Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2014, 02:08 AM

Smile Drayton to Devon via river

Launched solo last Sunday. from Willy campground in a inflatable canoe. First night, made it just east of bridge for hwy 759,camped on a beach. Decision for that beach, I had promised my other half, that I would avoid anything that looked rough on the water. I know that the river is pretty tame for this area but all the same, I was eddying out of the current on every bend and a unexpected wave train caught me floating sideways. My boat is ultra stable, but I still decided time for terra firma. Stayed at the east end of Burtonsville Island for 2 nights. That was awesome! I was sitting on a log and 2 mulies came out of the bush and just walked right up to my tent before they figured out what I was and beat it! Bouncing away! The next morning, I watched a moose come down to the river on the southside, walk up the shore and then decide he liked my side and went for a swim over to visit! The current took him about 100 yards down by the time he got to my shore. All this while I am having my first cup of joe! Interesting how cell phones wont work in this area during the day, but come later in the evening you can get 1 or 2 bars of signal strengh. My other half, told me that Wednesday was supposed to have a big storm, so I told her I would be on the water by 8am and only travel for a few hours and then I would hole up for the storm. So, not staying current with my map and compass, I float by a couple guys swimming on their break from their job at a gravel pit and I ask them how far to hwy 770 (Genesse) their response is its right around the bend. My 2nd mistake of the trip! I decide since I am so close to Genesse, to stop and hole up right across from this gravel pit. I set up on another beach, expecting a good light show and heavy rain. I phone the wife, and tell her that I have made excellent time and since I am so close to Genesse that I will have her pick me up at Devon tomorrow. Well, the storm turned out to be 3 lightening strikes and a little overnight rain! Next morning, on the water at 8:30am, the Genesse bridge turns out to be 4 hours float down the river I had already committed to the wife that I would be back that night and my canoe being an inflatable is not quick at all, so I soldiered on did not get off the water until 7:30pm that evening. It is amazing, if your boat is very stable how many positions you can get into to relief sore butt, if you know what I mean! Oh! by the way, floating between Genesse and Devon, there is house on one side and a big target set up on the other side of the river. When I realized what that was, I was no longer lounging in my canoe but putting as many strokes as I could to get out of that area pronto! Got off the water at 7:30pm, wife picked me up, young man tinkering with his jetski, must of thought I was drunk because when I went to get out of my little canoe that you sit cross legged in normally, I almost fell over. Took me all night to get my land legs back. Today, washed out all the sand and grit for everything and started thinking about what other adventures to get into! Just thought I would share my little tale with everyone. Also, this is my first post and hopefully not my last!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:39 AM

Good trip, what's next?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:48 AM

Great first post!!! did u try fishing?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Nice trip review might have to try that trip
Old 07-12-2014, 01:06 PM

Welcome to the forums Dakota Miles.

The reason you got a better cell phone signal at night probably has to do with certain satellite positions and being in a deep valley.

Sounds like you had a memorable trip. Lucky it didn't storm too much. The river can change pretty quick if there is a storm.

I have done the same trip a few times and it is a fairly safe trip with no real whitewater but a person has to be alert at all times. If something happens it can feel pretty remote...and the river is ready to swallow the unwary in a moment.

It is nice to canoe for a week and spend time taking a good look. There are a few areas that have lots of fossils from dinosaurs to buffalo. Prospecting and fishing is good the whole way too.

See you in the forums. Pictures next time eh.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 PM

It was a great trip! Funny how peace and quiet can be so reinvigorating. I did bring a convertible rod for spin and fly but on the trip realized I have lost my 2014 licence. So not knowing if that was a big deal or not, I decided not to fish. My original trip plan called for me not to get home until Saturday, which would have gave me 2 days for fishing. Oh well, my honey wants to go fishing on Sunday, by that, she means, I will fish and she will suntan and read a book! Next adventure, I am thinking Red Deer to the Badlands, maybe. That would be next summer. But the stretch between 759 and 770 since very nice and easily floated in 1 to 2 days, so I will fish that area this summer for sure!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:24 PM

What is the fastest way to upload pictures in here and I will put some up.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaMiles View Post
What is the fastest way to upload pictures in here and I will put some up.
At the top of the general forum is a thread that explains how to post pics the easiest.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-12-2014, 01:54 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1405194442

Beautiful Day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3402.jpg (28.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 PM

That's a great trip, done that one many times. The last trip down that stretch, I shared the canoe with my lovely bride, her first ever overnight canoe trip
Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaMiles View Post
And some people actually think they have to go to BC or out of country to see beautiful countryside and a beautiful day.

Tags
camping, canoe, north saskatchewan river, river