Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-20-2014, 02:19 PM

If I was the worrying type I'd be less concerned about ABB shooting at 70 yards and more worried that he's practicing shooting with his head lights on the target. lol Just Kidding.

In all seriousness nice shooting. I'm glad to see that bow hunting looks like it will work out for you this year. I just hope I can tune my Exodus when they arrive. Your other post has me nervous. lol
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-20-2014, 03:48 PM

Lol Zulu
Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 PM

nice shooting ABB, aim small miss small ..and do it on a big deer . Waiting for field photos .
Old 08-20-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
If I was the worrying type I'd be less concerned about ABB shooting at 70 yards and more worried that he's practicing shooting with his head lights on the target. lol Just Kidding.

In all seriousness nice shooting. I'm glad to see that bow hunting looks like it will work out for you this year. I just hope I can tune my Exodus when they arrive. Your other post has me nervous. lol
MikeW and i found they flew better taking the O ring off on the Exodus
Old 08-20-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
nice shooting ABB, aim small miss small ..and do it on a big deer . Waiting for field photos .
I don't know , seems some negativity going on just from him posting about having some fun shooting out to 80 yards. Imagine if he posted a dead animal killed by his bow
Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxor View Post
Bent out of shape eh? Why?
Taking a pot shot and praying is only your mindset.
There is nothing wrong with long distance kill shots.
It all comes down to skill and confidence.

That's impressive distance marksmanship ABB.
Keep that rolling and you will be able to shoot at a live target some day.

Yep that's some great shooting for sure. I kind of wanted to point out that just because you can shoot that far doesn't mean you should give it a go in hunting suitiations. There's a lot of hang time in arrows at 80,90,100 yrds ect. At the sound of your limbs most people would be able to get out of the way let alone an animal. A lot of people rely on long distance shooting rather than relying them on actually being a good Bowhunter and knowing how to close the distance. I have my fair share of animals under my belt with a stick and string and I'll be the last guy to congratulate someone who thinks bombing arrows long distance is something to brag about while hunting. That's why I stated if you want to hunt at 80yrds buy a muzzle loader.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:54 PM

Great shooting , What lighted nocks are you using ?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
MikeW and i found they flew better taking the O ring off on the Exodus
How close were they getting to your field points?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I don't know , seems some negativity going on just from him posting about having some fun shooting out to 80 yards. Imagine if he posted a dead animal killed by his bow
And where did I say anything negative ? I don't think I'm the one getting nit picky here .
Old 08-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
And where did I say anything negative ? I don't think I'm the one getting nit picky here .
I don't think he was talking about you

LC
Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I don't think he was talking about you

LC
It's all good ..
Old 08-21-2014, 04:42 PM

1520 King George does 12 shots at 240 yards in a row into the Cloth of Gold =Long Bow
1970 = compound 20 to 40 yard max at 180 fps
1990= compound 40 to 60 yard max at 240fps wheel change and arrows
2011= compound 70 to 100 yard max at 340 + fps new broadhead and equip

Ethics are changing and for some they will never change..

i have seen GREAT changes in the bows and archery in the last 40 years and i say KUDOS to the young Robin Hoods and William Tells(female too)
not every one is one of those shooter's but I have seen some that all I can say is WOW I envy you

Good Luck too all Bow Hunters

Be the Change you wish to see in the World- Ghandi

just so you are aware 80yds is very doable with todays bows

here are some videos.. missing(Chris may have take down now he has his own show) Kevin Spenst(The Hunting Chronicles) 72 yards on a Mule in a field by Peace River I think

our archery range is now 8oyds and you can walk back to make it 100 or 120

Practice practice practice

David
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJvPAgUfCa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuB_7CyqbE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLMa...eature=related

Last edited by Speckle55; 08-21-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 PM

Default 80 yards

Yup, 80 yards is easy with a bow nowadays but the mention of "hang time" was bang on. It takes a long time for an arrow to go 80 yards and in that time all the animal needs to do is take one step and it goes from an "atta boy" to another wounded animal.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Yup, 80 yards is easy with a bow nowadays but the mention of "hang time" was bang on. It takes a long time for an arrow to go 80 yards and in that time all the animal needs to do is take one step and it goes from an "atta boy" to another wounded animal.
Exactly why my personal imposed max range is 50 yards....but I prefer to shoot under 30.

LC
Old 08-21-2014, 10:05 PM

Yep less than a second with a 320fps

that's a lot of hang time

if the animal doesn't know your there

Its a clean kill as those videos show

Practice practice practice as LC is doing and that target has 3 arrows in less than 3 inches

as they do out here with a 70 yard and 80yd add this spring ,the 30 lane walk around all ready has some long shots

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 PM

In one second an animal can move a great distance. At even 20 yards they can start to jump the string. And I really doubt that many people are shooting hunting arrows at 320fps. On a target that does not move to hit the vitals can be done well passed 100 yards with relative ease for a good shooter. Most of those good shooters will not shoot an animal at those ranges because the chance of error grows ten fold. When shooting a target at a certain range you have had practice at that range and know your exact drop not the case when you see a deer at 86 yards or 93 yards and so on you better know your exact drops and yardage only one try to hit the mark. And no one shows videos of themselves wounding an animal just saying.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:16 PM

240 feet in 80 yards. Any arrow shooting faster than that will take sub one second to arrive.
That said there is a good point that your arrow starts to drop significantly after about 50 yards so knowing your bow and where it hits is valuable.
It's a personal decision but I won't call it unethical if the archer is smart and proficient.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Banned

Over 50-60yds is uncommon but also not unethical for a bow shot.
String jumping is more common at closer range than farther some say.
An 80 - 100yd bow shot is comparable to an 800 - 1000yd rifle shot.
Not many people do it but there are those who do it successfully.

If you're cranking on those who do it then it's probably because you are limited in skills.
I don't possess this skillset but I can appreciate those who do.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
You know I can remember when Chuck Adams...a finger shooter with compounds...with a second generation compound bow was shooting critters out to 50-60ys with a bow...

wholly crap Controversy...he was a demon...unethical...a mad man!!!

Chuck was the first archer to complete the "Super Slam" - the taking of all 27 species of North American big game. He has also bagged 111 Pope & Young record-book trophies and 181 Safari Club International records, more than anyone else in history.
Chuck is the only bowhunter to complete five Grand Slams on American deer, and hold five Pope & Young World Records. At age 50, he is the youngest archer ever inducted into the Bowhunters Hall of Fame and SCI Bowhunters Hall of Honor.

Neil
And he wore an awesome toque!
Every time I see a toque like that I think of Chuck. It was his trademark.

Just like whenever I see a deer in the headlights from now on, I'll be thinking of ABB trying to lobb an arrow at it.

Nice shooting by the way.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=Speckle55;2526126]Yep less than a second with a 320fps

Practice practice practice as LC is doing and that target has 3 arrows in less than 3 inches

as they do out here with a 70 yard and 80yd add this spring ,the 30 lane walk around all ready has some long shots

David

We should not be comparing a target to a hunting situation here.. Who cares you can plunk a stationary pillow at 50 or more yards. BIG difference in the world of hunting as the variables change constantly and your target does not wait nor allow for stationary "form" shooting.

Silly to think that practicing is even close to any actual hunting situation...
Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 AM

I like post 48 don't you

you really need to get out and shoot more and your comfort zone will change

David

[QUOTE=Sledhead71;2526370]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Yep less than a second with a 320fps

David

We should not be comparing a target to a hunting situation here.. Who cares you can plunk a stationary pillow at 50 or more yards. BIG difference in the world of hunting as the variables change constantly and your target does not wait nor allow for stationary "form" shooting.

Silly to think that practicing is even close to any actual hunting situation...
Old 08-22-2014, 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=Speckle55;2526501]I like post 48 don't you

David

Hate to break it to you David, but practicing does not mimic anything close to an actual hunting situation...

Those stationary pillows are tough to cook my friend
Old 08-22-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Over 50-60yds is uncommon but also not unethical for a bow shot.
String jumping is more common at closer range than farther some say.
An 80 - 100yd bow shot is comparable to an 800 - 1000yd rifle shot.
Not many people do it but there are those who do it successfully.

If you're cranking on those who do it then it's probably because you are limited in skills.
I don't possess this skillset but I can appreciate those who do.
String Jumping mostly credited to a loud bow...

Doesnt matter close range or far range...why?

Now if we put on our nerd hats...

The speed of sound is the distance travelled per unit of time by a sound wave propagating through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s). This is 1,234 kilometres per hour (666 kn; 767 mph), or about a kilometer in three seconds or a mile in five seconds

So until we have a bow that will break that 1,125 FPS we can factor out the noise only on String jumping...every critter will hear every bow go off...

its other factors...scent, shooter movement etc that has critter on spring coils prior to shot that sends them skyward...the shot was just the match to the rocket fuel...lol

Neil
Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
String Jumping mostly credited to a loud bow...

Doesnt matter close range or far range...why?

Now if we put on our nerd hats...

The speed of sound is the distance travelled per unit of time by a sound wave propagating through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s). This is 1,234 kilometres per hour (666 kn; 767 mph), or about a kilometer in three seconds or a mile in five seconds

So until we have a bow that will break that 1,125 FPS we can factor out the noise only on String jumping...every critter will hear every bow go off...

its other factors...scent, shooter movement etc that has critter on spring coils prior to shot that sends them skyward...the shot was just the match to the rocket fuel...lol

Neil
But if you practice, practice, practice, others would disagree with your experience in the field and the science behind your logic here Neil

We had a multiple provincial champion want to show us how to hunt one season, so no problem and lets go sit a stand.. There was plenty of "ya I know what I am doing" conversations but he still felt there was no difference in the pillow to hunt situations.. Needless to say, on camera to boot, this fella was humbled in a BIG way when he couldn't even pull his bow back when the target walked in at less than 20 yards.. Even better, this was over bait and he had plenty of time but couldn't even pull himself together to even let one go...

Anyways, enjoy the season and all the best to our group.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Sledhead71;2526508]
Quote:
I like post 48 don't you

David

Hate to break it to you David, but practicing does not mimic anything close to an actual hunting situation...

Then please enlighten us as to what does mimic real hunting?
I guess all my practicing is good for nothing?
I'll pass your wisdom on to all the professional athletes in the world that practicing does not mimic a real game.......Strange eh?

I liked your nerd report Neil !!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=Sledhead71;2526508]
Quote:
I like post 48 don't you

David

Exactly.It's all great to practice at those distances to increase your confidence,but realistically most of us shouldn't be shooting at critters that far away .Sure some have the skills to do it , that's all fine and good til they dump an arrow into the paunch cause the deer took a slight step forward or an unseen branch deflects the arrow. We owe the animal and our sport better .
Old 08-22-2014, 11:22 AM

lol...I think one or two or all three of us are mis-reading the meaning to what was said...
lets reread...

Neil
Old 08-22-2014, 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=Luxor;2526518]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

Then please enlighten us as to what does mimic real hunting?
I guess all my practicing is good for nothing?
I'll pass your wisdom on to all the professional athletes in the world that practicing does not mimic a real game.......Strange eh?

I liked your nerd report Neil !!
Oh boy Luxor, riddle me this....

Explain why a NHL player has a tough time adjusting to Olympic ice ? The game didn't change now did it

I guess these multi million dollar players didn't practice enough right ?

Change one variable and many struggle to achieve consistency, let alone change many in a "hunting" situation...
Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Sledhead71;2526548]
Quote:

Oh boy Luxor, riddle me this....

Explain why a NHL player has a tough time adjusting to Olympic ice ?

I guess these multi million dollar players didn't practice enough right ?

Change one variable and many struggle to achieve consistency, let alone change many in a "hunting" situation...
You make your questions too easy.
It's because they don't continually practice on the larger Olympic ice area.
Next question sir.....your serve lol

A good practice is one that mimics a real life situation as best as possible.
A good archer will practice in the woods and out of the treestand and in different weather conditions and distances and so on and so forth.
I carry 4 targets when practicing in the woods and change the setup regularly.

Last edited by Luxor; 08-22-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=Luxor;2526551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

You make your questions too easy.
It's because they don't continually practice on the larger Olympic ice area.
Next question sir.....your serve lol

A good practice is one that mimics a real life situation as best as possible.
A good archer will practice in the woods and out of the treestand and in different weather conditions and distances and so on and so forth.
We will get there soon I think Luxor

Pretty tough to account for "live" practice rounds legally How do you account for this LARGE variable while your practicing ?

You just can't compare practice to real world scenario's, or our cocky provincial champ friend wouldn't have to eat crow as he would be dining on back straps !!! LOL