Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Talking Only 53 days until Fishing Saltwater!

I am thinking May 21, either going to hit Kitimat or Rupert.

Your plans?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-21-2019, 02:15 PM

I think your getting a little excited to smell the salt again lol can’t blame you. I’ve tied up all my salmon and bottom fish rigs for this season now just need to fix a few eyes on my rods and I’m ready. Hopefully going to Rupert twice this season end of June and beginning of August and hook up a few big smiley’z.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8B4F4BA3-2226-41AE-8563-0B722A4291D4.jpg (23.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 02:25 PM

Moving to Oz as soon as the house sells. Eight years of working over here has changed my opinion of the motherland and I’m ready to leave. After we get settled on the coast I’m picking up a barcrusher 670ht. There will be a learning curve but by the time the Hecate strait is loaded up with spring and coho I should be trolling for tuna and marlin. I work with plenty of guys over here who can show me the ropes and I’m looking forward to quality fishing year round.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
I think your getting a little excited to smell the salt again lol can’t blame you. I’ve tied up all my salmon and bottom fish rigs for this season now just need to fix a few eyes on my rods and I’m ready. Hopefully going to Rupert twice this season end of June and beginning of August and hook up a few big smiley’z.
I am sickened to hear that the weather there has been +8 and sunny, thats better than it was in July!!!

I would go tomorrow if my boat was there.

Actually I would still be fishing tomorrow if my boat was there, I would have been there all fall.

I might just leave it there next fall, tarp it up and go whenthehellever the mood hits!

Your pic is great, even giving the cameraman the finger lol

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-21-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I am sickened to hear that the weather there has been +8 and sunny, thats better than it was in July!!!

I would go tomorrow if my boat was there.

Actually I would still be fishing tomorrow if my boat was there, I would have been there all fall.

I might just leave it there next fall, tarp it up and go whenthehellever the mood hits!

Your pic is great, even giving the cameraman the finger lol
I almost bought a house there a few years ago still wish I did should of would of could have damn it!!

Nice temperatures there but have you seen how windy it’s been there lately nasty doesn’t do it justice. Wonder what is damaged or destroyed this year.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:03 PM

Prices are better now, with everything cancelled their real estate market will be flat as the ocean every day I am not there.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 PM

Just got back from the salt water of Mazatlan, soooooo needed that fix.
Lots of (over 100+ fish) sea bass, pargo, pompano, etc. Looking forward to going to Cabo in March. Something about that fresh tropical sea breeze.
Only hiccup was using an Online booking service called 'FishingBooker.com', they didn't follow through with their commitment and took my deposit. Tried to get it back but they are out of Virginia and won't budge.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:40 AM

Thumbs up

Woohoo 53 days, 2 trips planned for sure, thinking of an August one too.

Your plans?

Old 03-28-2019, 01:54 PM

Other than getting out on the salt again, there really is not alot to look forward to until the coho start to move in.

Cuts to the limits, poor run forecasts, collapse of alot of ground fish stocks, ....

Probably not going to the Coast this year myself. Been abused by conditions last few years at Nootka Sound and simply not in the mood to let BC Ferries anally ventilate me again.

Drewski
Old 03-28-2019, 05:45 PM

We are 100% going into Alaska IF weather permits, definately going to have to travel a little further on the boat but since we are there anyway, 4 hali in 2 days per person any size sounds real damn good to me. Imagine bringing home 4 65-75 lb hali all processed. The best one I ever got was 133 cm, 75 lbs. The meat was just as good as the chickens.

The Hali changes are weird too, 1 to 126cm, or 2 under 90cm. I know there are going to be so many that poach and cull, I am new to it so a keepable hali in the boat makes for a great day, then off to another spot for ling or salmon!

Salmon is still a little in the air, but there is a lot out there to fish for and I just love being there.

Ling, coho, springs, hali, crab, prawns, octoleggy creatures, rock cod, what an amazing place to go. Something new every time.

I have yet to catch a monster ling, going to work harder on that this summer.

If I had a better winter I would be putting an ipilot electronic anchor deal on the tubtoy, apparently there is something in the works from Powrtran.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Woohoo 53 days, 2 trips planned for sure, thinking of an August one too.

Your plans?
Kitimat in a week or two, Rupert May, Rupert June, Rupert July and Sunshine Coast August.
Watching the recent weather on the north coast makes me wanna hook onto the boat and get Rollin!! Can’t wait!!
Old 03-28-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Kitimat in a week or two, Rupert May, Rupert June, Rupert July and Sunshine Coast August.
Watching the recent weather on the north coast makes me wanna hook onto the boat and get Rollin!! Can’t wait!!
I watched it all winter, unbelievably nice while it was ugly here.

I might just leave my boat there this year, then go whenever the urge hits me. Frees up my garage for winter too.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I watched it all winter, unbelievably nice while it was ugly here.

I might just leave my boat there this year, then go whenever the urge hits me. Frees up my garage for winter too.
Where in Rupert could a boat full of gear be stored for an extended period without having any of the gear ripped off?? Possibly leave it in the water at the yacht club?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Where in Rupert could a boat full of gear be stored for an extended period without having any of the gear ripped off?? Possibly leave it in the water at the yacht club?
Seasport and Bridgeview have locked compounds, monthly and yearly rates

Old 03-29-2019, 01:12 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Other than getting out on the salt again, there really is not alot to look forward to until the coho start to move in.

Cuts to the limits, poor run forecasts, collapse of alot of ground fish stocks, ....

Probably not going to the Coast this year myself. Been abused by conditions last few years at Nootka Sound and simply not in the mood to let BC Ferries anally ventilate me again.

Drewski
Ground fish limits are still generous in my opinion (minus halibut) 6 rockfish 4 lingcod (IT SHOULD BE 6, long story but DFO is not following science as per usual....listening to ENGO's under Trudeau, it's insane how much they do that under this government, need Con's back!!!) 4 Chinook (in our area) and if Coho are running 4 more Works out to about 130-150lbs of fillets per person...IMO that's a lot and no more is needed. If you want 200+lbs, go to Alaska unguided (only way to get it) and even then learning curve is very steep especially for salmon and most go home with 50-100lbs of fillets per person from what I hear directly from them).

Should be about the experience and if you take 100 lbs home...BONUS!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 03-29-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I am thinking May 21, either going to hit Kitimat or Rupert.

Your plans?
Looks like the end of June for two weeks, launch in Kitimat and hopefully make it out to the Estevan group.
I hope Hartley Bay doesn't run out of fuel again.
Ken do plan on staying in Kitimat and day tripping up the channel?
Old 03-30-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Looks like the end of June for two weeks, launch in Kitimat and hopefully make it out to the Estevan group.
I hope Hartley Bay doesn't run out of fuel again.
Ken do plan on staying in Kitimat and day tripping up the channel?
My buddy is going a couple weeks earlier so we arent meeting in Kitimat. I am going right to Rupert 3rd week may