Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 07:14 PM

Default Change in the Sylvan Lake Regs

What does everyone think about this change for 2010? To me it just means all the kids that like to go out after school and fish in an area where they will catch a few will no longer have that opportunity. The lake is 100% catch and release for walleye anyways so what's the big deal ???

Anyways here's how it reads..........

"Sylvan Lake & tributaries – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm;
Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 5; Burbot limit 3.
the portion of lake southwest of a line drawn from the northeastern
most tip of the landfill pier in Sylvan Lake Provincial Park located
at NW 33-38-1-W5M due northwest to the point on the shoreline
where the boundary between the town of Sylvan Lake and the
Summer Village of Norglenwold meet the lake located at
NE 32-38-1-W5M. Including all tributary streams.
April 1 to June 30 – CLOSED
"
Old 05-09-2010, 08:09 PM

I started a thread on this a month or so ago. I think it is a big deal for the kids but no one else seemed interested. SL is excellent opportunity to introduce kids to fishing even if thier parents don't fish.

The lake is teaming with Walleye. They should just let the kids fish.

I think the F&W officers are going to be very busy explaining the new rules to the kids that don't read the regs.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:33 AM

Not to mention, under 16 you don't need a license, how will they know what is open or closed without benefit of a Reg book
Old 05-10-2010, 02:32 PM

I really don't understand the implementation of the new regs myself unless it is somehow supposed to protect spawning. If anything, Sylvan should really implement some kind of Walleye harvest. Perhaps the tag system. I know I've been able to easily catch upwards of 30 Walleye in an afternoon/evening on the lake. A couple years ago I caught a Walleye in the marina that was easily 8lbs.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post
Not to mention, under 16 you don't need a license, how will they know what is open or closed without benefit of a Reg book
Under 16 or over 65, you still have to know and learn the regs.........no excuses......
Old 05-10-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm pretty sure most 10 year old could give a rats ***** about reading a Reg Book let alone understand the geographical area hi lited in said book
Old 05-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Can they fine kids or do they have to go after the parents?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 PM

They probably just tell them off and let them go...I don't see they would really fine them. Unless they catch them every day.

Where is this landfill pier anyways?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 AM

I marked out (RED LINE) what I figured the REGS meant regarding Sylvan... Can anyone confirm if this MAP is correct?

Cheers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NW 33-38-1-W5M.jpg (141.9 KB, 86 views)
Old 05-11-2010, 08:52 AM

that is what i was thinking two....i think your map is correct...this province and dividing up water body is a pain in the...you know....
Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 AM

I would like to know the reasoning behind these regs. June 30 is pretty late to protect the spawn. Walleye is catch and release anyway. Not to mention the fact that 100+ walleye per afternoon is common on that lake. I have not caught a lot of bruisers but hundreds in the 17" to 22" range.
I am not saying the regs are a mistake. I just would like to know the reasoning behind it. Anyone know?
There is some rip rap in that area that walleye use for spawning, but I avoid it anyway to stay away from all the boat traffic in the area.
Major lane for sail boats.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Ya it doesn't make sense. Walleye are done spawning WAY before that, even done likely before june 1.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken View Post
I marked out (RED LINE) what I figured the REGS meant regarding Sylvan... Can anyone confirm if this MAP is correct?

Cheers...
Thanks very much Floppy!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Ya it doesn't make sense. Walleye are done spawning WAY before that, even done likely before june 1.
It could be that the walleye really stack up in Marina Bay. I've been there even on the Canada Day long weekend and the bay is full of them, you can fish from shore and get 50 or more fish in a day. But late July it is almost completely cleared out, so it could simply be that the fish are too vulnerable in that area in the spring, even after spawning.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:12 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck$ View Post
What does everyone think about this change for 2010? To me it just means all the kids that like to go out after school and fish in an area where they will catch a few will no longer have that opportunity. The lake is 100% catch and release for walleye anyways so what's the big deal ???

Anyways here's how it reads..........

"Sylvan Lake & tributaries – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm;
Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 5; Burbot limit 3.
the portion of lake southwest of a line drawn from the northeastern
most tip of the landfill pier in Sylvan Lake Provincial Park located
at NW 33-38-1-W5M due northwest to the point on the shoreline
where the boundary between the town of Sylvan Lake and the
Summer Village of Norglenwold meet the lake located at
NE 32-38-1-W5M. Including all tributary streams.
April 1 to June 30 – CLOSED
"
Whats the big deal !!!!!!!!My parents live in marina bay and we can fish off the front lawn. Its due to the fishing ethics used there. We would be having supper and we would watch kids and adults alike catch, then step on to remove the hook and kick the walleye off the dock back into the water. Make me want to @#%$ puke. In the marina alone with the poor ethics and heavy fishing during warm weather over 200 walleye we picked up along the shore. that is only in a small area
Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish on View Post
Whats the big deal !!!!!!!!My parents live in marina bay and we can fish off the front lawn. Its due to the fishing ethics used there. We would be having supper and we would watch kids and adults alike catch, then step on to remove the hook and kick the walleye off the dock back into the water. Make me want to @#%$ puke. In the marina alone with the poor ethics and heavy fishing during warm weather over 200 walleye we picked up along the shore. that is only in a small area
There, you have hit the nail right on the head. This has nothing to do with spawning and everything to do with the fine folks of Marina Bay and thier unwillingness to share our resourses.

The big deal is now you can not fish off your parent's lawn even though you have done nothing wrong and it does not effect spawning. It also means the kids that have done nothing wrong can not enjoy the resources they are entitled to.

I have spent hours educating the kids on proper release and they are quick to learn. They truly don't know and do not want to intentionally harm the fish.

If more people offered them some time instead of whining there would be no problem. There would still be some losses but are we not creating a fishery for the kids and the future?

Without the fishing I wonder what those kids will be doing to entertain themselves???? We all have problems with kids doing harm to property, others and themselves, but as long as they are not fishing by my house

If we all wanted to do the world a favour we would encourage more kids to go hunting and fishing instead of frustrating them with BS restrictions.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish on View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
There, you have hit the nail right on the head. This has nothing to do with spawning and everything to do with the fine folks of Marina Bay and thier unwillingness to share our resourses.

The big deal is now you can not fish off your parent's lawn even though you have done nothing wrong and it does not effect spawning. It also means the kids that have done nothing wrong can not enjoy the resources they are entitled to.

I have spent hours educating the kids on proper release and they are quick to learn. They truly don't know and do not want to intentionally harm the fish.

If more people offered them some time instead of whining there would be no problem. There would still be some losses but are we not creating a fishery for the kids and the future?

Without the fishing I wonder what those kids will be doing to entertain themselves???? We all have problems with kids doing harm to property, others and themselves, but as long as they are not fishing by my house

If we all wanted to do the world a favour we would encourage more kids to go hunting and fishing instead of frustrating them with BS restrictions.

Nicely Explained from 'Both' of you...

It's a real shame this happens. I'm from Calgary and like to fish Sylvan but I too have come across quite a number of DEAD fish 'just' in the Marina and have actually helped 'SCOOP' some of them up for the owner. I think education is the key, but it's hard to have F&W there to show people how to properly release fish and to be honest that's not what TAX payer's money should be going to anyway... I'd much rather see them catch the IDIOTS instead.

Honestly, I think there should almost be some kind of 'Non-Profit Organization' with a Volunteer Base that could go around and show people 'EXACTLY HOW' a fish should be handled and released. I think something like that would have certainly helped in 'this situation' and could have avoided this closure and future ones for that matter!!

Imagine having an I.D. card that says you're with F&W and you could drive around and teach people proper release and handling techniques with the Province paying for the GAS. I think you'd see a LOT of people volunteering...

Just my .02

Cheers,

/J...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Well I hope these new regs are enforced. I would hate for this to become a private fish pond.
There are lots of other places on the lake to catch and release Walleye and if people are abusing fish then by all means close it and leave it closed, but it would be nice to see this type of thing resolved with other solutions.

I feel a lack of enforcement is a major problem throughout Alberta. I fish a large portion of Alberta every year. The only two places I have been approached by conservation officers in the past 25yrs is Wabamun and Newell. Once at each. Never at Sylvan.....and I live there.
Anyway I could go on and on.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Floppy, your entire post is too long to quote, but thank you because you have great posts and think forward on solutions instead of focussing on the argument or other peoples opinion. Awesome! As for your idea, I think that's excellent. Maybe you should send your idea to the powers that be, and maybe put change into motion. I'm all for it, so let me know if you want me to help in any way.