Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2014, 08:46 PM

I buy based on service now. I had two Chevys in high school, then bought. 98 then 05 then 07 Cummins. Then, I decided to try a Ford and it turns out that dealer has been AMAZING, so now the wife and I buy Ford's based on that. If the dodge dealer had service like that I'd be in a new six speed manual Cummins, but they don't.

I try and buy my toys based on service as well. Because, let's face it, every truck needs service at one time or another.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 PM

FORD built without your tax dollars.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 PM

I've always had Fords and Chevs....the chevs on average had more mechanical problems...driving my first Dodge right now, so far, so good.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuel View Post
I buy based on service now. I had two Chevys in high school, then bought. 98 then 05 then 07 Cummins. Then, I decided to try a Ford and it turns out that dealer has been AMAZING, so now the wife and I buy Ford's based on that. If the dodge dealer had service like that I'd be in a new six speed manual Cummins, but they don't.

I try and buy my toys based on service as well. Because, let's face it, every truck needs service at one time or another.
That's a very true statement! I drove 8 hours to get my trailer 2 years ago because all the local dealer an hour away from me wanted to do was tell me how crappy all the other products they didn't sell were. Add to that he was telling ME what I could and couldn't afford 5 min after I met him and the fact he didn't know his own product. Beware the Ford Dealer in Bozeman, lol, I'd walk before I'd buy a vehicle from them!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:39 AM

Agreed. Attitude and product knowledge play a huge part. I want to LIKE being in their store before I ever even drop a dime on their product.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:54 PM

Thumbs up Truck Loyalty

Always been partial to Chev's. My first truck was a 71 Chev with 3 on the tree, and a 307 V8 under the hood. Had 91000 on it when I bought it, as it was all I could afford. Pull into the service station - fill the oil and check the gas. Went through alot of oil until someone suggested I put a can of "motor honey" in it. Solved the burning oil problem.

Next truck was a new 1980 Datsun pickup. Major rust issues on the box seams. Datsun 'fixed it' by having a body shop smooth off the rust and paint over it. When the rust returned a short time after it was "fixed' I went back to the dealer. Dealer's reply was "too bad so sad - we fixed it once so we are not fixing it again. I wound up suing Nissan Canada. Once their lawyer saw the photos, the truck was fixed properly at a body shop of my choice - at their expense.

Since then I have had two Chev Blazers, and a Chev Colorado. Have had the Colorado for a little over 10 years, and just over 100 k on it. Looking at trading it off on a new 2015 Colorado, or a Toyota Tacoma. Just waiting for the Colorado's to hit the lots so I can compare and price shop them. Best deal gets my business, as long as the truck has what I need, and not all the extras I don't want. It may come down to custom ordering a vehicle.

Other than warranty work, I do not get my vehicles serviced at the dealership. Got screwed on the Colorado, so now I have a mechanic/technician who I can trust, and know won't screw me. He gets all the work on the truck, and on my car.

Mr Conservation
Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 PM

I have had troubles with all of em. IMHO the best drive on or off road is chev or gm.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Banned

Default No loyalty from me

Ford decided to AXE the Ranger and under it's umbrella the Mazda B series(Ford owned Mazda).

Ford AXED the Ranger and also Ford AXED me as a customer/buyer.No I dont want an F-150/F-250/F-350 etc I want a Ranger.....but Ford killed the truck and Ford killed me as a buyer.

I liked my Ford Ranger's....bought 2 of them new and would be buying another one but Ford killed the Ranger.

I have no other interest in Ford products.I dont want to buy a big behemoth truck that guzzles gas and is a penis extention(no need for it I am manly enough)

The Ford Ranger got the job done and I liked it.Ford killed it so goodbye Ford.

FTH
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 AM

I'm a GM fan but only on their full size truck offerings. Loyalty to GM was handed down thru the family and really remains today as these pick-ups have been quite reliable (we’ve owned many) and if you need to maintain or repair they are about a simple as it gets mechanically compare to the other manufactures. I’ve had the opportunity to drive several Ford’s thru my place of employment and their good trucks too but IMHO not as good as GM in terms of fuel economy, ride, and reliability.

Toyota is Toyota. Reliability is likely the best however it’s a small marginal difference these days and Toyota falls short on all other aspects. If you drive a pick-up daily those others aspects are quite important. I feel they certainly are not worth the added premium either.

Never been a fan of any Chrysler products although the Ram hands down would be the best offering they have in their entire line-up but the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Anything else out there in my mind doesn’t count.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
Ford decided to AXE the Ranger and under it's umbrella the Mazda B series(Ford owned Mazda).

Ford AXED the Ranger and also Ford AXED me as a customer/buyer.No I dont want an F-150/F-250/F-350 etc I want a Ranger.....but Ford killed the truck and Ford killed me as a buyer.

I liked my Ford Ranger's....bought 2 of them new and would be buying another one but Ford killed the Ranger.

I have no other interest in Ford products.I dont want to buy a big behemoth truck that guzzles gas and is a penis extention(no need for it I am manly enough)

FTH
I also love my ranger. I bought my 2011 because I knew they were done making them and it has turned out to be the best truck I've owned. I HOPE Ford comes out with a repllacement that is just as simple and tough but I can't see it.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:

FTH
My BIL's new f-150 gets better highway mileage than his Ranger did.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:

FTH
Has it been "fully" axed, or just axed in US / Canada? There's lots of newer ones with options you can't get here south of the US border. Quad cab's, utility beds, etc. They actually like them down there quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post

Anything else out there in my mind doesn’t count.
And..... that's why you drive a Chev.. =)
Old 10-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Interesting thread.

Personally, I love the Nissan Titan. Partially brand loyalty, partially due to the ride.

I worked in the car business a long time, with the last couple years spent exporting trucks to the US. I've driven Fords, Dodges, GM/Chev, Toyota, Nissan and many others. Here's my personal findings:

- fuel mileage sucks on all of them
- found the ride of the Nissan to be the smoothest (more car like)
- found the Dodge's to be the roughest ride
- imports (hard to call them that anymore) - Toyota/Nissan have a higher resale value, but also less negotiating room at point of sale (pay me now, pay me later)
- Ford has the most gizmos (also more things to go wrong)
- Toyota has the most bland interior (where you spend most of your time looking at a vehicle)
- they all otherwise drove, towed, hauled and went where each other went. The one thing to consider is if you're planning to haul, and what that might be. With Ford, Dodge and GM/Chev, you can move into 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles for heavier pulls, which the imports haven't addressed...yet.

Cheers
Old 10-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Same as the rest. I look around when I'm in the market for a new truck. The coolest looking machine gets first dibs and I work my way towards the most practical.

consumerreports.org always gets a good look before I pull the trigger on a "good deal".
Old 10-29-2014, 03:57 PM

Not allowed in the driveway unless it's a Ford. We've added another F350
that's not in this lineup.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
My BIL's new f-150 gets better highway mileage than his Ranger did.
That is only true if the Ranger in question has the 4.0 litre V6 with automatic transmission.That model of Ranger was a gas sucking fuel piggy.

All 3 of my Rangers had an inline 4 with 5 on the floor(2 new 1 used and I liked the used one the most as it had a king cab)

FTH
Old 10-29-2014, 08:19 PM

I drive an F150 after using them for work on the ice roads in the NWT, they got me and others out of few snowy jams. However, the new chevs look great and the Dodge Eco diesel might have made me think twice about Ford if I was buying today.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:38 PM

I have an issue with a company that issues recalls but can't afford to supply the parts for said recall.... So I can't see myself ever buying another Dodge / Chrysler / jeep product.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 PM

I have owned all of the big 3 north american companies over my 30 years of driving. They all quit making trucks in 1996 as far as I am concerned. I currently drive a 1992 gmc 4x4 and have a 2014 dodge 1500 4x4 as a back up vehicle. Lol.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 PM

I buy whatever tickles my fancy at the time. Either dodge or ford. May consider a Chevy when I get my old age pension lol
Old 10-29-2014, 11:48 PM

I'd seriously consider any truck with a Cummins motor. I'd look at the new Titan with the 5 L Cummins if I was in the market for a 1/2 ton.

I have a 1 ton Dodge with the 6.7 and love the engine and the ability to load up the truck and still be able to tow with it. I've had no problems with the engine and replaced suspension parts as routine maintenance. For me it's a truck and meant to work. If it was my only vehicle and I was more concerned about the ride I'd probably have a Chev/GMC Duramax 1 ton or consider a Ford 6.7 in a 1 ton body.... or have a daily driver like the Ford Ecoboost 1/2 ton.

I wouldn't pick up the Venturi Dodge Ecodiesel as I was not too impressed by the Jeep Venturi Diesel that I owned for two years.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post

Truck Loyalty . . .

My take on this, is that it's a 'Fools Folly' to be forever, blindly loyal to any one brand. And it's sad to see that a few here still subscribe to that old-school thought.

No offence intended, but a quote from Forrest Gump comes to mind ... "Stupid is, as stupid does."

Let the arrows fly!

Mac

Last edited by Selkirk; 10-30-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 AM

We use all three NA brands at work for service trucks so I get to drive them all on a daily basis. The Fords are always the first ones picked in the morning and seem to have the fewest problems. Before taking my current job 15yrs ago I had no bias one over another, but now would go Ford, then GM and waaaaay back in the pack Dodge.

My personal driver is an '09 Tacoma SR5 ext cab 4x4 4cyl 5speed. I would buy another one of those tomorrow if I needed another personal truck.