Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Okotokian

Default Re: 3 Sheep with friends like you who needs enemies?

I don't trust either side. Newspaper reporters don't know what they are talking about when it comes to guns. If it looks like an uzi, it is to them. Ditto for anything black. I don't trust the additional rabid "support our gun brother" comment either.

Seems to me there are three possible scenarios here:

1) All the guns were legal, his PAL had just lapsed and they raided him without any warning. That smells of a police state and is totally unwarranted.

2)All guns were legal, his PAL had lapsed, and they had repeatedly warned him to re-register. I'd say the raid was prudent and warranted, especially given Mayerthorpe.

3) They actually knew he had "illegal" guns among his registered ones, that he had a REAL full auto uzi and assault rifles, for example. In that case, I say well-warranted raid and give him some jail time.

We always say that "If guns are outlawed, only criminals will have guns". Well, IF (and who knows yet) he was in possession of any illegal firearms, then he IS a criminal. IF that is the case, he isn't my "brother".

One thing I DO have to say is that I'm not concerned with arguments about "What such and such a gun is designed to do". I used to have that distinction, but frankly, the arguments here have made me re-think my position. To me, now, if it's legal, its fine, and if its not, its not. I don't care if its black or pink, big or small.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:28 PM
osterb

I just find it funny when people argue about certain guns.

Like someone shot with a Remington 30-06 is less dead than someone shot with an uzi.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:50 PM
3 Sheep

Man you just don't get it. Are you one of those guy's that works as a Boarder Crossing "BY-LAW" type's. I hope we cross paths one day !:hat
Old 04-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Okotokian

sorry, you lost me completely with the cryptic reply Not sure what you are talking about.

And I know nothing about boarders. Only my own family lives in my house :b
Old 04-27-2007, 04:00 PM
3 Sheep

Default Pale Rider

Don't worry there big shot............ I'm the proud owner of many registered guns. Shotguns, Long guns and hand guns. But not one assault rifle or uzi in the safe. No AK47's, XM8's, HK g41's, HK g11's, SIg SAUER 556's, FN SCAR's, MP5's etc. But you and Osterb being the President's of what Society deems as been a god given right.........then I see your point. Put your names on the ballet for out next Federal Elections !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:02 PM
3 Sheep

Default Re: Pale Rider

Sorry there OKO. I was reffering to the god given expert on everything............Osterb !!!!!!!!!!!! Not you man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:03 PM
honda450

Yeah but osterb the media loves the term "assault rifle". What is the definetion of "assault rifle? Maybe I have it all wrong. Are they black guns?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:04 PM
sheep hunter

Can I ask why the handguns then 3 sheep? You can't hunt with them so what place do they have in your house? Why haven't you turned them over to the government. I mean if you are a cop then you need to carry that one only in the line of duty but why other ones?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:12 PM
HUNTNUT

I don't understand your reasoning. Are you saying that if some guy breaks into your house to make a quick buck by grabbing something quick like your unsecured firearms you shouldn't have to leagally secure them. I know that if someone breaks into my place they can have my tv, stereo, etc. but leave my guns along. Even if they did want them they would have a hell of a time getting them. I've had my firearms under lock and key before it becam the law.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:31 PM
honda450

Hey 3 Sheep you got 12.6 guns? It seems 3 Sheep that if you do it or have it its OK. But if you don't its wrong. Alot of people will say that you owning handguns is wrong. Don't be grudge me out of my 12.5 and 12.6 guns. They are no more dangerous than any of the guns you own.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:12 PM
packhuntr

Default Re: What????????

The only thing that goes through my mind when i think about this and read about you guys attacking each other, is the pictures of the mountains of confiscated personal property{firearms} in Australia. Why are you guys turning on each other??? Fellas, when the hammer comes down, and we could be seeing it in our lifetimes, it isnt gonna matter what color, make or breed it is, they will be GONE......Im not into old or new military stuff, nor am i into hand guns, but i stand behind anyone who enjoys the shooting sports, no matter what flavor it is. The shooting sports are all equally valid, socially acceptable hobbies, but probuably not for long. We best shape up.

keep a strain on er.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Grizzly Adams

The worst thing we, as gun owners can do is fight among ourselves. Divide and conquer is the phrase.
It might seem extreme to some people the treatment Jim zumbo got for his comments, but there is a realization out there that says banning these would only be the thin edge of the wedge. I have a historical interest in firearms and that means I like to shoot any and all of the above as well as collect them. You could logically say, I shouldn't be allowed to that, but if you follow that reasoning, you could find a reason to ban any and all firearms.
the first thing that entered my mind when I heard this story was that someone must have complained, probably a significant other.
Grizz
Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 PM
osterb

Quote:
Don't worry there big shot............ I'm the proud owner of many registered guns.
And someone out there wishes they'd be confiscated from you.

Quote:
Shotguns, Long guns and hand guns. But not one assault rifle or uzi in the safe. No AK47's, XM8's, HK g41's, HK g11's, SIg SAUER 556's, FN SCAR's, MP5's etc.
LMAO HANDGUNS? What the hell do you need a handgun for. You can't hunt with them and simply taking them to the range is not reason enough to own one!

An UZI is a handgun you moron. You claim to own guns but can't differentiate between the different types. What's the difference between an UZI and a glock 17 with a 32 round mag?, The Glock for one is more conceilable.

Quote:
But you and Osterb being the President's of what Society deems as been a god given right.........then I see your point. Put your names on the ballet for out next Federal Elections !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know, it's idiots like you I feel deteriorate this country. Have you any idea how stupid you look to the rest of us?

You own all sorts of guns including handguns, which have no legitimate purpose what so ever ( unless you enjoy freedom as I do) but turn around and want "assault" rifles to be banned?

You speak sarcastically about I making your decisions but in the last election they were coming for YOUR handguns. Not the "assault" rifles, handguns.

That sir, makes you a hypocrite. A dumb one.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 PM
osterb

Guys, I hardly feel we're bickering amongst each other. At the moment there's only of us here who wants to ban guns.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Tree Guy

209 said:

Quote:
Laws dictating how you store your guns are stupid in my opinion. I mean, what purpose do they serve?
Um.........can anyone answer that. Osterb, any opinion?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 PM
ralfsnart

Quote:
Like someone shot with a Remington 30-06 is less dead than someone shot with an uzi.
Only difference is the 30-06 will reach out and touch you at a distance, with one shot...you'd be lucky to get someone with a full clip at 75 yards with an uzi
Old 04-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Southb

Quote:
Um.........can anyone answer that. Osterb, any opinion?
Why do you need osterb for that it is self explanatory you have guns you know what he means GOD TREE:rolleyes :rolleyes
Old 04-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Tree Guy

No Southb, I don't know what he means. :rolleyes

Can you explain what he means? Can you explain the most assinine statement I have ever seen on this site? Can you explain why laws regarding storage and securing of firearms are, "stupid"? Can you explain why there shouldn't be punishment for unsafe storage to the family of some 15 year old kid just gunned down with a stolen gun? Can you? I mean GOD SOUTHB.:rolleyes
Old 04-27-2007, 08:43 PM
osterb

Safe storage is initially meant to prevent accidents especially with children. I've also heard it's to prevent guns from being readily accessible in the event of a domestic dispute.

Of course the other side is theft prevention. Restricted and prohibited firearms have to be locked more securely than non-restricted because it's accepted that these guns are more of a threat in the wrong hands than simply long guns.

In theory you should be able to have guns where ever you want excluding if you have children or other people in a residence. In theory it's your property and no one should be there anyways without your permission.

In reality it's an attempt to make it that much harder for theft to occur.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Southb

Yes i can. dont act so retarted on this site looking for answer's you already know that's called sh#t disturber GOD TREE :rolleyes
Old 04-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Tree Guy

Southb, if challenging people to explain/justify their opinions is being a s@%t disturber....then I guess I am.

Osterb thank you for your answer.

Southb, you said that you could answer my questions and called me a retard. Could you then answer those questions for a poor hopeless retard, rather that just saying you can?

tReEtard
Old 04-27-2007, 10:08 PM
chef

Default unbalanced

considering and reviewing all that jas been posted .
i can only come to one conclusion and its the same one i have felt from the beginning ,
i was even reasured by another member once , OSTER is an unbalanced and dangerous character ,he has some extreme weaponry and has the mentality to use them .as you can tell by his blatant remarks and name calling as well as his persistant defence of asault rifle and weapons of mass distruction.
only those that to own such weapons have a plan in mind.
hunting isnt one of them , as he has stated , he goes to safeway , so why so much interest in such a distructive weapon.not like a hunting rifle is not distructive , but one look at an individual and his arsenal of weapons tells alot as well as a bypolar or a skitzo problem,..
ONE of the most important thing on this board is that it is frequented by rc,s f&w as well as local police and hopefully things are picked up and investigated ,and loose cannons are exposed.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:00 PM
rugatika

Default Re: unbalanced

Chef. That was probably the scariest thing I have ever read on here. Calling someone unbalanced and then blatantly recommending he be investigated by the government. For speaking out about something he feels should be a legal activity? I've read something similar occurring before sometime in history but can't quite remember where.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Tree Guy

Holy crap!! The line has been drawn and the gloves have now come off! Stand back boys, this is gonna get real interestin'!:b

Chef, I understand what you are saying...sort of. Everyday in society, people are judged by the car they drive, the clothes they wear, the dog they walk, etc, etc.....The transition to judging someone by the guns they own is therefore natural.

People make assumptions as to the character of a person based on the style that individual preferes. It has been proven in psychology that there is a degree of correlation to that theory, but it is not a hard and fast rule by any means.

It maybe kind of presumptious to diagonois mental conditions based on the types of firearms that an individual claims to have on a chat room. IMHO
Old 04-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Scooterj

Default Magpie 3

I usually try to stay out of these mud slingers when it starts flying, but I can't on this one. Chef, you are waayy wide of the barn door, just because a fella doesn't hunt doesn't mean his firearm of choice should be banned---The archery guru who shoots FITA but doesn't hunt, should he have his bow taken away?? The guy that hops up his car, is he a full blown race car driver? or does he just like to have a nice car??? I have shot Service Rifle matches in 4 provinces in Canada, and 5 states in the US. They were all shot with "Assault Rifles" and I am sure that some of the shooters had never dropped a deer in their life, but they were some of the nicest God-fearing, law abiding stand up kind of people I have ever met. Now are they bad folks simply because of the type of weapon they shoot?? Give me a break.
The type of weapon in the hands of someone hell-bent on killing is basically only limited to what that person can get their hands on when they go for it. How many stabbings occur in any Canadian or US city daily , five hundred times the amount that occur with firearms, yet do you hear the call to ban knives???? No and it will never happen. What about vehicular homocide? People get drunk and climb behind the wheel every day, and kill innocent men, women and children, and usually only spend 1-5 yrs in jail to think about it, but are we going to ban cars and trucks...
The whole issue boils down to the fact that we live in a free country, and we should not take our freedom for granted. When personal freedoms are taken away by some political party looking to garner more votes, this is when we as law-abiding gun owners must make ourselves heard and band together to defend our shooting sports.
BTW, degenerating into name calling and heckling serves no useful purpose, and only harms this fine message board in many ways, let's put a stop to it, yesss???
Old 04-27-2007, 11:12 PM
rugatika

Default Re: Magpie 3

I agree with you Scooter except the part about thinking a knife ban is unlikely. In England they have banned "pointy" knives and only chefs can now own them.

Never underestimate the amount of freedom people will surrender to the state so that they may "FEEL" safe.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:34 PM
3 Sheep

Default Keep your sticks on the ice kids !

Oster: Either you got beat up a lot as a kid or you did the beatings yourself !!!!!!!!!!! Did I name call you? Did I be-little you? When uneducated people get backed into corners they tend to come out name calling and fighting. That's all they know ! Can't you have a conversation without fear mongering ? What are you so angry about. Don't you know now to carry on constructive conversations ? I have my thoughts and you have your's, but I will not crawl in your grass with you and sling mud in your corner ! You appear to be a passionate man about somethings that you believe in, but if you have trouble with how things are going, may I suggest you sit down with your self and have a long talk ! You stated that there appears to be an issue with a man walking by a school with a hunting rifle and was taken down by TAC/ ERT teams. I don't know about anyone else on this board, but I have never hunted within an eye sight of a school. The dumb a*s should have feared that he was going to get shot at any second. The police should have used deadly force with out even asking questions first. People that are this stupid need to be taken out of the gene pool !!!!!!!! If the guy in Drumheller wants to call the big boys out to the park........you best better expect to get your ass kicked ! Anyone that has made the mindless decision to take arms up against another person needs to be taught a life altering lesson. You don't get to stand up half way through and say "OK, just kidding...didn't really mean it". I would be turtling in the corner waiting for my beating ! Oster, It's just not me man, others see right through you as well. I do believe you need help !
Old 04-27-2007, 11:55 PM
rugatika

Default Re: Keep your sticks on the ice kids !

The guy was walking back to town I believe after hunting outside of town.

Quote:
The police should have used deadly force with out even asking questions first.
Glad you weren't "the police" in my hometown when I was growing up. I can remember walking out of town with friends when I was 14 or so to go shoot varmints. The path we took to get out of town went past a school.

3sheep, are you saying that just because you have a badge it is OK to kill someone in cold blood just for carrying his hunting rifle through town?? Is it OK if you're riding a bike? A motorbike? What if I drive past a school with a gun in my car? This is damn scary to hear someone saying that I am putting my life at risk of getting killed by an officer of the law for carrying a rifle.

Have we gotten to the state in this country where the mere sight of someone with a gun automatically gives the police the right to shoot first and ask questions later? This guy was not pointing a gun at anyone. He was walking through town carrying a 22 (actually I think it might have been a pellet gun).

PS: I'm a big fan of the police and the tough job they do.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:03 AM
chef

Default unbalanced

RUG/ i wasnt only refering to osters wildman antics , there are a few members that are also fanatic gun nutz so to speak .
I am opposed to most gun laws amd ****e we have been dealt.
but some times you have to open your eyes and see whats going on in the back of some minds , when a passion of certain guns and the chance they may become prohibited completely ,has gotten the individual to an extreme temper upon others that have no control and only an opinion on the subject , one has to wonder,3 SHEEP i do agree with you in every aspect .
AS far as the barn door statement , im lost , have you not read the thread and have you not followed previous arguements on this topic and have you not followed the reaction and comments of the above said enthusiast .
Old 04-28-2007, 12:20 AM
rugatika

Chef. I'm really not too concerned about someone just because they are passionate about guns, whatever kind they are. Collecting, shooting, hunting, whatever, they are all legit activities and as long as the person does not have a violent criminal background or is making threats then I have no problem with them owning however many or whatever kind of guns they want.

What does scare me is the number of criminals that are being "taught" that there are no consequences for their crimes. What does concern me is that honest law abiding citizens are being asked to give up their freedoms because our judicial system is unwilling to take freedoms away from criminals.

How can you say Osterb is unbalanced when you just heard another member on this board calling for the execution of anyone seen near a schoolyard with a rifle? The execution of an innocent man. No judge, no jury, no crime. Amazing. The mere act of carrying a rifle near (not at) a school is cause to be shot by a police officer now??

Not sure what you mean about the barndoor statement.

Edit: If you had spent a certain amount of time and money to a hobby like rebuilding muscle cars and the government then threatens to take away your 1969Camaro RS/SS etc that you have several thousand dollars and several hundred hours into would you not be somewhat aggravated also. Being aggravated does not imply any type of imbalance.