Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2017, 09:31 AM

Default 12ft marlon jon boat trailer??

(Was going to post in general discussion but that group seems to just be about politics) Thinking of getting a trailer and a gas motor for my 12 foot jon boat, as it would be much easier to load/unload rather than dumping it in my 8ft truck bed all the time.

The problem is its not a typical jon boat. Most 12ft jon boats have a 55 inch beam and a 36 inch bottom. Mine however has a 59 inch beam and a 51 inch bottom. The boat only weighs 130lbs.

Would a traditional jon boat trailer work? What should i look for and where can i find something that works in alberta? Does anyone know of a dealer that sells jon boat trailers? I live in grande prairie but i will travel if need be.

Also: the boat is rated for 10hp, would it be okay to put a 9.9hp 4 stroke on it? Was thinking about a 6hp to keep the weight of the boat a little more balanced, and i dont want to get something too powerful that it would cause the front of the boat to touch the stars

Thank in advance for your input
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5602.JPG (19.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 AM

Default Jon

I had a Johnson 9.9 on mine, sure was fast. Problem was getting the nose down to plane. My dog would sit up front and I put a longer fuel hose on the tank so I could put it up front.

With two people it wasn't an issue.