Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Brood stock are what you caught in Phyllis and Cow. They are retired from the hatchery. They are not raised to this weight in the lake. Most brood stock die within a short time.

Was out wandering the other day and drive into Beaver lake. Nineteen trucks and cars in the parking lot. Went over to Struble and there was three. Difference - Beaver has some decent fish, 0 limits. Struble has typical 5 limit in trout and 15 on perch. Looks like the public is voting with their feet.

Don
I'm aware of what I caught. You said there was no big fish. I'm telling you there is. Now they're not good enough big fish.

When was the last time Cow was stocked with broods? To my understanding, maybe 6 or 7 years ago, but i could most certainly be wrong on that.

Go catch some perch at Strubel, wife says they're lovely to eat.

I caught a beautiful rainbow on the Sheep last year, right inside Okotoks city limits.

I like fishing.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
I'm saying instead of complaining, enjoy it. The idiots have dumped the perch in, and they aren't magically disappearing, so eat the dang things. Spend a half million dollars on a fishery that ISN'T ever going to be self sustainable is stupidity. Don't you realize that? Not like the trout get to be trophy size.

What's the saying about life giving you lemons? I for one am tired of my money being spent on trout to feed the birds. Can't imagine what the diet of the Pelicans costs us outdoors people.
Have fun with that - Struble that is. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I don't know...I guess I'm the eternal optimist.
I wonder how the Manitoba Parkland got started. Maybe some forward thinking people that wanted to make things better at lakes that were considered not sustainable in their current state. I'd like to think Struble has the same potential.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I wonder how the Manitoba Parkland got started. Maybe some forward thinking people that wanted to make things better at lakes that were considered not sustainable in their current state. I'd like to think Struble has the same potential.
http://flippr.ca/about-flippr/

FLIPPR is a grassroots volunteer group of Parkland residents, municipalities and business partners whose vision is to create a world class still-water trout fishery for economic and recreational opportunities in the Manitoba Parkland Region. Our goal in the words of our first chairman Robert Sopuck is to develop a necklace of lakes along the west and southern boundaries of Riding Mountain National Park.

History

The evolution of parklands trout fishing is quite interesting. In the 1950’s Manitoba Department of Natural Resources started the first stocking of rainbow trout in Norc Lake southwest of Erickson Manitoba. The lake quickly produced large trout – the first indication of the phenomenal growth rates produced by Parkland waters. The lake winter-killed every 2 to 3 years and the project was abandoned.

In the late 1960’s, scientists from Winnipeg’s Freshwater Institute initiated fisheries research within the Parklands Region. Many waterbodies had no official names so they were designated numbers such as, Lake 14, Lake 17, Lake 400, etc. The objective of the research was to facilitate the development of fish farming as a method of increasing the economic potential of the area. A new type of farming! The research documented the incredible growth rates of trout in the waterbodies. An unnamed lake west of PR270 was home to the first aeration system in the Parklands.

The knowledge generated by the research did not translate into the development of a fish farming industry. Regional residents did not like the table qualities of rich trout flesh, especially when many trout lakes produced a very muddy tasting meal. Citizens much preferred traditional Northern pike, pickerel and perch for their table. Little thought was given to the idea of recreational fishing nor its economic potential.

After the widespread winter-kills of 1988, ’89, and ’90 local fish and wildlife groups thought they would “try” some brown and rainbow trout in these now empty or dead lakes. Perhaps the local proponents were not aware of the hight fertility of these lakes or that the lakes literally swam with some of the largest gammarus scuds (freshwater shrimp) found anywhere. No one anticipated that trout would gain over a kilogram a year during prime growth years. Within 4 years many trout in excess of 27 inches were available. Locally new words became common in the fish folk community; wads swell as silver pigs, shame, and Tokaryk Take.

Word spread rapidly and reinforced the idea of a world class trout fishery was achievable. Local leaders worked with Fisheries Branch staff, and soon were promoting “Big 7” Lakes; Perch, East blue, Gull and Laurie lakes in the Ducks, plus East Goose Spear and Tokaryk within the Parklands. FLIPPR was organized and became a reality in 2000. FLIPPR moved forward and started identifying potential new lakes to broaden the resource base to develop larger economic and recreational opportunities, while strengthening a partnership with Fisheries Branch and local government. While it may be true that few saw and were prepared for the success of the fishery, the results clearly proved that vision was being achieved. Some seven lakes have now been developed, more on the horizon. These lakes, plus those in Duck Mountain Provincial Park, plus lakes others have developed have resulted in ever expanding opportunities for fisherman.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:11 PM

Thanks, my question was rhetorical.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Hasn't had a killer winter since it was bucket brigaded.
It was "perched" twenty five years ago and has never winter killed that I can remember. Tay is about forty years now.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
It was "perched" twenty five years ago and has never winter killed that I can remember. Tay is about forty years now.
If it's been that long, what's the problem with keeping the fish? They haven't disappeared. A little late to be whining about it now.
Yup going to enjoy the perch. Sounds like a great thing to me. Doesn't sound like it's going to be crowded.

On the side conversation, small perch because of no predators. We are the predators needed. Catch a few Hun fish each, start remove some and make room to grow.

And as for the question, how do people clean them smaller perch? Same way people clean and cook those tiny trout they put in there.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:59 AM

I get the reasoning for not allowing people to take a fish species that has been stocked illegally. They don't want to reward the bucket brigade and encourage more of it. But I'm wondering if there should be a statute of limitations on the concept. Does it make sense to allow perch, for example, to take over a body of water or dominate it for decades? How about allowing people to take them after, say, ten years. I doubt many bucket brigade types would be looking that far down the road. Just a thought...
Old 05-11-2017, 10:32 AM

I don't know. I get that illegal stocking is terrible for our fisheries but after decades of these fish being established why is it so wrong to take a few from it? Sounds like there are too many small perch and not enough large ones, so thin them out a bit.

How are they going to deal with this kind of problem? How are they able to deal with the carp? Is this the same thing?

I really don't think this will encourage more of illegal stocking letting people keep some perch. I've never been but we might go to check this place out. Maybe it will help the trout population. I think we should leave it to the experts on this one on what is best.