Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

Default ISLE LAKE

Well,

Maybe I am icetarded...but I hear this lake is good for perch.

Been there 4 times now...twice two pike not even a perch bitting. Last two times caught 5-6 minnow sized perch.

Anyone fish this lake, if you wouldn't mind lettign me know where I might get some better luck. It's so much closer than alot of lakes, I'd like to have a good day there.

The snow was deep today for anyone heading out...I got stuck twice, rocked it out...but some real deep spots.

good luck

Ryan
Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 PM
zenstalker

what I know about the perch in this lake.... there are big ones (2 lbs) and lots of little ones. I find that if you fish just off the island(where the big weekend ice party is) it is pretty hit and miss as far as large perch, unless you understand there habits. If the weather has been consistent for a few days straight (consistently cold or mild doesn't matter just consistent) then the bigger perch school shallower (about 10 ft.) on the weed and mud flats off prominent structure (islands, points etc). When a low pressure system moves in or a sudden change in weather occurs they tend to school deeper in the deep basins adjacent structure, they are almost always on bottom. If they are suspended it is usually at the thermocline usually around 17-20 ft. feeding on baitfish this is where fishing perch with minnows work pretty well, if i am fishing the bottom (which is most of the time) it is always glow jigs and maggots or artificial baits.

The reason that one island is such a hot spot is it has everything in close proximity, it has deep holes to 25 ft. close by, and it has an expansive mud flat that harbours millions of tiny shrimp and worms all on prominent structure(the island) another good spot is the 10 ft. sunken island in the middle of the main basin.

download a map of lake isle and check out some of the fishy areas, there are always good and bad days but i hope this helps.

www.anglersatlas.com free to sign up

DR
Old 02-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Drewski Canuck

Default Isle Lake

Excellent advise Zenstalker!

Perhaps it is wise to also mention that the bigger the hook, the fewer little perch.

Drewski
Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

Default Re: Isle Lake

thanks for the detailed info.

I'll have to try one spot from the map i checked out today

Good luck!!

Ryan
Old 02-16-2007, 11:10 PM
zenstalker

A big hook always helps start small and work up is a good rule. pack it with that juicy bait. good luck

DR
Old 02-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

Isle Lake & tributaries & outlet (Sturgeon River)
May 19 to Mar. 31 - Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
Apr. 1 to May 18 - CLOSED

The angler's atlas map says nothing about whitefish..are there whites in this lake?

how is the driving there, was there on thursday could not get to the deep spots I wanted to try, I am heading there on tuesday morn, any word on the driving on the lake would be appreciated.

good luck!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 AM
zenstalker

got stuck in the middle on sat. in our new 4x4 jeep wrangler, pretty slushy in spots. if you have a 4x4 you should be fine sticking to the beaten paths.
good luck, i got another limit of jumbos on sat. good eatin

DR
Old 02-23-2007, 04:04 PM
zenstalker

Has your luck been any better? I will be out there on sunday(feb25th), i will have a 650 kawasaki quad and a black one man tent, look for me if you want.

DR
Old 02-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Ryanlookingforperch

sounds good, I'll probably be heading out early (I like to spend a whole day on the lake...when i can).

If I can find ya, I'll stop by. Bring you a coffee..I always brew the timmies on the lake.

Good luck sunday!!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:32 PM
zenstalker

sounds good i'm leaving for the cabin now i will be out sunday morning bright and early I will start the day by the main island.

DR
Old 02-24-2007, 05:41 PM
smurph22

We have a cabin on Lake Isle and still haven't found the 'big ones' :lol
Old 02-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

got out there today. With the girlfriend, Quickflip and the heater on crispy (she is always cold).

THE PIKE WOULDN'T LEAVE US ALONE...but I didn't get many hooked. I went through 2/3 or a freakin bag of anchovies. I would hear the tip up bells head out, just miss them or pull and they'd be gone. Lots of pike action all day, the three we caught were not keepers, but A FUN DAY ALL THE SAME.

Anyone have anythign else they use to tip up other than the usualy pickeral rig on a tip up? How do you guys bait your anchovies, larger bait fish? I think this might have been my problem.

I am most likely not going to be out on SUN, but monday instead.

Good luck Zen, sure sometime we'll run into each other, I'd like to hit this lake a lil more, nice people on the lake, the few we talked too...we were deep, away from the island. all day, pretty much by ourselves.

Monday is the day for moving around, when comfort...isn't a concearn...lol (ah, at least she comes now and then..that is forsure). Girlfriend caught her first pike today..
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

Was out today (monday) the pike action did not stop from 10am-4pm, had a pike on about every 30 mins or so, until 2 then at least every 45 mins or so.

2 keepers...still

PERCH 4 Ryan 0

was a great day out there today though.

Good luck