Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2014, 12:44 PM

Default Hey Folks! Any advice on brands of trailers to buy or Run away from?

I need a bumper pull trailer with a ushaped dinette, and at Least 3 bunks in the back. I also am very keen to find one with the extra outside door that goes directly to the bathroom.
I have a 2012 Dodge dually diesel 4X to pull it, so I'm good on the weight issues. I have been looking at a few trailers, and getting very discouraged...a lot of them seem like junk. I miss the old days of Canadian made Prowlers and Okanagans !!
So far I have eliminated Cougars (cushions and table felt like it was built for little kids, and we're tall), Heartland freedom (felt like junk) and I Like a 2015 BHS Prowler, but the one slide doesn't work properly, and they tried to lie their way out of it...then they finally admitted it, and said it could be fixed After we did the deal, and it didn't give me a real warm feeling, ya know?? Any thoughts, ideas or opinions would be Greatly Appreciated!! We have camped all our life, and this trailer is because we now have grandchildren that don't fit in the camper

Last edited by Seenitall Onhorseback; 08-22-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2014, 12:52 PM

Default PS: Cold weather

We'd also like one that can handle to the cold (at least to an extent). We are familiar with winterizing etc...but I found an old thread on the net (of this forum) that addressed some of that. However, when I signed in, I couldn't find it again. I'm about clueless when it comes to computer things, but I am a very good shot, so there you go.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:58 PM

I know a guy tha picked up a trailer from Parkview RV in Wetaskiwin that said they were a lot better built than any other trailers they looked at, and they had 4 season ones as well. http://www.parkview-rv.com/
Old 08-22-2014, 04:26 PM

Stay away from gulfstream I have one and I have been disappointed since I bought it , it was a fifth wheel, I had siding redone due to hail, last yr an the piece the hooks up to the truck. (The overhang was fishplated on both sides where the 2x 6is were coulda used a 10 foot 2x6 but fish plated two 5 footers together....rv guy said it was ready to separate, stay away from Amish of Hutterite built trailers as buddy was at factory in states and can't believe how shotty the work is 8 trailers a day no qc.....research what u buy....
Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Gone Fishing

I have a 2013 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring, got it from ArrKann. Not a 4 season but works great for us in 3 seasons
Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 PM

Only bad thing you will hear about an arctic fox is they are heavy. To me that is well built quality though.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
I know a guy tha picked up a trailer from Parkview RV in Wetaskiwin that said they were a lot better built than any other trailers they looked at, and they had 4 season ones as well. http://www.parkview-rv.com/
Good to know!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 PM

Good to know, Thanks!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 PM

I'm glad you weighed in, I was wondering about Gulfstream, it seemed like the kind of brand a person could go with, but maybe that was back in the 80's in their heyday (Mine too, sniff, tear, blow nose)
I'm really glad this forum is here...I nearly fell for the "Outdoor Kitchen" cause I thought "Great, I'll have an extra fridge, won't need a cooler" then I found out the fridge only works if you are plugged in. Seriously? Reminds me of when I was loading up my gear one time, and a passer-by said "Where are you going" so I didn't feel like getting into it, so I said "Banff". She says "Where do you go to eat there?" haha
Old 08-22-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Only bad thing you will hear about an arctic fox is they are heavy. To me that is well built quality though.
Thanks. I'll take a look at Arctic Fox. I don't care if it's heavy, I can pull it. I just don't want it to shake apart, or to have problems with the slide. The slide is a whole new world to me. It was only a few years ago that I found out they make RV's with hot water that comes out of the tap.
Is there anything you can think of that I should watch out for in that brand? I'm only thinking of buying new because I am scared of the slide screwing up, so I'm wanting warranty.
By the way, the guys that tried to B.Sh+t me about the slide on the Prowler were at Go Rv in Nisku. Just sayin'. I gave them 2 days to have their tech look at it, and determine what it would take to Really Fix It. They basically came back with "Buy it first, then we will figure it out." I told them I wasn't really comfortable with their approach, and said it seemed to me that now they knew it was broke, they should just fix it regardless, or were they waiting for someone to buy it that didn't realize it was screwed? They said they thought I was overly suspicious. I agree, that could be so...but maybe the reason for that is that when the slide was screaming, and coming in crooked, they tried to tell me that the LIN OOOOO LEUM was crooked. Ohhhhhhh. Silly Me. Wow is my face red.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 PM

I've done a ton of research. Posted in lots of threads. When I get time I'll post some info here later.

Ps. I own a 2007 arctic fox 22h.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I've done a ton of research. Posted in lots of threads. When I get time I'll post some info here later.

Ps. I own a 2007 arctic fox 22h.
Excellent!! Thanks. I'm going to look at Arctic Fox online now. Anything I should watch for? a heads up would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seenitall Onhorseback View Post
Excellent!! Thanks. I'm going to look at Arctic Fox online now. Anything I should watch for? a heads up would be appreciated.
Once again, they are heavy. Mine is over 10000 lbs. Pricey too, but sometimes you do get what you pay for
Old 08-22-2014, 11:37 PM
Banned

Jayco is a decent brand
Old 08-23-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Once again, they are heavy. Mine is over 10000 lbs. Pricey too, but sometimes you do get what you pay for
Yup. Just looked at the price. Though I can see spending the $$ if a person would actually be really happy with it, and not freeze your croissants off. Amazing, but when I google Arctic Fox Dealer, I am only seeing one in Olds, and Trailer Town in Calgary.
I'm really stuck on the floorplan I mentioned, and especially if I am going to pay that kind of money, I want to get just exactly what I want, though that seldom happens, eh?
The weight is not an issue. I pull a Cimarron massive 4 horse with front and rear tack compartments, 4 big horses etc etc with a 10 (or 9.5?) foot Okanagan camper on the truck. That's on an 05 Dodge diesel C/C single wheel 4X, and the one for this trailer is the same thing in a 2012 (the last of the good engines IMO) with duals. I checked it out, I'm not overloaded, even by BC's standards
Great advice here, just what I was looking for!! At least here you get the straight goods.
If anyone has a really nice one with My Options, please let me know!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead7 View Post
Jayco is a decent brand
Thank-you.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:12 AM

Biggest thing I will say watch what u buy all brands have good and bad

I would stay away from the light weight units. Frames bend very easy

As well look at the unit if used the tire wear. I have personally seen and fixed many issues with trailers
Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM

Wetaskiwin has Artic Fox and I think 2 other brands of all season trailers. Was in there yesterday looking at them as I am about to build living quarters into a stock trailer and wanted to see how they did things.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:39 AM

Happy Camper RV in Edson is an Arctic Fox dealer as is Tee Pee Town RV in Camrose.

Have a look at the Northwoods Forum (they manufacture Arctic Fox)http://www.afnash.com/forum.php

The RV.Net Forum is also an excellent resource to ask questions or do a search for issues with certain brands. www.rv.net/forum/

I am looking at purchasing an Arctic Fox fifth wheel as I am sold on their quality!
Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Default Jayco..

x2 on Jayco. I have used a 27' Jayco Bunk model for the last 9 years. Had to fix a couple of minor wear and tear things along the way but i am totally impressed with it. We camp at least twice a year for 2 weeks and multiple shorter trips in it. 3 boys who are "Bulls in a China Shop" has been the test for mine. I would definitely buy Jayco again.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 AM

We love our Bullet Premier. 31bhpr model with kitchen table slide and bunk slide and outdoor kitchen with fridge . They have a newer model now in a 34 ft with 3 slides for a island kitchen and larger shower setup now near front but only 1 door for trailer over the 31 foot with 2
Old 08-23-2014, 10:48 AM

we have the 2011 Snow River 24RKS built by Northwood's (Artic Fox) we purchased it used a few years ago. When it was 2 years old we paid about 65% of "new" price. It is heavy, 6700 #'s on a scale, ready to go camping with no water in it.

It is supposed to be 4 seasons but it is not, the knife valves are exposed. BUT that said it has been good to us, very few El Cheapo things have fallen off, but there are lots of things they could have done better. As usual when we looked at the new models, lots of changes and useful upgrades but lots of $ difference.

So what the point of my post; Northwood's builds a decent product, but they are heavy and spendy. But I have not spent any time, effort, $ fixing anything in the two years we have owned it. That has not been my experience with other RV`s we have owned.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
Biggest thing I will say watch what u buy all brands have good and bad

I would stay away from the light weight units. Frames bend very easy

As well look at the unit if used the tire wear. I have personally seen and fixed many issues with trailers
I agree for the most part, though once I take the time to look at a brand (new at a lot), if it seems like junk, I am basically finished. It's brand new, for Pete's Sake! I wouldn't be adverse to the Prowler, if the slide has worked (or if they had been honest about it right off the giddy-up). Now I am thinking Arctic Fox, if I can bring myself to spend the money, which will really be a stretch.
The hint about the tire wear is excellent! and about light weight...I already started asking "What's the heaviest bumper pull you have, show me that".
Old 08-23-2014, 11:17 AM

What kind of truck are you pulling it with?

Are u going in the mountains?

Ps I was a frame tech for years so I know a little hehe
Old 08-23-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
we have the 2011 Snow River 24RKS built by Northwood's (Artic Fox) we purchased it used a few years ago. When it was 2 years old we paid about 65% of "new" price. It is heavy, 6700 #'s on a scale, ready to go camping with no water in it.

It is supposed to be 4 seasons but it is not, the knife valves are exposed. BUT that said it has been good to us, very few El Cheapo things have fallen off, but there are lots of things they could have done better. As usual when we looked at the new models, lots of changes and useful upgrades but lots of $ difference.

So what the point of my post; Northwood's builds a decent product, but they are heavy and spendy. But I have not spent any time, effort, $ fixing anything in the two years we have owned it. That has not been my experience with other RV`s we have owned.
So do you guys think any of the Northwood Trailer as Basically as good as the other? I can live with less 'fancy stuff' as long as the trailer is solid and warm, and the scary (to me) slides don't seize up. We're going to check out what we can find at the Northwoods dealers today...It's encouraging that you paid 65% less! If I could come close to that, I think I would do it for sure!
While I am here, I will put in my vote for toughest old style trailer, Canadian made: Terry of Prowler. My father drug his smaller one (This is 20 yrs ago) through all the same places my brothers used 4x4's. Seriously. It was brutal, we thought he was nuts, but those trailers took a lickin' and kept on tickin' !
As far as campers: Okanagan Only. Just the best, especially the old ones. And by the way, some of the old ones from the old style truck box, will fit into the new style truck boxes, if someone is just looking for an old camper for hunting. Warm too!
Oh, buy the way, if those knife valves freeze, can you thaw them out with an outside heat source (hair blower) or do you have to thaw the whole unit?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Wetaskiwin has Artic Fox and I think 2 other brands of all season trailers. Was in there yesterday looking at them as I am about to build living quarters into a stock trailer and wanted to see how they did things.
Smart guy you
I had the same thing in mind.
Hard to convince the wife though
Old 08-23-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
What kind of truck are you pulling it with?

Are u going in the mountains?

Ps I was a frame tech for years so I know a little hehe
2012 dodge 3500 crewcab 4X dually diesel, and yup to the mountains.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
Smart guy you
I had the same thing in mind.
Hard to convince the wife though
I saw a guy's outfit last year where he used a stock trailer, complete with a wood stove and a stove pipe. Neat, on the cheap! Good idea.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post
x2 on Jayco. I have used a 27' Jayco Bunk model for the last 9 years. Had to fix a couple of minor wear and tear things along the way but i am totally impressed with it. We camp at least twice a year for 2 weeks and multiple shorter trips in it. 3 boys who are "Bulls in a China Shop" has been the test for mine. I would definitely buy Jayco again.
Thanks. I'll sure take a look at them too. Do you have an opinion if the Jaycos are getting better or Worse with the newer models?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
We love our Bullet Premier. 31bhpr model with kitchen table slide and bunk slide and outdoor kitchen with fridge . They have a newer model now in a 34 ft with 3 slides for a island kitchen and larger shower setup now near front but only 1 door for trailer over the 31 foot with 2
Thanks!

Tags
advice, arctic fox, camping, reviews, trailers