Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2007, 08:00 PM
lethalconnection

Default Gettin Anxious for the thaw!

Well boys i am enjoying the ice fishing and all and dont get me wrong i dont want the ice to thaw but another part of me really wants it too go so i can get that spinner or fly wet again in my favorite stream and lookin at these pics just makes me that much more impatient. Anyone else out there feelin the same way, if so show some pics of your favortie spring/summer fishing holes.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:54 PM
RockyMountainMusic

nice pics, makes me want to start messing with the summer tackle!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 AM
jrs

Nice pics !!! I found a few. I can't find all my awesome little fly fishing stream pics. What gives. My buddy took the two photos of me, one wading, one in my bellyboat different mornings. The others just a little pike spot. If i find more i had some awesome rainbow photos from the Crowsnest River.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:41 PM
jrs

I found one from last summer. Average Crowsnest Rainbow when your fishing rapalas (needed supper and i was allowed one )

Old 02-25-2007, 10:57 PM
bigbore

ill agree that something could kick winter the heck out of here and bring on open water. and bring Hunting season back 2 months later
Old 02-25-2007, 11:01 PM
lethalconnection

Quote:
ill agree that something could kick winter the heck out of here and bring on open water. and bring Hunting season back 2 months later
I think that would be alot of our dreams comeing true if that were to happen

By the way awesome pics guys
Old 02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
jrs

Default This time...

This time of year ain't too bad. Must admit i still prefer flyfishing over icefishing but i can still go for a couple more trips onto the frozen lakes. I can't wait for spring bear to get here, i'm really thinking this is the year to try spot and stalk with my bow. Lots of creeks to fish come end of spring bear also though (June 15th). Found a few new (to me) spots out by Hinton/Edson and they sure provided me with some fun last summer. Can't wait, i want to catch myself a big grayling come summer as well.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:26 PM
wildman

Default Re: This time...

you are all NUTS!!!!!
the BEST 8 wks of fishing of the season are about to start.
you must all slap yourselves for dissin' the spring ice!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
dodger

Default Re: This time...

So your saying that my sitting in the boat in the garage and going vroom vroom my be a little weird?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Open Water

Default Open Water

I'm definitly ready for open water as well. I usually do a fly trip to the Red Deer in Feb, but never made it this year. Already planned a few trips for this year,hoping the ice will be off soon enough for an Easter weekend trip to Newell, to South Buck in May, onto Moose and Pinehurst in June and the trip I'm really waiting for to Cold Lake in July for lakers. I believe I was on Star Lake on April 2nd last year but if the weather doesn't warm up soon that's probably going to be moved back a week or so, but the river at least should be open by then. Back to tying rigs, got some new bead and blades this year and can't wait to try them out.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:49 PM
jrs

Default Re: Open Water

I've been tying about 20 flies a day, but i'm not in flyfishing withdrawl.......:lol
Old 02-27-2007, 01:11 AM
lethalconnection

Yah i got the vest already all re-organized, buying some new spinners and other lures, cant wait to get back into those waders(by the way they work awesome dodger thanks again).
Old 02-27-2007, 08:12 AM
ULTRAlite

Here's one of my fav's from last summer - Still happy with hardwater though...

Old 02-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Adam

Wow Ultralite...Great looking lake. Can I ask where that is?

I asume by your name you're a fan of ultra light fishing. I picked up an ultra light rod over the winter and can't wait to try it out. I'm trying to figure out a good assortment of small spinner/spoons to add to my tackle for this set up. Any tips?

See ya
Adam
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

With no boat, and living in EDMONTON.....

the ice can stay all year...for me!!!

Everytime i hit a local lake to shore fish....I can not..too weedy.

ICE ICE ICE!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 PM
jrs

Default North Sask

Have you fished the river there in summer? I knows theres lots of fish along the rip-rap downtown Edmonton.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

Default Re: North Sask

oh yes the NSR has great fishing in it, I like a spot near devon (I am on the west end). I fish it alot, some big fish in that river.

But when I am wanting something to EAT...the NSR is not on my list.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:03 AM
bigbore

Default Re: North Sask

sounds like you got to start headed out around edson/hinton with a flyrod
Old 02-28-2007, 12:28 PM
walleyes

Default Re: waiting for the thaw

Ahh yes double header on the lakers out on Cold Lake,, can't wait...
Old 02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
jrs

"sounds like you got to start headed out around edson/hinton with a flyrod"

Do you flyfish bigbore? I had a few fun evenings on the Embarass this summer as well as a few small tribs. I bought a little 4 weight intended for grayling next summer. I like how much water is in the region and how heavy angling pressure means 1 or two other guys along a 3-4 km stretch of incredable river. I managed around 20-30 beauty bows the one day but what got me excited was the 14''-17'' inch graylings the other guys managed to catch. We just had our backup spin gear along but i really want to hit the area with a flyrod. I sure wish fishing was allowed on Luscar Creek, that looked like it had serious potential. Some really nice areas for exploring. Wish i had pics from my evening on the Embarass, grayling are sure amazing fish. I still need to catch my own however, the other guys caught way less rainbows but i would have traded them all for that 17'' purple beauty.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:45 AM
bigbore

i do a little flyfishing, yes.

Embarras is an awesome place. This spring im looking forward to the headwaters of NSR, and come fall to do more FF'ing around fox creek
Old 03-01-2007, 05:48 PM
jrs

Default Good things!

I've heard some rumors of great flyfishing in the NSR but haven't had enough time to try it myself. I talked to a few oldtimers by Robb this summer and they told me fishings better than ever in that area due to the zero trout limit (everyone quit was there theory). Every little stream has trout, its incredable. I saw a few streams along the Erith River with less than an inch of water and about a foot wide that still had trout. Very neat. I have never seen an angler on the Erith, there are some very pretty stretches of untouched water. I'm really looking forward to summer up there.