Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How many have you hit?
Deer 143 74.48%
Moose 20 10.42%
Pronghorn 5 2.60%
Elk 4 2.08%
Caribou 0 0%
Coyote 61 31.77%
Wolf 1 0.52%
Bear 9 4.69%
Misc. birds 147 76.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2020, 11:29 AM

Default How many deer have you hit so far...?

Repairing my vehicle from some minor deer damage. What have you guys hit? How many? What’s your stories?

Good health to all,
FT
Old 03-30-2020, 11:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Ice fog...coming back from my blind....night....77 datson pickup...lights even on high beam are weak...thick fog and then deer heaven on the grid road...10-2 on the wheel and whack....hood buckles up...truck stalls out....I get out to see nothing on the road...walked into the ditch and nothing...walk to the front of truck to inspect damage and find the tail embedded In the grill...it snapped off right at the spine so all I got a piece of tail out of this one....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-30-2020, 11:36 AM

So far luck and reflexes have been on my side and have only had close calls. With a handful of near misses of only a few inches one day I may not be so lucky

Well if you are going to add small game there has been more than a few birds, squirrels and possums that experienced better days
Old 03-30-2020, 11:40 AM
Banned

One deer about 20yrs ago on the train tracks hwy 45 east of Two Hills.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:47 AM
Banned

Only animal I ever hit was 25 years ago...in the city of Edmonton. Before leash laws someone was walking their Afghan that darted into traffic right in front of me.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:47 AM

Deer, two years ago. Hwy 3 near Rock Creek closer to the weigh scale, a popular crossing area. But it wasn't my truck No damage anyway as it pretty much tried to get underneath and was literally run over with no strike to the truck body. I was driving buddies truck with a just harvested elk in the box

Many, many near misses with moose, deer and elk
Old 03-30-2020, 11:53 AM

Also- 1 dog. 1 Cow.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-30-2020, 12:06 PM

I've been fortunate enough to only have had close calls with deer and elk on the highway. I've hit a few game birds along with small songbirds and a few rabbits. Come damned close to hitting deer a few times though, I've been lucky.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:06 PM

One moose in 2000. I was headed home from scouting Mule deer at last light, came over a hill and there was a bull and cow in the middle of the road. I got around the back of the cow but there was an unseen calf behind her and in hit it dead centre. Luckily I had slowed significantly by then and was likely only going 60k.

Also hit a great horned owl in 2001, same thing headed home from a scouting trip. It swooped in front of the car at night and I didn’t have a chance to avoid it.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:13 PM

Back in my driving days the big moose bumper on my freightliner saved me a lot of repairs. White tails, antelope, black bear, yotes, lynx all took a beating. Crossing Montana and Wyoming at night it was if you hit something it was when. Even with driving lights off antelope would run out of the ditch and stand on the road.

BW
Old 03-30-2020, 12:14 PM

We live mostly in the bush.. so at night the roads are very very dark.. I hit one deer a few years ago and actually held its head in the ditch until it died..I didn’t have anything with me to dispatch the animal so we sat together for about 5 minutes while it took very short breaths, and it passed away in my arms.. truck was wrote off and now I have some very bright lights for back road driving, I don’t wanna go through that again!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-30-2020, 12:18 PM

An owl that caused $2500 damage last October, and a Hungarian partridge that caused minor damage to my car about 15 years ago. Other than that, I have had close calls, but no collisions.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:19 PM

17 year daily commute from Turner Valley to Calgary and return had animal encounters average 1 a week- more in the fall and winter.
I think less than 30 strikes.

Favorite was Eastbound 22x a few kliks West of Spruce Meadows at 5am on Oct 25th/1992 ended into the Delta Hotel for work. Happy Birthday to me.
Just coming down the hill where the old huge Evergreen grew between the Highways.
Took a pull on my coffee cup and as I lowered it a Muley Buck had jumped the guardrail and I hit him mid-air with my 79 Cutlass Calais. Exploded my rad-took out windshield and slide over the roof mid-line on the vehicle. Vehicle spinning down the highway hitting guardrail until I ran out of guardrail and rolled into the ditch Southside.

Dark out-tried hitch hiking ended up walking all the way into Shawnessy Coop to use the phone to call work to inform I would be late.Asked to use the phone and was told NO. Not unless you are a COOP member. Lost my cool and he reluctantly gave me access.

Good Times.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:21 PM

1 deer coming home from eating out in longview and another coming home from hunting,which was chased in front of my truck by at least 3 border collie's,of which I had a heated discussion with owners.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:29 PM

Had to replace a truck hood after hitting a goose.
The boss asked "how the hell did you hit a goose?" I told him you can hit anything if you drive fast enough.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:31 PM

Smoked a deer on the highway. Was able to drive home but front grill was trashed. Wife hit one on same highway. She claimed the deer ran into the car?

Last summer I had a duck taking off come across the highway. Hit my sideview and splattered **** and crap all over my driver side window
Old 03-30-2020, 12:37 PM

In about 1998 i was westbound to Edmonton at dusk. Flock of ducks came off the slough along the highway low and fast. Caught one right in front of me on the windshield. Put a football sized cave in the glass. Glass everywhere inside.

2001 or so. First company truck I was trusted with. Brand new F350 Lariat Dually. The owners personal truck. I had it for five days. On my way home and just south of Athabasca I centre punch a small doe. Only the bumper got it thank goodness.

2004. Bought my own brand new F350 Lariat Dually. On my way home from hunting. Moon is bright. “Oh look. There’s a bunch of deer out in that field” as I’m looking to the side. My eyes come back to the road just in time to see two ears over the hood. BANG. Bumper only again.

2006. On an ALPAC road. Middle of the day. Whitetail comes just boiling onto the road a couple hundred yards in front of me and is running towards me. Odd. Big black wolf comes out of the trees where the deer exited. I’m watching the wolf. Completely forgot about the deer. Actually, I’m wondering if I could hit the thing if I gave er. Suddenly a bump bump. Noooo... look in the mirror. Yes. You just ran over the deer you idiot. Not a lick of damage to my truck. God I felt stupid.

Had a super close call with moose years ago. Terrible whiteout conditions. I doubt I was doing 40km/hr. Suddenly three black shadows on the road. Brakes were useless. I coasted through a gap between two of them and the mirror of the truck slapped into my side window as it tagged what I can only assume was a snout.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Had to replace a truck hood after hitting a goose.
The boss asked "how the hell did you hit a goose?" I told him you can hit anything if you drive fast enough.
That's funny.

'well I missed the first couple, but found if you are in a company truck and hit an approach at mach chicken you get just enough altitude over a slough...'

Someone asked me how the hell I hit a cow too.

Came over a hill, pitch black 6pm fall night no moon, and there she was, damn black cow with no wideload sign or clearance lights or anything.

Had time to yell COW! and brace as I pounded the brakes. The cow slid over a hundred feet on the road and into the ditch, the truck must have thought we were not moving, airbags happily did not go off. She was a big old girl too, destroyed that little truck.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-30-2020, 12:42 PM

A few years ago I hit 2 hawks on the same day.
I was feeling bad about the first one still, and about an hour later hit another.
I was ready to walk home.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:51 PM

Schwacked a Canada goose with the antenna on a truck.

Goose seemed upset.

I was doing about 35 kmh so it was survivable. The antenna not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
A few years ago I hit 2 hawks on the same day.
I was feeling bad about the first one still, and about an hour later hit another.
I was ready to walk home.
lol I know the feeling. Right about now, when all the snowbirds start showing up, I think of the Ann Murray song "snowbird"

https://www.google.ca/search?sxsrf=A...sclient=psy-ab

'spread your tiny wings and nooooooo' splat.
'I just hit a snowbird, got another yesterdaaaaaaay'

Old 03-30-2020, 12:53 PM

I was driving in Sask to go ice fishing with my buddy and his dog, I took attention away for a second and boom, out of the fog arose 6-8 white tails. I slammed on the breaks and tried to thread the needle through the group and ended up taking out my front left end.... still waiting for all my parts to come in!
Old 03-30-2020, 01:00 PM

Hit a moose while working on a site in New Brunswick, out by Chipman. Made the mistake of hitting the brakes when I saw her trying to pass me on the passenger side. She jumped in front of me and I hit her with the hood on the driver's side of the vehicle.

Looking at the damage, it was a miracle that she didn't slide up and into my lap. The hood crumpled in such a manner that it scooped her up and flung her away.

Managed to drive that Yukon back to the nearest rental place, swapped it out for a Pacifica. That night a bull moose charged me and I barely got away. I can still see the look on my passenger's face, with a view of antlers in the window next to him as the moose tried to sideswipe us. I learned some new words from that Irving employee that day.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:03 PM

When I reported to my insurer, I made it clear that the deer hit my truck while making an unsafe left turn....
Old 03-30-2020, 01:19 PM

Been very close to hitting a few deer and a moose but quick reflexes have saved me so far. I don’t drive fast either. I did hit a Hoary bat one time at 3 in the morning on my way to a campsite for a weekend of fly fishing the crowsnest. The thing took out my headlight. I had no idea we have bats that big in Alberta.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:33 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Also- 1 dog. 1 Cow.
Oh I hit a cow on my Honda xl175 too....cow won...was sore for a few weeks and bike was buggered up too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-30-2020, 01:33 PM

One WT deer in 1990 while driving back to the motel after work through the Macintyre ranch. Basically wrote vehicle off after I finished paying it off a month prior to that.

Then good till 2010 one mule doe that was like hitting a cow 12000$ damage.
Since then 6 WT all damage 3500$ or less.

Killed more deer with the dodge since 06 than with the rifle

Numerous coyotes in that time and a few weave through the moose encounters.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That's funny.

Someone asked me how the hell I hit a cow too.

Came over a hill, pitch black 6pm fall night no moon, and there she was, damn black cow with no wideload sign or clearance lights or anything.

Had time to yell COW! and brace as I pounded the brakes. The cow slid over a hundred feet on the road and into the ditch, the truck must have thought we were not moving, airbags happily did not go off. She was a big old girl too, destroyed that little truck.
That reminded me of the time I hit a Cow just north of Gibbons on Highway 28 near where the golf course is today. There was a pasture there at the time and the fence was in poor repair. I came down the hill and let the KW roll black as the inside of a cow out. All of a sudden there was a black cow on the zipper line facing away, boom and off comes the left fender. Kept it on that narrow road. Had one head light a bent bumper and no right fender. Made it to the four lane just south of where I hit the milk machine. No cell phones 10:00 at night. Truck behind me drove into the city and called the cops who came out, he also had a tow truck sent out. While this was all taking place another truck takes out another cow going north near where I hit mine going south. RCMP were not impressed, got a hold of the landowner and had him come out to see why his cows were crossing the highway. They were crossing because they could. I can't believe I forgot about this...

BW
Old 03-30-2020, 01:40 PM

Jus that one friggin moose that totaled my car and my cabbage...... 2 months ago I think

I’m still messed up from it. I did 20 minutes of chainsaw work yesterday

Tinnitus and headached up all night

Zero sleep.... can’t handle light today.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-30-2020, 01:45 PM

1 and only..... sliced one in half on my Kawasaki ninja in 1997.