Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-05-2014, 12:58 PM

many dual eccentric bows have no yokes now.....

they pull off of center pin of bow especially with the newer limb and limb pocket technology and thus are more resistant to limb twist....

don't kid yourself this technology is even older than the hybrid cam technology... Mathews is going backwards fast....

Put chrome on a corvair and call it whatever.... you still have a corvair....

Their last innovation was the monster which really was just a copy of the PSE x-force with bowtech style overdrive....

Quest has passed Mathews in the solo-cam department and that is the lower line of G5 Prime....

The name is all that is working....

In target archery many other companies have jumped on the shoot through bandwagon (Prime included) but the parallel cam technology will be proprietary for a few more years yet....

The next advance is going to be in riser technology and complete re-vamping in bow design.... Imagine bows where draw length will be irrelevant....
Old 11-05-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post

The next advance is going to be in riser technology and complete re-vamping in bow design.... Imagine bows where draw length will be irrelevant....

I believe that you are talking about the Epirus Bow of the movie "Imortals". I herd Hoyt is coming out with that next year and it will have a carbon riser. You should sell a pile.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:35 PM

LOL....just saw this....

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 06:38 PM

I'd like to try one why not. Always a fun afternoon to go to a bow shop shoot the **** and the new bows.

I remember last summer I shot what Lawrence had in his line up liked a few then I drew back this little pocket rocket with 70lb limbs and a 10" riser and was like wtf Mathews. Thank god they put the new technology into something with a decent ata length so your draw length isn't longer than your bow.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:29 PM

Haha way to go Mathews! down from 1 to 0. Talk about taking one step forward and two steps back!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:47 PM

Love my MR7. Has been a shooter for me for years, I have had 3 bows since then and will still pull it out every now and then to shoot.
but mathews hasn't brought out anything new or innovative or ect.... For years. Their recent line up of bows years after year has gone backwards while every other company is moving forward. They just laid off a bunch of employees and if this line up is their salvation, I sure hope they are saving cash for decent severance packages for future lay-offs.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:34 AM

I'm not to familiar with all this..... but it's really seems like blackberry. You can say their phones are behind the times, will never catch up, goin out of business, and all this crap. And all may be true! But at the end up the day, BlackBerry WILL sell a lot of phones, they still have people who love them, and...... they're richer than you. lol

Matthews may be a bit behind i reckon (not really knowing whats behind and whats not. Lol). But they still seem like pretty dang nice bows. Beauties. And I'm sure they perform very well. All these other folks might be ahead of them, but iphone and android are way ahead of blackberry, and they're still bringing home the bacon.

All in whatever blows your hair back. Being new to archery, if i ever upgrade my drenalin, or what a second bow for whatever (why only have 1). Heck.... I'll be giving those bows a look.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Never

I think we all like to poke fun time to time. Just like trucks.

Lol
"I just found out that my Daddy shoots a Bowtech" hahaha
Old 11-06-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
"I just found out that my Daddy shoots a Bowtech" hahaha
Tears of joy are a beautiful thing

LC
Old 11-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
No he looks scared
Old 11-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Or stricken with grief...lol
Old 11-06-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I am with you. all my friends have guzzeled the Hoyt ( great bows) cool-aid but my hands are firmly secured to my Bowtech. Like to try all the brands each year but so far none have beat my Bowtech although the prime did make me think if it was not so heavy.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:09 PM

Old 11-07-2014, 11:58 PM

Just standing back looking at all the posts I had to apply
my reply.

From Mat to Hoyt and Jennings to Bear I just had to laugh.

And if you all could not post your honest feelings then,
we all would loose out. And we all would be less for the knowlage
or the thought of why.

Guess I got wandering here, sorry about that.
Wouldn't it be a good thing to have bow manufacture produce a product
to better fit and suite the bow hunter ?

WoW?

Last edited by Bonescreek; 11-08-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
For the Solo Cam hunter...it looks like its the Z2

Neil
I like it!!
String silencers that double as accessory hooks.
Very innovative..
Old 11-09-2014, 01:31 PM

Looks like figure 3 on this page

www.dartonarchery.com/assets/round-ew-models.pdf

One gain I see by there design is splitting the cables to either side of the string track which will help cam lean/horizontal nock travel.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:45 PM

I want to try shooting one before i pass judgement on this bow, just really want to see if its a smooth as they say it is.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:02 PM

Lots of judgment yet no one has experienced shooting these bows.

Still enjoying my Mathews Extreme but looking forward to trying the new line up.

Last edited by nelsonob1; 11-09-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:04 PM

Old news. Just shoot an apa and you'll be set
Old 11-09-2014, 03:20 PM

they had to put a Teflon sleeve on to prevent the cam from contacting the cable and causing damage. I don't know much about bows but that seems like a poor design. Has this been a common thing with other bows? I know a lot of people are complaining about it from what I've read and if it isn't something that companies normally have to do, that would put me off of that bow.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...353921&page=20
Old 11-09-2014, 05:49 PM

Yeah, saw that over on AT....checked it out, the top one has clearance, the bottom one is touching, at least on the htr I saw today. Not what you want to see on a new design. Didn't have time to shoot it, and one new bow is my limit for this year anyway
Old 11-09-2014, 08:26 PM

What's most disturbing about these ugly bows,, and all the other big name bows is the price they're asking for them! Your getting an alloy riser, on most of them, limbs, a set of strings and two cams. For the prices they charge you'd think you were getting game changing innovations every year, but the fact is no mind boggling changes have been made in years. Until some ground breaking new materials and technologies become available we will be able to hunt with ANY of the quality bows designed in the past 15 years and not be handicapped. I have newer bows, but I'd rather take my 10 yr old ProTec hunting than get suckered in by some marketing BS. The laws of physics haven't changed, despite what the people who need to sell new bows every year will tell you.
It's nice to stack the odds in our favor by having quality equipment,, but there are no shortcuts to becoming good hunters. Great hunters have been harvesting record book animals for years with equipment that would get them laughed off the shooting line in a lot of archery ranges today. There's a ton of snob appeal in the archery equipment game. At one time Mathews was on the cutting edge, those days have come and gone, now they seem to be grasping at straws, playing catch up. You can only live on hype and past credentials for so long. I hope they survive and flourish, they were a great company.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:43 PM

Made the mistake of going over to AT ...only because the shops see them long before we do...

That site is like Real Housewifes hopped up on crack N Tim Hortons coffee and dognuts at a T party....

Everyone is a PRO there...otherwise known as "know it all fanboys"....lol

No PRO but have worked on just about every Mathews to date and from what I had to read I can see a few issues coming up with design...
For me cam lean or more presise NO cam cam lean...

that is going to be a huge issue as there is no way to adjust as in a static or other yoke systems...so any Variation in bearing wear, or limb warp/twist will cause NO cam cam lean

The cable protector sleeve is going to be an on going issue...you can see wear on cam on every bow shown...it may not effect shot but im sure hunters are not going to like a bright shinny silver cam sparking in the sunlight...

Still want to shoot one

Neil
Old 11-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Default Q1

Still got it and still use it for hunting. 240fps got my moose last year and deer this year.

It helps when you can get within 20-30 yards as well.

I had to buy bows for my kids though Z7's seem to work well too!

Being defeated is optional!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:07 PM

Default 2015 bow shoot out

Can't wait for the Mathews HTR to arrive so I can shoot along side new Elite Synergy 35, Prime Ion and Hoyt Nitrum at Accurate Archery and see what suits me best , nice to do this at one shop.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:54 PM

What exactly causes cam lean?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=L.O.S.T.Arrow;2614157] Made the mistake of going over to AT ...only because the shops see them long before we do...

That site is like Real Housewifes hopped up on crack N Tim Hortons coffee and dognuts at a T party....

No PRO but have worked on just about every Mathews to date and from what I had to read I can see a few issues coming up with design...

that is going to be a huge issue as there is no way to adjust as in a static or other yoke systems...so any Variation in bearing wear, or limb warp/twist will cause NO cam cam lean

The cable protector sleeve is going to be an on going issue...you can see wear on cam on every bow shown...it may not effect shot but im sure hunters are not going to like a bright shinny silver cam sparking in the sunlight...

Still want to shoot one

Neil[/QUOT

I will definately shoot one for the hell of it, getting me to buy one will be another story for sure. I for one do not like anything shinny and pretty on my bow and having anything rubbing sounds like a big hell no !!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:09 PM

I have personally shot one while I have been down here in Texas. Had to check out a shop the other day and was able to shoot the HTR and hoyt nitrium 30. The Mathews has been one of the most vibration free bow I have shot. Draw cycle to me felt significantly less than the draw weight. Although it was set at 57 lbs it felt effortless. The Hoyt at 64 lbs felt much more effort to pull. I am not a Mathews guy but did like the switchback owned a creed last year and if I were considering a new bow this one would be on my list, the cost is too high in my eyes but so are the Hoyt's. I am shooting an Elite E 35 and love the draw cycle and would rate the HTR as easy smooth draw as my E35 but the HTR has less hand shock than any bow I recall shooting. It literally holds still with very little if any noticeable vibration. And that is bare bow. For all those guys that are bashing Mathews should hold there tongue/ fingers until they shoot one and then pass judgement.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
What exactly causes cam lean?
Cam lean can be caused by several reasons...with some designs simple string stretch or settle can do it...bad bearings [chit happens] ...and the biggest culprit is limb warpage or twist...even so slightly with some...

Even some brands/models had slight issue with cable guard causing slight cam lean...*NOTICE* ...many bows may appear to have cam lean when bow is at rest...but when drawn all specs line up correctly

With some Solo cam bows with cam lean due to a twisted or warped limb we would swap limbs top to bottom...the warped limb on top than could be manipulated via the static yokes...bows with static yokes are easy to solve the issue...

Split limbs are an issue and many are simply replaced...[ some brands taking 4-6 weeks delivery]

Cam lean is rarely seen by the average bow hunter...and with many cases when the shooter thinks they are the reason bow is not accurate as it once was..it may be cam lean.

Another good reason for the average bowhunter without proper tools such as bow presses, Hooter Shooters, drawboards etc...to have bow inspected and spec tuned by a knowledgable archery PRO shop every year or every other year...

Neil
Old 11-13-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Made the mistake of going over to AT ...only because the shops see them long before we do...

Still want to shoot one

Neil
With the cables on either side of the string track should balance the load. It will be better than a regular two-track binary for cam lean issues. Without yokes to adjust for cam lean/nock travel having split limbs is a benefit over the a solid limb in this application unfortunately it may take some playing to get it just right, but in all reality only 1% are really skilled enough to make a difference.