Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned

Thumbs up Tenkara - Anyone try this?

Anyone try this out?

Where did you find your rod and and line? Would like to go out and give it a go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=V0HPJWq940A
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Anyone try this out?

Where did you find your rod and and line? Would like to go out and give it a go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=V0HPJWq940A
Its a cool concept, I may try it someday. I just think it'd a little weird not being able to control the length of the line being presented. Other than that, I bet it lays down the flies with amazing presentation.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Tried one that a friend had, sort of like a willow pole wen I was a kid. My brother in law had a set up till a big brown decided to go south. he has since sold it in favor of a rod and reel.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Banned

Arrow

Went to Fish Tales in Calgary this afternoon and checked out the TFO rod they have in stock.

The one they had on display was broken, the line that you tie your tippet too was gone and a little blub of glue was in it's place. When the salesman grabbed one from the back and I played with it for a minute, I was fearful of breaking it....seemed very flimsy for it's $199 pricetag. It does have the TFO life time warranty and comes with a spare tip but just couldn't get too excited over it.

Maybe I'll just get a free stick and tie some line too it and give that a go first.......

Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM

Looks like a blast for smaller creeks, but I can't justify spending the money on them... been thinkin about it for years now, but never dropped the hammer.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Banned

There are companies who make great tenkara rods for a lot less than Tenkara or TFO. There is a blog that really gets in depth with all the alternative rods, bought some varivas tippet from the guy, great product and service.

Been interested as well, but never got into it.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Banned

Cool

Thought abought it with some excitement then got to see one used . Meh houking fish out of the creek . The fun is in the fight and there really is not fight imo you fish to hand like a cannal pole or you break off.a short elasticated pole would imo be more challenging.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 PM

I have one that I purchased directly from Tenkara. It has it's place and is quite exciting with a larger fish on and you basically have to run with the fish up or downstream. There's a lot of flex in the rod so that is basically your "spool"

If you need to walk through denser bush it is a pain as you can't really spool up the line conveniently. It is also tricky to land a larger fish solo.

Saying all this, I got a Sage 3wt for the smaller streams and I enjoy that more than the Tenkara now.