Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2014, 01:40 PM

Default Backcountry or Random Camping around Calgary

I'm wanting to get out and do some hammock camping around Calgary (within about an hour and a half). I don't want to be in a camp ground and I would like to be away from other people, however I also would like to be fairly close to my car.

Does anyone know of any good forestry roads or something like that where I could do this? Being near a creek or river would be great too.

I have no interest in leaving a mess. I'll be leaving no trace when I leave.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:49 PM

We backpack with our hennessy hammocks as well.

Research Wildland Provincial Parks.

This will give you plenty of options.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:52 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Search out some of the past threads on random camping near calgary. there are lots of suggestions in the threads.

I am not close to calgary to know up to date info but can offer this suggestion.
This website has all the trails in the area, and all of north america. Each trail may have info you would want to know.

http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?c...ist&val=custom

Enjoy. Make sure your hammock has a bug screen. Always be bear smart, especially along watercourses. A main travel route for animals.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
We backpack with our hennessy hammocks as well.

Research Wildland Provincial Parks.

This will give you plenty of options.
Thanks. I'll do that.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Welcome to the forums.

Search out some of the past threads on random camping near calgary. there are lots of suggestions in the threads.

I am not close to calgary to know up to date info but can offer this suggestion.
This website has all the trails in the area, and all of north america. Each trail may have info you would want to know.

http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?c...ist&val=custom

Enjoy. Make sure your hammock has a bug screen. Always be bear smart, especially along watercourses. A main travel route for animals.
I've tried searching, and this topic does come up a lot, but most of the answers are really vague to me. A lot of them point to the SRD website or some other site.

What I'm wondering is where do the people of this forum go when they're random camping around Calgary? I understand lots of people don't want to share their camping spots so they don't become over crowded, but I guess I'm hoping someone will show mercy in this regard.

Thanks for the trailpeak link though. I've never seen that before and I'm sure I can make use of that.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 PM

Rule of thumb? Head up and down the forestry trunk road. It goes from crowsnest pass up to Grand Prairie. In general most of the land along this road is crown land and allows random camping. Just check your land use maps for the area you want to explore.

Limestone mountain is an area you might enjoy west of Sundre.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Gone Fishing

This link might help you out as well. Scroll down on the right side for hiking trails and the interactive map.

http://www.albertawow.com/index.htm
Old 05-30-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Rule of thumb? Head up and down the forestry trunk road. It goes from crowsnest pass up to Grand Prairie. In general most of the land along this road is crown land and allows random camping. Just check your land use maps for the area you want to explore.

Thanks again. That's a great tip.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
This link might help you out as well. Scroll down on the right side for hiking trails and the interactive map.

http://www.albertawow.com/index.htm
Thanks for that.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:

So I researched Forestry Trunk road and took a drive down there yesterday. On google earth, I found this spot which looks like the barbed wire fence ends, but when I walked down the hill a bit, it just dog legs. I did cross the fence and took a walk down to the river, but I don't know if that's someone's property or not. It technically is crown land according to a map I found, so I'm not sure how that could be someone's property, but I'm also not sure of the rules/etiquette of crossing a fence and camping.

Then I drove down a little further and found this area which has parts cleared away for camp grounds (I believe unsanctioned), but I'm not sure if that's going to fill up on the weekend. I did see some cars parked in there (which were possibly abandoned) and some trucks with quads clearing out of there.

I also found the Ghost Public Land Use Zone which looked interesting too.

Hopefully this helps people out in the future.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 AM

Most of the places where random camping is allowed that is close to Calgary are going to be very busy on the weekends, so if you can make it out during the work week, you might find it a little more peaceful.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calskin View Post
So I researched Forestry Trunk road and took a drive down there yesterday. On google earth, I found this spot which looks like the barbed wire fence ends, but when I walked down the hill a bit, it just dog legs. I did cross the fence and took a walk down to the river, but I don't know if that's someone's property or not. It technically is crown land according to a map I found, so I'm not sure how that could be someone's property, but I'm also not sure of the rules/etiquette of crossing a fence and camping.

Then I drove down a little further and found this area which has parts cleared away for camp grounds (I believe unsanctioned), but I'm not sure if that's going to fill up on the weekend. I did see some cars parked in there (which were possibly abandoned) and some trucks with quads clearing out of there.

I also found the Ghost Public Land Use Zone which looked interesting too.

Hopefully this helps people out in the future.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
The first link is on private land. The second link is the start of some random camping areas, but VERY busy.

You're on the right track, just go deeper.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
The first link is on private land. The second link is the start of some random camping areas, but VERY busy.

You're on the right track, just go deeper.
Thanks. Should I avoid the ghost rec area altogether then?
Old 07-05-2014, 08:09 PM

Default Hennesey hammocking

I've been to McLean creek. Noisy quads but easy access
I've been told that ghost is a great area and powderface trail (road closed though)

Generally we are allowed to random camp 1km from any road in kananaskis I'm told

Still get weird looks when people see the hammocks set up
Best sleep ever.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Thumbs up backcountry

I found that at the end of ab546 (west of turner valley) is BlueRock Wildland Provincial Park, and its Random Backcountry.
Same with Don Ghetty, at the end of ab66 west of bragg creek.(been there, very nice)

most Backcountry campgrounds are closed from flood damage (tombstone is open) but it's my understanding that you can camp anywhere in Wildland provincial parks. Which is better anyway for hammocks, right?
Old 07-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Banned

If you are looking to walk in a little ways and want seclusion, your best bet is to look for Wildland Parks or PLUZs that show which areas are non-motorized only.

Go to a government office and pick up hard copies of all their maps.

Tags
calgary, calgary area, camping, hammock