Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 PM

Question Crawling Valley Reservoir Information

I currently live in Calgary and was looking for somewhere to go fishing "relatively" close to the city, so I took a drive east and did a loop to CVR down to McGregor and then back around to the city.

I think CVR is the place for me and upon looking more closely at the map for areas to access the lake that did not involve the Campground I saw this location at 50.897815, -112.369072.

Guess my first question is; does anyone know if that location is easily accessible by car?

After visiting the campground I checked out the website and noticed the "lottery" they hold there for the limited reserved camp sites. I was hoping to find someone here that actually took part in the lottery and could let me know how it is held, after reading the application it seemed like a pretty serious endeavour.

I searched the forums and reading previous posts about the lake from a few years ago, I understand that the wind can be an issue, probably since its in the prairies (especially since I would be at most using a canoe, or belly boat and it did not sound like it would be fun to be caught out there when the win picks up in a canoe) so I will probably fishing from shore or at least close to shore.

Also I have learned what makes the fishing there good is that there are a lot of rocks and very shallow areas (even in the middle) of the lake so fishing with a larger boat can be hazardous.

I would appreciate any information anyone would like to share.

IE:

Lake maps / depth charts
Easiest places to fish from shore
Experiences from previous fishing seasons
Best baits / Lures

Also if anyone is interested in joining me / or having someone (me) join them for a day / trek let me know that as well.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
I think CVR is the place for me and upon looking more closely at the map for areas to access the lake that did not involve the Campground I saw this location at 50.897815, -112.369072.

Guess my first question is; does anyone know if that location is easily accessible by car?
When I was at that location in mid march it was a little muddy, I didn't have to put my truck in 4wd to get through though. If you have decent tires and the can do attitude you'd be fine. Keep in mind that any sort of weather would make this Red Rock Road a little treacherous.

I believe there is also access somewhere on the east side of the lake but haven't found it yet (haven't really looked to hard)

I have only ever ice fished at CVR.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:55 PM

The lottery information is right on crawlingvalleycamground.com

This year 94 people applied for 73 spots. The draw is held in bassano.

The lake has its dangerous spots. If you fish it just don't go blasting down the sides of the lake. Get to know it. There's many props on the bottom.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:01 PM

Belly boat would be rather dangerous, people have died there pulling that stunt, canoe may be alright if you stay close to shore and get off of the wind picks up at all (can happen fast)
Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 AM

There is an excellent insight genesis social map for the lake if you run a Lowrance, if not the Alberta Environment Bathymetry map will help. While the lake certainly has its shallow spots (and yes they do show up in odd spots) for the most part if you stick to the centre of the lake at higher speeds and don't try slalom maneuvers through the islands you will be fine. Common sense will go a long way here. Check out google earth, a lot of the shallow spots are visible and you can waypoint to help yourself out.

I have experienced a few days when the wind was howling from the north or south (along the main lake axis) and the waves were substantial. Enough that I had to work my way back to the dock off plane (usually with lines out so no biggie) and my wife was not a happy camper. Like everywhere out east the winds come up fast or luckily die off fast as well.

That being said its a fun lake, lots of fish and usually not crazy busy.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'd respectfully disagree with this, there's very large sandbank that is in the lake about midway up it that is just under the surface. There's also some spots where there's only a narrow channel that are issues when the water level is low.

These underwater obstacles are typically very steep, so if you're going full bore, you won't have time to react to the changing depth.

Bottom line, this is one lake you should know where you're going, and if you don't and are just estimating, you're come out on the wrong side at some point.

If you have any sonar which has charting, use the gpx file I uploaded for safe transit points, otherwise keep it under 10kph until you've marked your own route. Many boats have been wrecked at CVR.

If you look at google earth on satellite image you can see most of the problem areas. Not all but some doozies. I hit one in my 14ft Lund. Didn't damage anything because it was sand but it was a bitch to get unseated.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'd respectfully disagree with this, there's very large sandbank that is in the lake about midway up it that is just under the surface. There's also some spots where there's only a narrow channel that are issues when the water level is low.

These underwater obstacles are typically very steep, so if you're going full bore, you won't have time to react to the changing depth.

Bottom line, this is one lake you should know where you're going, and if you don't and are just estimating, you're come out on the wrong side at some point.

If you have any sonar which has charting, use the gpx file I uploaded for safe transit points, otherwise keep it under 10kph until you've marked your own route. Many boats have been wrecked at CVR.
Jet, this sandbar you speak of is the one to the east of waypoint 82 on your track? That one was a surprise to me the first time I saw it. Let me re-phase, if you stay equidistant from the east and west shore running up the lake you will be OK, just as Jets's map shows. It's once you start drifting in toward shore that trouble shows up. Bottom line the lake has its fair share of shallow sections, that we can all agree on.

Option 2 follow another boat up the lake.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:57 PM

I love that lake but have paid my dues in terms of prop damage over the years and am pretty careful. I remember one August day when the lake was really clear and we were drifting in a bay on the west side throwing crank baits for pike seeing a small (maybe 6 hp) motor on the bottom. Its a great fishery but you need to pay attention.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:48 PM

Have to totally agree with go slow if not use to lake. Last August we were close to north end before it heads west and drifting west to east and casting. Seemed like the middle. Wind wasn't very strong and you could see the bottom at 8 to 10 ft. Was watching sonar go from 10 to 8 to 6 to 4 and looked out the front of boat and saw a HUGE size boulder about 6 inches below the water. 8 x 6 x 3 just under surface. Did not hit but can't imagine if i was not paying attention. Wish I had some kind of bouy to put there. Thank you electronics and clear water. Found another straight across from lighthouse on east side not even close to shore. Was also drifting. Awesome fishing that day even though it was hot.

Tags
camping, crawling valley, cvr, pike fishing, walleye fishing