Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2017, 07:11 PM

Default Boler trailer

Looking for a winter project, anyone know an of Boler camper trailer for sale or sitting in the back weeds somewhere?
Think it might be a fun project to do over the cold winter months.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Looking for a winter project, anyone know an of Boler camper trailer for sale or sitting in the back weeds somewhere?
Think it might be a fun project to do over the cold winter months.
this guy in Calgary's selling one:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...ationFlag=true
I'm guessing he might have contacts on Bolers he passed up.

But having designed & built (and now sold) my own cold-weather trailer, I think the only little advantage of the Boler was the molded factory fiberglas weather envelope shell - assuming the material is still structurally sound and properly caulked. It's obviously cramped, has a relatively narrow wheelbase, and all would need extensive work.

If I made one again, I'd have a tandem torsion axle, filon over 1/4" fir exterior, 2 5/16 ball receiver hitch at a frame height the same as the height of my truck frame (or maybe a gooseneck trailer & coupler depending how bad I needed the bed), wood furnace with exterior air feed and ash removal and water heater, sheet steel roof, aluminum frame, and factory 'toy hauler' ramp in the back wall for versatility.

Depending on the market and frame, I might chop up an old Airstream, or build up something on a new g/n platform, or mod a new enclosed tandem trailer; hard to say right now.

Obviously the Boler is a cult item, and tastes are an individual thing whether in trailers, motorcycles, airplanes, whiskey or boats. Anyway, good luck.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:13 PM

Those things are actually quite pricey when they are refurbished, and there is nothing to them.

We were in BC last week and saw tons of them.

The guy that invented them first made septic tanks then he decided to put an axle underneath and viola the boler was born.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:47 AM

I want that Outback in Calgary. I've been looking for a Boler for years. The wife won't go camping unless we have a crapper.
Used Bolers in decent condition with a bathroom are rare and when they do come up for sale people want a fortune for them
Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 AM

My Sister & BIL have one and they have a cute little name for it. They belong to the Boler Club as well.

If your into trendy I guess a Boler is ok, But they are cramped, an oven in the hot days and for what people are asking for them, even a non refinished trailer is ridiculous.

They are kinda like tenting, you do everything outside

I would take a modern comfortable unit with air, toilet, and shower any day.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:35 AM

The Bolers and Bigfoots have almost a cult following driving the prices up although you can still find a 13' foot for $4-5 K the 17' goes for $6k up. Finding someone that has one and doesn't know its value would be hard these days.
Around 75 "eggs" gather for good time weekend in Macklin SK. each year for Bolerama some are painted to match the tow vehicle others feature flashing lights and some fancy interiors.
I restored a 17' for camping/hunting it was perfect for two people for a week or so. Some things to check when buying a Boler: the front step is attached the frame causing it to twist eventually causing failure, the popcorn insulation finish on the interior is hard to repair and be sure to check the door hinges.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-08-2017, 01:24 PM

1973 venture just saw in Wal-Mart parking lot
306 450 0971

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-08-2017, 01:37 PM

I have pics of it if you want pm me your cell#

I wouldn't pay $5400 but I guess they sell

This isn't a round boler it's a square ventura

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-08-2017, 01:53 PM

My dad had one. I borrowed it a few times.

You could literrally unhook it from your truck and walk it into your camping spot.

On the down side when I crawled into the bed it would stand up on the back window. Had no jacks so would jam logs under the rear end to prevent the "Boler wheelie"

Looper
Old 08-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Default Boler

I know where there is an old Boler...needs lots of work but prob very cheap...will talk to the owner in next couple days
Old 08-08-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
My dad had one. I borrowed it a few times.

You could literrally unhook it from your truck and walk it into your camping spot.

On the down side when I crawled into the bed it would stand up on the back window. Had no jacks so would jam logs under the rear end to prevent the "Boler wheelie"

Looper
Always wondered about accumulated humidity in those egg shells ?

Grizz
Old 08-08-2017, 05:16 PM

My friend has one, done some nice things with it on the inside. Its a one person trailer and that person needs to be a short one (of which, my friend is both)
Old 08-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000victory View Post
I know where there is an old Boler...needs lots of work but prob very cheap...will talk to the owner in next couple days
Sent you a PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:31 PM

I picked up an old Boler last Fall she is getting ready for paint, but I'm looking for another one if anyone knows of one.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Those things are actually quite pricey when they are refurbished, and there is nothing to them.

We were in BC last week and saw tons of them.

The guy that invented them first made septic tanks then he decided to put an axle underneath and viola the boler was born.
Always thought it must be like camping in a fiberglass septic tank. Absolutely water and vapor tight. My God, I repeated myself on an ancient thread.

Grizz
Old 03-24-2018, 06:11 PM

Wink

Quote:
I picked up an old Boler last Fall she is getting ready for paint, but I'm looking for another one if anyone knows of one.
lol found out what they go for huh?

Isn't it crazy???

Old 03-24-2018, 06:56 PM

Once you start researching boat building, all sorts of intriguing possibilities pop up.

If you're really into pricey fiberglass trailers, you can get a current one from a B.C./Chilliwack manufacturer. An actual 5th-wheel too, with 3900# weight. For a cool 40 grand $. http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-5-0-escape/

From factory videos though, it looks like like a straight shell construction - no balsa or foam core laminated composite. So either relatively flimsy due to a single thin shell like all the other fiberglass clamshells, or ungodly heavy like early f/b boats due to a thick layered buildup of fiberglass. Obviously the former.

For 40 thousand dollars though, I could probably make a really nice custom aluminum-framed 20-foot tandem toyhauler with composite shell. For an additional 10 grand, probably a 24-foot tandem gooseneck with comp shell, well within GVCW of my present truck.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
lol found out what they go for huh?

Isn't it crazy???

Seen some go for $10.000 when they are all done up.

Did pick one up last fall, (thanks to AO member that found it) for a excellent price, had to spend some money but once it is all done it will be worth it .

We are taking it to Winnipeg for the 50 year boler get together , they are expecting 1000 bolers all in one spot and Winnipeg is where it all started.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Does it have to be a Boler? You could look for a Scamp or a Casita. Pretty similar and have the same following.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Does it have to be a Boler? You could look for a Scamp or a Casita. Pretty similar and have the same following.
No, any old fiberglass camper like Trillium, Surfside, or alike.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:36 AM

If you go to a meet make sure to stop by and grab a shirt or sticker from the Boler Bitches. Yes, they are real and sell a pile of swag.

www.bolerbitches.com
Old 03-25-2018, 07:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Spent a few bow seasons sleeping in one, better than a tent, easy to get where we needed to get it wish I would have bought it off buddy before his divorce...

Now I sleep under a tarp.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-25-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
If you go to a meet make sure to stop by and grab a shirt or sticker from the Boler Bitches. Yes, they are real and sell a pile of swag.

www.bolerbitches.com
We are members of that group already, also members of every Boler facebook group, it becomes really addictive, and a lot of fun even pintrest has a lot of ideas.

here are 2 pictures the one we found her in the weeds, the other under restoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1902.jpg (45.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1702.jpg (47.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 03-25-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Now I sleep under a tarp.
Wait...I thought it was your buddy that got a divorce, not you ?!
Old 03-26-2018, 11:17 AM

slept in one while working on fisheries job. Got hit one night with massive wind shears racing down the valley. Happy I wasn't in a tent.

Another time thought a bear was attacking...turned out to be a moose rubbing.

When to pick it up at the yard another time only to find a hobo had been living in it. Needed serve pro to clean and disinfect it. **** everywhere. Disgusting.

Still...nice solid feeling unit.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-26-2018, 01:45 PM

My parents had 1 when I was a kid. I could not stand up in it, or sleep in it, too short in every direction. You have no idea how much I hated that stupid thing. The only good part was they pulled it with a suburban, so the entire back was mine to sleep in. I wouldn't take a boler for free.