Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Bruce

Default Nanaimo/Victoria salmon outfitters

Hey guys/gals, I'm taking the family to Vancouver Island in May and would love to tie into some big fat salmon for a day. Does anyone have any people/outfitters they would recommend? If you've had good experiences (or bad) please feel free to pass these on.
I'd like to take my wife and 2.5 yr old out on the boat, does that seem unreasonable from the babe's perspective? In other words, can this be a relatively kid-friendly outing?
Your thoughts are appreciated
Bruce
Old 02-28-2007, 01:16 PM
walleyes

Hey bruce,,, May is not the best time of the year for salmon but there can be a few to be had,,, you're best bet would be to stick around the south end of the island from Victoria to Sooke,,, Sooke being the better of the 2 but most guides will run from Vic to Sooke anyways if that's where the fish are... Depending on when you are planning on being there the end of May will be better.. The early part of the month will probably be better for Halibut especially out from Vic...
As far as guides go,, google Sooke/Victoria salmon guides and make a few calls they are pretty good and honest people they will tell you what to expect that time of year as far as fishing...
If you don't make any headway in a couple days pm me and I will put you on to some better info...
I fish Sooke a couple times a year and we usually make our first run there around the first or second week of June that is generally the start of any significant runs....
Old 02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Jamie Hunt

Bruce I think if you went with a larger boat that had a cabin on it you should be ok. Not sure if the little one could handel a whole day out on the water. I know my kids couldnt have handeled it. Pm me if you want some more suggestions that will keep the wife and baby happy (while you go fishing)
Seems a little early for me, but perhaps there are people on this board with more info about that area.

Jamie