Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-20-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Ok doky thanks for your professional legal advise...
Realy?
Old 06-20-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Realy?
Thanks Pete, I am surprised by the comment too....
Oh well, I'm sure others appreciate the effort made to clarify the rules.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-21-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
lol

Here is bowhunting as posted in Alberta hunting regulations posted on Alberta govement website... in full...

"BOWHUNTING

Note: The following applies to bowhunting other than with a cross-bow. Scroll down for information about hunting with cross-bows.

Except for the hunting of black bear, coyote, cougar or wolf under the circumstances as outlined under Access for Control of Livestock Predation, a Bowhunting Permit is required by anyone who hunts big game, game bird, wolf or coyote with a bow and arrow. Bowhunters with appropriate general or special licences may hunt during the general seasons, archery-only seasons and primitive weapon seasons. A Bowhunting Permit is required in combination with a big game licence. In some areas of the province, hunters require special licences to hunt certain species of big game – see season tables. A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued. Holders of a Landowner Special Licence are subject to the terms/conditions of their licence. Bowhunters are reminded that, in some situations, archery-only seasons for some species may be in progress at the same time as primitive weapon and rifle seasons for other species in the same WMU.

Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head. An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.
Hunters are asked to remove their tree stands at the end of the hunting seasons unless permission has been granted by the landholder to do otherwise."

Ones butt is at least is covered here...

Not good enough for you, Oh well..... lol
Neil
This only applies to big game and it mentions it several times.
Waterfowl have nothing to do with this.

Cat
Old 06-21-2015, 10:33 AM

Default Huntignbows

Sometimes when I make a mistake I dig my hole a lot deeper rather than admit that I was talking out of my butt. Often I think, why didn't I just admit these other guys are right? Bows for big game need to be 40 lbs. all other game is open to any weight bow. I highly recommend 50 lbs minimum for gophers they're tough and if they charge you need the stopping power.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Realy?
Yup really Pete...should I thank you also
Lol
Old 06-21-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Sometimes when I make a mistake I dig my hole a lot deeper rather than admit that I was talking out of my butt. Often I think, why didn't I just admit these other guys are right? Bows for big game need to be 40 lbs. all other game is open to any weight bow. I highly recommend 50 lbs minimum for gophers they're tough and if they charge you need the stopping power.
Ego, young man, it's your ego that talks from both ends. Some can control that beast, some can't.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 AM

well enough of this crap I have just phone the fish and wild life to see what they will come up with... as soon as he phones me back with an answer I will post so everyone know what they say
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
This only applies to big game and it mentions it several times.
Waterfowl have nothing to do with this.

Cat
I agree, just like hunting big game with a rifle. Need .224 or bigger. Doesn't mean one needs .224 or bigger for coyotes also.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm360 View Post
well enough of this crap I have just phone the fish and wild life to see what they will come up with... as soon as he phones me back with an answer I will post so everyone know what they say
lol...Ya I tried the E-Mail Friday morning...no replie yet...Let us know for sure...
thanks
Neil
Old 06-22-2015, 01:59 PM

I just asked a retired warden that I know- he was in long enough to be upgraded to an area superintendent.
He told me that the authorized arrow and #40 bow are only for big game as in the regulations.If a #40 bow was needed for small game, non game, upland or waterfowl it would be mentioned which it is not.
He is a bowhunter and rifleman as well.
Cat
Old 06-23-2015, 08:46 AM

regardless of bow used, bring lots of arrows to fling at birds ... you'll need them.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Ego, young man, it's your ego that talks from both ends. Some can control that beast, some can't.
Now your a psychologist... lol

Ego has nothing to do with this...

Back to the subject....
Not to be confused with small game of bird game...

We are talking about a goose..Miratory Bird

This is what I speak of...A proposal done last year for Environment Canada’s Migratory Birds ...which govenrens Miratory birds on a canada wide scale...This proposal was done in March 2014...

https://www.ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/4D5FB...ry%20Birds.pdf

Sec 3.3

"The Regulations would be amended to include a new description of
allowable bows. The requirements are proposed as follows:
A bow (long, recurve or compound) must have a minimum draw weight of 18 kg or
40 lb and use an arrow with a broadhead with at least two sharp blades a minimum
of 22 mm or 7/8” wide. For cross bows, the requirement is for a minimum draw
weight of 45 kg or about 100 lb, and a bolt with a broadhead a minimum of 22 mm
or 7/8” wide with at least two sharp blades.
Matching provincial requirements
Where provincial requirements for bows used for hunting game birds are different than
those described above, we could consider an option to adopt provincial specifications. In
general, the specifications in provincial regulations for hunting turkeys match very well with
what would be needed to hunt geese."

This will define An "Authorised bow" for Miratory bird

Which makes sence...

Neil
Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 AM

That is just a proposal Neil . It is not law.

Here is the complete section.
3.3 Using bows
Background
Currently, the Regulations allow hunting of migratory birds with a long bow. A “long bow”
includes a recurve bow and a compound bow.
The problem
Some hunters are requesting that the Canadian Wildlife Service add cross bows as a legal
means of hunting. However, others believe that hunting with bows of any kind should be
prohibited
because insufficiently powerful equipment or inappropriate types of arrows or
bolts can result in crippling of birds. Images posted across the Internet of birds still living
with arrows stuck through their bodies do nothing to alleviate negative public perception of
hunting.
If instances of crippling are to be reduced, it is important to ensure that requirements for
bows—regardless of their type—are appropriate for hunting waterfowl.
Options
Table 3.3: Options considered for a new concept of using bows
OPTIONS PROS CONS

1. Continue to allow use of long
bows—but add cross bows

‐ Deals with the inconsistency
of not allowing cross bows
for no apparent reason
‐ Does not address crippling
issues
2. Continue to allow use of long
bow—but add cross bows AND
specifications to ensure killing
power for all bows
RECOMMENDED
‐ Addresses crippling issue ‐ None
3. Prohibit use of bows for
hunting migratory birds
‐ Eliminate bows as a source
of crippling
‐ Eliminate something
hunters enjoy instead of
fixing it
Recommended solution – Option 232
KEY MESSAGES
Ensure that bows are sufficiently powerful
Under Option 2, the Regulations would be amended to include a new description of
allowable bows.
The requirements are proposed as follows:
40 lb and use an arrow with a broadhead with at least two sharp blades a minimum
Where provincial requirements for bows used for hunting game birds are different than
those described above, we could consider an option to adopt provincial specifications.
In
general, the specifications in provincial regulations for hunting turkeys match very well with
what would be needed to hunt geese.
Thus, the proposal (above) adopts the minimum of the provincial requirements, ensuring
that hunters would not have to purchase new additional archery equipment to hunt
migratory birds.
Objectives achieved
 Addresses the issue of crippling
Deals with the current inconsistency of not allowing cross bows for no apparent
reason
 Meets the requests of hunters and increases their enjoyment of hunting
HIGHLIGHTS
The proposed approach responds to the request from hunters to allow use of cross bows,
and also reduces the potential for crippling.

Last edited by petew; 06-23-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
regardless of bow used, bring lots of arrows to fling at birds ... you'll need them.
Are you saying that a person can use any bow, regardless of its draw weight, for hunting non-big game wildlife in Alberta?

-----

Neil, the last thing I desire is to suggest or direct disrespect towards you. You have given much to this forum and the hunting community, this is obvious and deservers attention. Please put the shovel away....

As an addition to my previous psychoanalysis, it is easy to see why LOST Arrow is such a deadly bow hunter, the guy just never gives up.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
That is just a proposal Neil .

Here is the complete section.
3.3 Using bows
Background
Currently, the Regulations allow hunting of migratory birds with a long bow. A “long bow”
includes a recurve bow and a compound bow.
The problem
Some hunters are requesting that the Canadian Wildlife Service add cross bows as a legal
means of hunting. However, others believe that hunting with bows of any kind should be
prohibited because insufficiently powerful equipment or inappropriate types of arrows or
bolts can result in crippling of birds. Images posted across the Internet of birds still living
with arrows stuck through their bodies do nothing to alleviate negative public perception of
hunting.
If instances of crippling are to be reduced, it is important to ensure that requirements for
bows—regardless of their type—are appropriate for hunting waterfowl.
Options
Table 3.3: Options considered for a new concept of using bows
OPTIONS PROS CONS
1. Continue to allow use of long
bows—but add cross bows
‐ Deals with the inconsistency
of not allowing cross bows
for no apparent reason
‐ Does not address crippling
issues
2. Continue to allow use of long
bow—but add cross bows AND
specifications to ensure killing
power for all bows
RECOMMENDED
‐ Addresses crippling issue ‐ None
3. Prohibit use of bows for
hunting migratory birds
‐ Eliminate bows as a source
of crippling
‐ Eliminate something
hunters enjoy instead of
fixing it
Recommended solution – Option 2
KEY MESSAGES
Ensure that bows are sufficiently powerful
Under Option 2, the Regulations would be amended to include a new description of
allowable bows. The requirements are proposed as follows:
those described above, we could consider an option to adopt provincial specifications. In
what would be needed to hunt geese.
Thus, the proposal (above) adopts the minimum of the provincial requirements, ensuring
that hunters would not have to purchase new additional archery equipment to hunt
migratory birds.
Objectives achieved
 Addresses the issue of crippling
 Deals with the current inconsistency of not allowing cross bows for no apparent
reason
 Meets the requests of hunters and increases their enjoyment of hunting
HIGHLIGHTS
The proposed approach responds to the request from hunters to allow use of cross bows,
and also reduces the potential for crippling.

Correct it is a proposal...conducted by/consulted for Federal Goverment in place for a year and can be incorperated Canada wide soon...

Simply shows its not absurb or wrong to define what an authorised bow is/proposed/in our future

Most of the States have an Authorised bow for turkey hunting 35 lb to 40lb with broadheads...Geese are simular

No one was saying a 10lb recurve with a field point couldnt take one down...or that I personlly think we should have a authorised bow...all we were discussing what was an authorised bow or more specific where did it specify or determine so...

The way the proposal reads is clear that Alberta's "Authorised bow" specifys to Big Game only...Period!!!

Determined!!!

The proposal is in place and we will simply have to wait and see what the future determines...

Neil
Old 06-23-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that a person can use any bow, regardless of its draw weight, for hunting non-big game wildlife in Alberta?

-----

Neil, the last thing I desire is to suggest or direct disrespect towards you. You have given much to this forum and the hunting community, this is obvious and deservers attention. Please put the shovel away....

As an addition to my previous psychoanalysis, it is easy to see why LOST Arrow is such a deadly bow hunter, the guy just never gives up.
Didnt see any disrespect..just an disccusion with a few ribs...lol
All good...I sincerely respect your opinions and points also...

You proved to me that Alberta's "Authorised bow" relates to Big Game Only!!!

Thank you
Neil
Old 06-23-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:

-----

I believe he just means that when hunting birds one may go threw the arrows...when we hunted Geese out of a blind we had a tub full of flu flus tipped with broadheads...didnt take long to go out looking for arrows with an empty tub...lol
Old 06-23-2015, 11:25 AM

An interesting part of the proposal is the constant reference to Crossbows. This is mostly what the proposal is really about . The Crossbow lobby , more than anything else. As for requiring broadheads, that's a good one and it makes sense. I am not a fan at all of blunts or field points for hunting anything. Using broadheads it will take a lot less bow to kill cleanly than with those other things.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
An interesting part of the proposal is the constant reference to Crossbows. This is mostly what the proposal is really about . The Crossbow lobby , more than anything else. As for requiring broadheads, that's a good one and it makes sense. I am not a fan at all of blunts or field points for hunting anything. Using broadheads it will take a lot less bow to kill cleanly than with those other things.
I agree 100% on blunts or field points...

Im thinking that a few Province's are lobbying hard for the crossbows...
A few provinces like BC really surprissed me..

A rundown of provincial and territorial regulations

While crossbows are becoming more popular, and accepted, all the time, there are still provinces and territories where they’re not legal. Here’s where you can, and can’t, hunt with a crossbow in Canada. And before you hunt, be sure to check provincial hunting regulations for information on hunting licence requirements and restrictions that may apply to the use of bows.

BRITISH COLUMBIA

Crossbows are legal for all seasons, including special bow-only seasons, unless otherwise indicated under the regional schedules. 
MORE INFO: (250) 387-9771; B.C. hunting regulations.

ALBERTA

Crossbows are legal for all seasons, except bow-only. That said, they are legal in archery-only seasons for eligible handicapped hunters with a crossbow license. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 100 pounds.
 MORE INFO: (780) 944-0313; Alberta hunting regulations.

SASKATCHEWAN

Crossbows are legal only during muzzleloader and rifle seasons, except in the Regina, Moosejaw, Saskatoon, Buckland and Prince Albert wildlife management zones, where crossbows are allowed during all open seasons. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 150 pounds and broadheads must have a cutting diameter of 7/8 of an inch. MORE INFO: (306) 975-4087; Saskatchewan hunting regulations.

MANITOBA

Crossbows may be used during muzzleloader and rifle seasons. A hunter may not be in possession of a crossbow while hunting during archery or shotgun/muzzloader seasons. A person hunting big game shall not be in possession of a crossbow requiring less than 150-pounds draw weight or an arrow using a broadhead less than 7/8 of an inch in width. Under the authority of a Disabled Crossbow permit, a permanently disabled archer may use a crossbow during an archery season.
 MORE INFO: (204) 945-6784; Manitoba hunting Regulations.

ONTARIO

Crossbows are legal, except during gun-only seasons. There’s a minimum 119-pound draw weight and 12-inch draw length for moose and bear, and 100-pound draw weight and 12-inch draw length for deer.
 MORE INFO: 1-800-667-1940 or (705) 755-2000; Ontario hunting Regulations.

QUEBEC

Except in zones 17, 22, 23 and 24, you can hunt with a crossbow during firearm-, shotgun- or muzzleloader seasons. However, it’s illegal to hunt with them during specific bow-only seasons (with some exceptions.) Crossbows are legal during bow season for disabled hunters who have received a special permit. MORE INFO: 
(418) 627-8600; Quebec hunting regulations.

NEW BRUNSWICK

In New Brunswick, crossbows may be used by certified hunters during all hunting seasons
except for the deer archery season, and for hunting migratory game birds.
 MORE INFO: (506) 453-3826; New Brunswick hunting regulations.

NOVA SCOTIA

Crossbows are legal in all hunting situations where conventional bows may be used, except the special open season for bowhunting deer. The crossbow must have a draw weight of 150 pounds or greater and bolts with heads more than 2.2 centimetres in diameter. MORE INFO: (902) 424-6723; Nova Scotia hunting regulations.

PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND

Legal for hunting all game species, except migratory birds. MORE INFO: (902) 368-4683; P.E.I. hunting regulations.

NEWFOUNDLAND

Crossbows are illegal.
 MORE INFO: (709) 729-2830; Newfoundland and Labrador hunting regulations.

YUKON TERRITORY

Crossbows are illegal. 
MORE INFO: (867) 667-5652; Yukon hunting regulations.

NORTHWEST TERRITORIES

Crossbows are legal.
MORE INFO: (867) 873-7500; N.W.T. hunting regulations.

NUNAVUT

Crossbows are legal. Bows or crossbows may not be taken into a wildlife sanctuary. MORE INFO: (867) 975-7700; Nunavut hunting regulations.

Neil
Old 06-23-2015, 05:40 PM

It's a friggin' PROPOSAL!! It is NOT law that you need a 40 pound bow in Alberta.
Cat
Old 06-24-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It's a friggin' PROPOSAL!! It is NOT law that you need a 40 pound bow in Alberta.
Cat
lol...Your right on the ball today.....if you read ...that has been mentioned and determined several times...!!!

Neil
Old 06-24-2015, 09:57 AM

still no word from any fish and wildlife officer, left another message today with an officer .....
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
still no word from any fish and wildlife officer, left another message today with an officer .....
Ya ...as I shop owner I wanted something in writing I could see other than the regs either way... from someone in the government...
I contacted both federal and provincial Envrio and SRD..did get a couple answers..."contact your local F&W officer"...I explained they didnt know either hence why I was contacting them...

Finaly found my answer above on my own!!!

Neil
Old 06-24-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Ya ...as I shop owner I wanted something in writing I could see other than the regs either way... from someone in the government...
I contacted both federal and provincial Envrio and SRD..did get a couple answers..."contact your local F&W officer"...I explained they didnt know either hence why I was contacting them...

Finaly found my answer above on my own!!!

Neil
I will keep bugging them till I get answer that way they do there job
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-24-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I will keep bugging them till I get answer that way they do there job
LOL you go Sir!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 05:19 PM

delete
Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 AM