Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM

If your not a bowhunter and not interested in BOWHUNTING topics why come to this forum?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonker892 View Post
If your not a bowhunter and not interested in BOWHUNTING topics why come to this forum?
Well I imagine that comment was directed at me but who knows.

Cause I have an opinion is that good for you?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 06-25-2010, 12:23 PM

No Its not. If I wanted your opinion I would go to the other forum and ask
Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 PM

Default Not a bowhunting forum

Quote:
AO is not a bowhunting forum. If you're seeking bowhunting forums go to bowzone.ca or bowsite.com or archerytalk.com.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
After reading this tripe I have made a decision. There will be no bow hunting allowed on my property in the future. The elitist attitude of so many of you bowhunters on here has pushed me over the edge.

Thank you for calling me a retard, you are correct, granting permission to everyone who asks is retarded.
The main problem here hillbilly is i don't think you hear the overall voice here...but a good majority of the bowhunting elitist ARE here and fighting the selfish battle wherever they can.

End of day i hope the elitist attitude of the few still holding out doesn't ruin bowhunting opportunity on your, or any other landowners, lands. I think Zonker just caught wind of it and is having his initial knee jerk reaction as so many of us do. Its not until we all get read up and edjumacated on the subject before we calm down and not say such amazing things as Zonker did with his 27th post etc.

I am a bowhunter who fights for the crossbow inclusion as on a logical approach...ie; how it performs in the hands of hunters on game.....the crossbow is every single bit a bow in the eyes of bowhunting and simply opens more doors for the not so elite among us Alberta Hunters. So i'm 100% for it and 100% against the selfish attitudes...i'm willing to see whatever changes need to be made to put this bow in with the rest of the bows

As to some of the others....why would you educate false stuff about the crossbow to landowners you know? Sure, short term gain for you....its like deflection tactics....hey, look at this guy, what a pos he is for using a poachers tool....should keep you in good graces and give a common side to have with the landowner for a few years i guess....keep on with the selfish stuff.

I personally don't understand it, i would simply educate the landowners i hunt with the truth....i think that sort of thing ultimately goes alot further with people.....people don't like to be fed bullshizzo, usually comes back around in something known as karma.

Hey hillbilly, how about you ask any bowhunters who ask permission to hunt your land if they agreed with or disagreed with crossbow inclusion and make your decision to allow access based on that? I bet you'd be lettin fairly few people on your land anyhow lol.....so pm me your legal and i'll pop by, you can give me the test maybe see if i pass?

Anyhow, your choice, but i can see why you'd say what you said after reading stuff from total ignorance like zonker posted.....shame on you zonker, and shame on anyone lieing to landowners!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

and here we go again......oh lord

so what are you going to say to the landowners then? that its not a bow???? LOL, when anyone can google for a few minutes and find some harvest comparison stats that say it is every bit a bow? i shake my head....what could possibly be the point of lieing to landowners? this is a wonderful tool that opens doors into bowhunting for all sizes/strengths/experience levels....how and why would you not explain that to landowners?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
No Its not. If I wanted your opinion I would go to the other forum and ask
Clue in man everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to what they think whether they are right or wrong. you are doing nothing for us bowhunters who actually care about the sport. Start a thread when there is already an ongoing thread and get two farmers/ landowners mad at bowhunters. Man are you doing an awesome job. get a life and quit while you are ahead.

Dave and HillbillyReefer

from one landowner to another stopping one group of hunters from going on your land because of one idiot is not good at all. We as hunters need to stick together for the good of the sport.

Please accept this as an apoligy from the hunters and sports people who care and appreciate what you landowners do for us hunters. Please dont let one A#$hole ruin it for the rest.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:35 PM

There shouldn't be a group trying to steal from another group. We should be united as a hunting society, in increasing the oppoturnity for all hunters, ( archery, rifle, muzzle loaders and xbows).

We should be advocating for the inclusion of an extended season.That way minorty groups such as muzzleloaders and crossbows also have a season to call their own, which they deserve. Whether that season is in the middle of an already asigned season, or my opinion an extending the season in august or december. That would open the door to everyone. Everyone in that senerio walks away happy, having gained something.

The result of having xbows included in archery season, has already been stated that draws would be required. The huge influx of extra draws would decrease odds, and increase draws times by years, for all Albertan hunters, we already hate waiting with what we have now.

The best hunting and draw system in North America will soon resemble something much like the U.S states, why should we ruin something that works great.We are the envy of so many hunting systems already.

Potty
Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
There shouldn't be a group trying to steal from another group. We should be united as a hunting society, in increasing the oppoturnity for all hunters, ( archery, rifle, muzzle loaders and xbows).
just what we're trying to do here, increase opportunity while also doing something that makes sense by putting ALL the like tools in the like groups...will just call it 'bowhunting' now instead of 'archery' hunting....we bin callin it bowhuntin for long time anyways, now its just time to get on with it and adapt, from a regular non-biased look at the tools effectiveness its a bow....from a management perspective its a bow....for the not so physically gifted its a physically equalizing bow....whats not to love

Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

The best hunting and draw system in North America will soon resemble something much like the U.S states, why should we ruin something that works great.We are the envy of so many hunting systems already.

Potty
might be getting slightly carried away and overly pessemistic here...with todays bowhunters with todays gear we have been teetering on the edge and have pushed zones over the edge to draws already, the only real answer would be to lump compounds in with crossbows in the general season as they are 100x closer fit to crossbows than traditional gear...and then traditional all the way in the early season...thats the only way to get the percentage of harvest numbers low enough to get it all off draw or move away from the inevitable of going on draw anyhow

whaddayasay potty...you going longbow or recurve?....i'm down with the recurve myself but your a bit more hardcore, i could see you going with home built longbow
Old 06-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Banned

a few draws for the odd trophy or moose here and there aint the end of the world...we still get the long seasons and plenty of tags in the pocket, small price to pay for added benefit of opportunity for all albertas hunters to wait a few years for the moose etc.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
a few draws for the odd trophy or moose here and there aint the end of the world...we still get the long seasons and plenty of tags in the pocket, small price to pay for added benefit of opportunity for all albertas hunters to wait a few years for the moose etc.
I figure we should just put archery tags on a draw anyway.I feel there is way to much killed with a bow and those numbers keep going up.I think this would help out on bringing back the trophy quality that we all use to see.I also think we need to limit the amout of non res people coming here as some draws such as antelope,elk and mules are getting up there to even draw a tag.I thought that is why we have outfitters? So non reidents can hunt here?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Thumbs up

Yes very true we have worked sooo hard to get the bowhunting oppertunities that we do have in Alberta and manage these seasons with utmost total control and the numbers stay consistant and very few stay successfull year after year but hey why not take away our world class hunting here and make the entire system all a draw and we can wait five years at a time just to draw our string back on a bull moose(cow elk,mule deer)and then you are right buckslayer we will wait years to hunt them and your friends that come up from the states and hire an outfitter can come hunt moose in a new zone every year along with a muley tag in your favourite area you have bein waiting to hunt for the last 5 years...

LEAVE THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE ALLREADY KEEP THE GUNS AND THE GUNS THAT SHOOT ARROWS IN THERE OWN SEASON AND LET US ARCHERS CONTINUE TO DO OUR THING AND QUIT HATIN ON US. AND GET OUT AT LEAST 4-5 DAYS A WEEK TO PRACTICE WITH THE EQUIPMENT TILL YOUR COMFORTABLE WITH IT AND IF THATS TOO HARD GO CRY ABOUT A ROTATOR CUFF OR WHATEVER AND JOIN ALL THE OTHER HANDICAPS THAT ENJOY THE HANDICAPS WEAPON KNOWN AS THE CROSSBOW.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Alberta View Post

LEAVE THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE ALLREADY KEEP THE GUNS AND THE GUNS THAT SHOOT ARROWS IN THERE OWN SEASON AND LET US ARCHERS CONTINUE TO DO OUR THING AND QUIT HATIN ON US. AND GET OUT AT LEAST 4-5 DAYS A WEEK TO PRACTICE WITH THE EQUIPMENT TILL YOUR COMFORTABLE WITH IT AND IF THATS TOO HARD GO CRY ABOUT A ROTATOR CUFF OR WHATEVER AND JOIN ALL THE OTHER HANDICAPS THAT ENJOY THE HANDICAPS WEAPON KNOWN AS THE CROSSBOW.
I hunt with anything they allow me to because I love to hunt. All methods have their place. Just because people hunt with a rifle or crossbow doesnt make them anyless of hunters than you bowhunters.
I think the biggest worry here is guys are scared that if there is anymore competition they wont be good enough bowhunters to compete.
If there are more hunters out there the "TRUE" hunters which many of these bowhunters are claiming to be, they should be able to out hunt the other wanna be hunters that switch to crossbows.

SG
Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

yup, we will out hunt the crossbow converts and we'll out shoot em too

no threat to this bowhunter, just makes easier to take noobs with me
Old 06-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Alberta View Post
KEEP THE GUNS AND THE GUNS THAT SHOOT ARROWS IN THERE OWN SEASON .
these crossbows propelling arrows with powder and going bang now? if so then i would agree with that statement, crossbows are bows that shoot arrows....harvest stat percentages prove that over and over
Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I hunt with anything they allow me to because I love to hunt. All methods have their place. Just because people hunt with a rifle or crossbow doesnt make them anyless of hunters than you bowhunters.
I think the biggest worry here is guys are scared that if there is anymore competition they wont be good enough bowhunters to compete.
If there are more hunters out there the "TRUE" hunters which many of these bowhunters are claiming to be, they should be able to out hunt the other wanna be hunters that switch to crossbows.

SG
further to that....it all comes back to the same thing in the end...the success is not about the tool....it all comes down to the hunter, harvest stat percentages say the same thing so the crossbow obviously comes with its own set of challenges that make is basically equal with the compound bows set of challenges....the draw factor isn't even close to being a big deal or harvest stats would show us

99% hunter, 1% tool and yes, the most hardcore of us will shoot compounds and trad. equipment....so overall we likely will out hunt the crossbow users but not because of the tool
Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=Stinky Coyote;619159]yup, we will out hunt the crossbow converts and we'll out shoot em too

no threat to this bowhunter, just makes easier to take noobs with me [/QUOTE]

I enjoy taking newbie's every year, not every 5 that the xbows and draws will bring. C'mon Stinky growth in hunting means only to add a season, not combine.

Everyone in this province was given a new oppoturnity when the archery season was developed. IF xbows join the archery season, only rifle hunter have something to gain.
Creating a new season for Xbows would open the doors for every Albertan once again, nothing would be taken away from any group!!!!!!!!!

It would create a whole new , extra season to take newbie's out. NOT ONE group would be upset with a 3rd season/weapon, and extension of our season. I for one would like the chance to try a diffrent method, without interferring with my yearly plans.

Tell me I'm wrong.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 PM

hmmm, don't quite know what to say about this topic.

I'm a HUNTER - a recurve bow HUNTER (which I shoot instinctively), crossbow HUNTER - my crossbow is a recurve too, rifle and shotgun HUNTER. I am not a compound bow HUNTER simply because I can't stand such high tech contraptions, but that's a personal preference I have tried them, my buddy had one and we hunted together for years, and I thought they were just way too easy to shoot - compared to my recurve which takes real skill l!!!!!

As a transplant to Alberta (been here almost 2 years now) from Ontario I can only share from my experiences. One being that some of us who are busy paying bills and taking care of families don't have time or place to practice several days a week with our archery hunting equipment, thus, for ethical reasons, I don't use my recurve bow for hunting at the present time, maybe if I could practice in my yard I would, but bylaws say I can't, oh well, that's just the reality.
The realities of life limit my time afield, and I'm sure that's probably true to say for many of us who hunt and fish and enjoy the outdoors. So if I can get out more - to enjoy HUNTING (which rarely ends up with tagging an animal) - I would love to do so, thus I'm all in favour of including crossBOWS in archery seasons, or at least a part of the archery seasons in areas where they are long. Fortunately, up here in the north, our archery seasons are short anyway, so I can take my crossBOW out instead of a rifle, or carry them both - ha, ha.

I grew up in southern Ontario, and there was only a limited archery season for deer when I was younger; then, due to the deer population growing exponentially, seasons were gradually opened up. Limited draws for shotgun season were created, and archery seasons were expanded. Now, and for the past number of years, you can get multiple tags for deer in many areas in southern Ontario. Archery seasons there include crossBOWS and the deer population is still expanding!!! So, what I'm trying to communicate is that expanded archery hunting opportunities haven't hurt the deer populations at all - at least not there.

Note: I've only commented on deer hunting examples in southern Ontario because that's what I hunted there. I'm not commenting on any other big game hunting and what expanding opportunities for hunting might mean here in Alberta. If there are limited numbers of critters that can be harvested, and more folks out hoping to bag them, then there has to be draws for tags, that's just a reality we have to support in order to enhance and enjoy our hunting activities.
One more thing I'll comment on about Alberta - gentlemen (and hunting ladies too) ya'll should be glad ya'll may have the opportunity to hunt many different big game animals! Coming from a place where you would never have such opportunity, like me, Alberta is the promised land for hunting - even if you have to wait for your name to be drawn for a particular kind of hunt experience! Enjoy what you've got, and be glad others get to enjoy it too.

Just one more thing and I'm outta here: the crossBOW / traditional bow / compound bow debate here in Alberta just seems really dumb to me because it is so divisive. It smacks of elitism of the worst kind. I've experienced it first-hand: when I divulged to a representative from the ABA I met at the Edmonton Sportman's Show that I owned and hunted with a crossBOW, he basically called me "an enemy of Alberta's wildlife" and hunting fraternity Sheesh! What a _____________! And now I'm before I get really
Old 06-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Mistagin, Thanx for your insight, great post. I actually know nothing about Ontairio hunting, maybe you could help me out.

Do you know how many Vertical hunters there were before the xbow inclusion, and how many after?

Does Ont. have any bow only zones?

Is there alot of private land hunting in Ont? or is it more Northern Ont crown land?

How long is the Bow/xbow season?

What animals could you hunt? and what were the typical draw times? before and after?

Are you saying that with your vertical bow, you choose not to hunt with it because of the commitment it takes, and xbows are alot easier to handle?

For the record, I disagree with the Aba guy, you are not the enemy. People who fail to see that there are solutions that would satisfy all Albertans are to blame. thx in advance for the insight into Ontairio.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM

[QUOTE=pottymouth;619328]
Quote:
yup, we will out hunt the crossbow converts and we'll out shoot em too

no threat to this bowhunter, just makes easier to take noobs with me [/QUOTE]

I enjoy taking newbie's every year, not every 5 that the xbows and draws will bring. C'mon Stinky growth in hunting means only to add a season, not combine.

Everyone in this province was given a new oppoturnity when the archery season was developed. IF xbows join the archery season, only rifle hunter have something to gain.
Creating a new season for Xbows would open the doors for every Albertan once again, nothing would be taken away from any group!!!!!!!!!

It would create a whole new , extra season to take newbie's out. NOT ONE group would be upset with a 3rd season/weapon, and extension of our season. I for one would like the chance to try a diffrent method, without interferring with my yearly plans.

Tell me I'm wrong.
Maybe a new season exclusively for crossbows would be O.K. And since most of a good part of Alberta has 2 months bow season and one month rifle season,it makes perfect sense to give one month to crossbows,one month to archery and one month to rifle. That would be fair.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM

From reading other posts,I am pretty sure Pottymouth was suggesting a new season post rifle season,correct me if I am wrong. But won't that have the same result as your biggest argument against xbows in archery season, more animals killed and more tags going to draw?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

if its just another bow now studied and educated as it relates to bowhunting its effectiveness about equal to compounds then why would it make sense to create a new season for it? there are only selfish/elitist reasons to create a new and separate season....it sounds kind of like this to me....

"hey all you not so strong/capable/free time to practice people(old/young/weaker/injured etc.) why don't you take your crossbow season in december when the days are shortest and cold and miserable and hunt then???....."why don't you just enjoy your december/january hunt and leave us strong dedicated guys alone with our nice weather long days hunting season?"

even though the tools capabilities basically identical on game performance.......kind of an insulting little go eff yourself kind of suggestion don't you think? lol

holy smokes, you find out its a misplaced bow and how does it not make sense to get it in with the right group of tools????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:

Tell me I'm wrong.
I've been telling you your wrong for months now Potty....you just keep telling me i'm wrong....maybe it will have to be solved at the bike racks after school.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy 454 View Post
From reading other posts,I am pretty sure Pottymouth was suggesting a new season post rifle season,correct me if I am wrong. But won't that have the same result as your biggest argument against xbows in archery season, more animals killed and more tags going to draw?
My biggest arguement, isn't more game killed, by creating a seperate season that should help people. My biggest arguements are the draws being introduced in archery season, the lack of space in the the bowzones already available, and the sudden influx of xbows might cause archery to be listed as endangered.

More animals killed doesn't neccessarily mean more animals on draw. When you create a seperate season, animals that already require a draw will remain a draw. Animals that don't require a draw may be hunted in the NEW primitive weapons season without a draw.

Now if you normally shoot your Whitetail with a rifle and you shoot it with your Xbow it still counts as one deer. You just have to decide which season you want to pull the pin. Might actually make people hold out for bigger bucks too! The true meat hunter could really careless about any of this, except he gets a longer chance.

On a economical stand point, you create a primitive weapons liecense, just like bowhunters have and that should create more revenue. It definatly creates more intrest and extra time, while not taking any other hunting time away from peoples pre determined hunting schedules.

How does that sound bad??
Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
if its just another bow now studied and educated as it relates to bowhunting its effectiveness about equal to compounds then why would it make sense to create a new season for it? there are only selfish/elitist reasons to create a new and separate season....it sounds kind of like this to me....

"hey all you not so strong/capable/free time to practice people(old/young/weaker/injured etc.) why don't you take your crossbow season in december when the days are shortest and cold and miserable and hunt then???....."why don't you just enjoy your december/january hunt and leave us strong dedicated guys alone with our nice weather long days hunting season?"

even though the tools capabilities basically identical on game performance.......kind of an insulting little go eff yourself kind of suggestion don't you think? lol

holy smokes, you find out its a misplaced bow and how does it not make sense to get it in with the right group of tools????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????
Sinky stinky stinky, First of all IF you take the time and actually read what i said you would see I said either have the extra season in Aug, Dec, or even in the middle if need be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

The weak or injured already can get a permit to hunt with a Xbow, perhaps IF we made it that anyone under 18 , or over 55 may also be eligible to obtain an xbow permit.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

I don't think it's an F'd suggestion, I think that everyone loses a little and everyone gain a little, at the end everyone walks away with their head held high and their dignity, happy to have a 3rd tool in a 3rd season as an option.

4thly Stinky, everytime I ask you to meet me at the bike racks, you always drive by in your Rhino and wave............................... I hope your not gonna ask that it be treated like a horse are you?????
Old 06-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm Gun ( AR-15) parts just bolt on eh!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T234GhX5FVE
Old 06-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Banned

Bring the cross bows in and make a bow and rifle draw which you can apply for both but can only draw one.Just like antelope.This will limit the numbers of people in the field.So it is more controled than it is.But I still think no more non res hunters as we have to many already.This would make it fair for everybody.I also say when you draw a rifle tag you can hunt with any weapon.Bow,muzzleloader,and rifle.Just like they do in Sask.Other than this one I feel we should leave it alone as I love to bow hunt and rifle hunt.That is my 2 cents.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 PM

watched the 'YOUTUBE VIDEO" listed in pottymouths post.. ya evryone is right ,this crossbow will probably have same success rates as a hand held and drawn bow .. excuse me my tongue is bleeding from biting it..
Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
watched the 'YOUTUBE VIDEO" listed in pottymouths post.. ya evryone is right ,this crossbow will probably have same success rates as a hand held and drawn bow .. excuse me my tongue is bleeding from biting it..
thats what has been shown in EVERY jurisdiction that they are currently allowed in. why do you think it would be different here?