the front but that always seems to be it!
I've heard people say this befor, not doubting you at all but it just seems crazy to me. I dont know when I first started fishing cranks but I'd say by the time I was 15 I'm sure I had a few. I'm now 30 so thats 15 years of fishing cranks and hundreds of fish of all species and like I said its less than half a dozen that I've seen come in on the tail hook.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I've heard people say this befor, not doubting you at all but it just seems crazy to me. I dont know when I first started fishing cranks but I'd say by the time I was 15 I'm sure I had a few. I'm now 30 so thats 15 years of fishing cranks and hundreds of fish of all species and like I said its less than half a dozen that I've seen come in on the tail hook.
I've caught tons of pike on the tail hook of a crank...I'll be retrieving it and then suddenly the line will go slack because the fish hits it from behind, so you've gotta pick up the slack line like a madman and try to keep pressure on the line before they shake it.

But then I spend a lot of time chasing the snot rockets...walleye for example, could be different?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 AM

I have been cutting one hook off my trebs for the last 15 years. All raps and lures still work the same. I can't remember the last floater after release that I have had.

Dodger.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:35 PM

Good thread, hate it when a pike is hooked bad, I'm going to try cutting off one hook from each treble and see how that works.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM

I had to help a guy @ Coal Lake one day release a 13 inch pike that somehow on earth engulfed a 5 inch spoon with a treble....we unclasped the swivel from the hook and pulled it out through the gill plate opening....let the hungry little guy go. There was no way that hook was going to be pulled out through the mouth.....

LC
Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I've caught tons of pike on the tail hook of a crank...I'll be retrieving it and then suddenly the line will go slack because the fish hits it from behind, so you've gotta pick up the slack line like a madman and try to keep pressure on the line before they shake it.

But then I spend a lot of time chasing the snot rockets...walleye for example, could be different?
Like I said all species or at least walleye, pike, and a few species of trout. I'd say walleye seem more likely to be hooked on the rear hook than the pike or trout. I probably boat 100 walleye a year, for the last 4 of them the majority have been caught on crank baits and I'd say maby one or two a year at the most come in on the rear hook. Maby I'll try to keep track in the future and come up with some kind of ratio.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 AM

I've been replacing all trebles on lures with single hooks for several years (probably 7 or 8?) and it makes a huge difference in the ease of release. At least 75% of fish can be released without removing them from the water. A friend of mine uses trebles and if a fish is hooked deep it's pretty much guaranteed to get ripped up if you try to take the hook out. With a single, it is usually a pretty easy operation.

As far as it not being cost effective...I've bought 2 boxes of single barbless hooks since I started doing this. I do tend to fish with spoons (1 hook vs 3 on some cranks) more than anything else and also seem to lose very few lures so that will help stretch it out. Compared to the amount of money I spend on fishing in a year, a box of hooks every 3 years is really nothing...
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM

i do this as well. on all of the larger raps, i have even removed the top treble as well so i only have the tail hook. i fish with my young kids often and this makes life easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTrekr View Post
That's what I've started doing. I've also removed the middle treble hook from my Rapala lures, leaving only the tail hook. Too much trouble removing the lure from the fish, and too much of my blood spilling in the process lead me to adopt this practice.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 PM

The best thing for the health of the fish would be to remove all the hooks from the lure and talk the fish into being landed.