Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 01:14 PM

Default Ice Fishing Shelter Fabric/Tarp

I have been contemplating the idea of building a simple ice fishing shelter that I could potentially leave setup on a lake for a period of time. Just something to keep the wind out and make it a little darker inside to allow easier viewing down the holes. I was thinking of starting with a PVC pipe frame and tarps as a bit of a prototype. That way it's relatively cheap, easy to build, and can still be collapsed for transport if I don't glue all the joints. It would also allow me to try it out a couple of times for things like size to use before building something a little more permanent. Has anyone used this approach (PVC and plain tarps) for this purpose and how does it hold up? I know the tarps will deteriorate pretty quickly if I leave it setup but I'm assuming I'd be able to get one fishing season out of it before the tarps are garbage? Not sure how they'd do in really cold temperatures with winds pushing on them. When I do get to building something a little longer lasting, what type of fabric/cover material do you guys recommend for repelling water and surviving a number of years? Thanks for any tips.