Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 08:10 PM

Default Sylvan - 2018/19 & The Beat Goes On !

Count down to opening day has started, got some of my stuff organized today, fresh premium fuel/oil mix, my old faithful Jiffy Model 30 started on 1st pull, sharpened/honed up the blades, set up the shed it's good to go, filled the propane tank/stove works, the Marcum is fully charged and finds a few fish, GPS needed new batteries, found my cleats ..... tomorrow going to get my sled & punch a test hole or two at Sunbreaker Boat Launch. Stay tuned Mr. Snap, will update ice conditions, more to follow.

Still a few items on my to-do-list .... hope to find some fresh P-Mag's & some M-Worms for Scott, none in Sylvan, I imagine they should be available within the next week or so.

Plan to focus on Whites in Sylvan opening morning and maybe hit Gull late afternoon & evening, looking forward to getting out .... how about you ?

D.

Ab Reg's ... says "0" Pike in Sylvan & Gull appears to be the same this year.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fis.../PP2-Lakes.pdf

Old 11-27-2018, 09:27 PM

Wow that is an old school auger and tent!
Old 11-27-2018, 09:30 PM

i wanna gooo!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2018, 12:18 PM

Nice Zip! I'll miss opening day this year but plan to make it there on the first weekend. Keep the reports coming

Nice to see you have a Shappell. I just picked up the BayRunner II this year. I'm sure I'll be glad I did. I sets up quicker than any tent and is very functional. The real test will be on the ice. I plan to use it for run and gone missions.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:47 PM

We love your updates Zip, keep them coming And make sure to change battery in your camera lol, you do post amazing photos as well
Old 11-28-2018, 03:43 PM

Default Thanks for the updates Mr Z

Old augers work the best, everything is made out of plastic nowadays! Thanks for the updates, I plan on checking out Sunbreaker on opening day!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice Zip! I'll miss opening day this year but plan to make it there on the first weekend. Keep the reports coming

Nice to see you have a Shappell. I just picked up the BayRunner II this year. I'm sure I'll be glad I did. I sets up quicker than any tent and is very functional. The real test will be on the ice. I plan to use it for run and gone missions.

Mr Snap, I'm sure you'll enjoy the new Shappell, their very well built and super easy to set up in seconds. Scott & I needed to downsize to one man style tents to be more mobile, he found me the S2000 & my Clam had to go. To move 20 ft to a new hole all I have to do is real up close the trap door and drag it over the next hole, don't need to turn off my heater or put anything away ..... Zip & I'm gone.

I've only got 2 weeks to have my fun, I'll be reading your posts & admiring your pics from Arizona & SoCal this winter.

All the best ....

David

Old 12-11-2018, 08:08 AM

Well I really hope they bite on powerbait maggots lol everyone is sold out in sylvan. Tight lines everyone on opening day!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2018, 12:11 PM

Opening Day - Half Time Results

Calgary G-Cup champs colors scored within 10 minutes of the starting (8:00 a.m.) and scored a second TD .... 5 minutes later. Then had some action with the Brown & Green Glow Bead, but no hook ups. Scott scored the 3rd on Yellow/Brown wrap W/W.

Our Sundre buddies joined us this morning, fishin with 3 Scott's ... , when I yell Scott one's going your way, they all get quiet/serious.

A few pic's so far ....

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-11-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:17 PM

Well Done ZZ. You are the Whitefish Guru!

BW
Old 12-11-2018, 01:12 PM

sweet!!!! im jelous...love the updates!!!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:26 PM

Yes it was nice to meet up with zz and bwack. Caught a small perch but whites are being elusive. Have a video of them kissing my hook but can't post it. The whites that is. Lol

Old 12-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
Yes it was nice to meet up with zz and bwack. Caught a small perch but whites are being elusive. Have a video of them kissing my hook but can't post it. The whites that is. Lol

We enjoyed your company today, too bad the afternoon was so slow, hope things improve if you return tomorrow.

Hope you can figure out how to upload that video, others here would get a kick of your kissy-kissy Whitefish.

Cheers

David

Old 12-11-2018, 06:17 PM

This afternoon, I had to go see the Tooth Fairy and got my crown installed on a dental implant, what a long & expensive process.

When I returned the guys had a few stories but no fish on ice, we kept drilling and moving around seen a few Whites & the big Pike but they lost interest in the Calgary G-Cup colors switched up a couple of times but nothing worked. No fish were caught in the afternoon and we didn't see much moving around from 3:00 to just after 4:00 .... we decided to call it a day.

The Mrs will be enjoying a fresh fish dinner tonight.

Tomorrow I may try Gull or perhaps RR23 on Sylvan.

D.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:24 PM

That looks delicious! Are those done boneless?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
This afternoon, I had to go see the Tooth Fairy and got my crown installed on a dental implant, what a long & expensive process.

When I returned the guys had a few stories but no fish on ice, we kept drilling and moving around seen a few Whites & the big Pike but they lost interest in the Calgary G-Cup colors switched up a couple of times but nothing worked. No fish were caught in the afternoon and we didn't see much moving around from 3:00 to just after 4:00 .... we decided to call it a day.

The Mrs will be enjoying a fresh fish dinner tonight.

Tomorrow I may try Gull or perhaps RR23 on Sylvan.

D.

Last edited by skawtty; 12-11-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
That looks delicious! Are those done boneless?

Skawtty ... of course, but I left one so she could find it. She also said Chardonnay goes good with Whitefish, me thinks Chardonnay goes good with just about everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent.till View Post
Anyone have an update on ice thickness on gull today? Thanks
Brent.till ... we walked out at Sandy Point on Dec 08th as the gate was locked, laser'd 200 yds to the shoreline, lots of snow, ice was 7" a mix of black & white surface with flood water coming up/out the hole.

Mr Snap .... tks we thought it was going to be a hot morning/day with all the activity within the first 1/2 hour or so, then it progressively slowed down. We all had our opportunities but just couldn't get a good hook up, very frustrating. The one's I cleaned were all Males, we seen some bigger fish, perhaps females, but they sure were shy.

Note: I made up a few more Calgary Red/Black tonight and a new prototype to field test tomorrow, Hot Pink/Black the pic doesn't do it any justice and the wrap isn't my best work. This combo will be my first line tomorrow, will update accordingly.

D.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
We enjoyed your company today, too bad the afternoon was so slow, hope things improve if you return tomorrow.

Hope you can figure out how to upload that video, others here would get a kick of your kissy-kissy Whitefish.

Cheers

David
OK here is is the video, I had to make it on YouTube (My First Video LOL ) Kinda lame for first one but now hopefully more to come. ENJOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iErZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 PM

Anyone have an update on ice thickness on gull today? Thanks
Old 12-11-2018, 10:07 PM

Nice work Zip and team

Keep the reports coming.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Had a better fishing day with my wife this morning at sylvan. She out fished me and was glad to see it. 6 - 4. Think that Jack was hanging around from yesterday as it made her scream when he went by under the ice lol. We took enough for supper and they were delicious and boneless!! Calgary hook from zz produced 4 out of 10.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Had a better fishing day with my wife this morning at sylvan. She out fished me and was glad to see it. 6 - 4. Think that Jack was hanging around from yesterday as it made her scream when he went by under the ice lol. We took enough for supper and they were delicious and boneless!! Calgary hook from zz produced 4 out of 10.

AHHH I see my problem I don't use Kokanee. Guess I have to switch.LOL LOL
Old 12-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Correct!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
Old 12-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
Those Kokanee guys will do anything for an advertisement.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-12-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Scott .... pleased to see/read you & the Mrs had an enjoyable & productive day. It appears a few of them are a bit bigger than what we seen yesterday. Don't loose the Calgary G-Cup Champs W/W, it's priceless now.

Wish you all the best ...

D.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Awesome!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2018, 09:09 PM

Girlfriend and I are going to follow up with last years date and hopefully do some more creations Friday night and see how they work out Saturday. Looking forward to it last years worked out awesome. (Posted a page or two back)

Thanks for the updates yet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2018, 11:52 AM

Hey Zip, do you always fish 2 w/w on one rod? I’ve never been able to tie it properly and when I have only one lays vertical and the other does what it wants. I find it tends to produce nothing at all.

With that being said do you normally pick two closely matched patterns or completely different?

Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Hey Zip, do you always fish 2 w/w on one rod? I’ve never been able to tie it properly and when I have only one lays vertical and the other does what it wants. I find it tends to produce nothing at all.

With that being said do you normally pick two closely matched patterns or completely different?

Just look at Zip's thread about it:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=274328

He just recently recanted about how he likes to tie them so go to the end of the thread.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:29 PM

i tied some brown black WW with a white bead!!!!

lets see!!!!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:21 PM

Lucky Dec. 13th … Redemption Day

Changed the tread title, to reflect Sylvan info, plan to give Gull a try next week and start a new thread.

My fishin buddy BwackW had to work, met up with Scott & Scott at Norglenwold, it was a slow start to the morning my first fish was a small Walleye, we move around & started to see a bunch of active Whites ended up having a great afternoon and came home with my 5/limit before 3:30, both Scott/Scott also went home with their limits, good company & great day fishin.

Hope Scott posts his video of a Muskrat that pestered us, the little bugger scared the crap out of me when he came up my hole and grabbed my boot to try to get into my shed, it got a rod tip across the noggin!

Today you needed to be flexible what worked yesterday (Dark’s Brown/Black) didn’t work today, I changed up a couple of times this afternoon & found what they wanted. To be more specific caught 4 Whites in 20 minutes around at 12:30 on Candy Cane Yellow/Orange, it was Zip’n time!

Fishing Tip ….. most everyone has 1 perhaps 2 W/W’s on 1 rod, I fish 2 - 10” holes cut side-x-side, when you get bored rather than raising the rod tip & letting your W/W’s slowly drift down try swimming them with a slight jigging motion from one end to the other end, in my example that’s 20” of horizontal swimming action, it was effective and triggered a few more fish/hook-ups for me today. I you’re in deeper water vary you depth I start higher & work down to the bottom … give it a try.

Taking tomorrow off, hope to get out with Scott/Bwack on the weekend, a few pic’s.

Cheers

David

First of the Day – Black W/W & ½ M-Worm

Nice Bottom Structure for Whites & Walleyes.

Try Swimming & Jigging W/W Horizontal through the Hole

Only got 1 on Brown & P-Mag in the Morning

Got 3 on Red with Glow Bead

Winner this afternoon - 6 Whites on Candy Cane Yellow/Orange & Green Glow Bead (No Bait).

Landed 10 Whites today my “Three Sister’s” made my Day!

Keep those hooks sharp ....

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-13-2018 at 08:28 PM.