Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Big.Bear

Default Lets see your flytying area!

Hey everyone,

I know many on here are like myself and do allot of fly-tying. I have been tying for 11 years now. What does your little area look like? Mine is just a big table with a big plastic thing with drawers. I have been thinking of getting a desk with drawers and have also seen some nice set ups where guys have had that peg board with hooks like stores have. Was just curious to see how everyone else has there area set up!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Big.Bear

Here's something I found that some might find helpful

http://www.about-flyfishing.com/libr.../aa040611a.htm
Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 AM

My tying area is all apart right now.... building a new room, and right now its in the "draywall taping stage' Hopefully I'll be back at it soon.....
Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Just got mine moved and it's a bit of a mess right now.This will give me incentive to get it cleaned up and post a pic.Mine is a combination of fly tying and shot shell,rifle reloading.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
Just got mine moved and it's a bit of a mess right now.This will give me incentive to get it cleaned up and post a pic.Mine is a combination of fly tying and shot shell,rifle reloading.
sounds exactly like my room, a combination of reloadind, fly tying, magazine reading and just an escape from everyone. I would post pics but its a disaster area right now I guess Ill get to cleaning it up soon. The wife keeps throwing everything she can find of mine in there its a huge mess right now
Old 01-03-2009, 03:11 PM

Smile

I build custom fly rods, so I always have my work bench all full of rod stuff. I've found it better to have a kit so my fly tying stuff is totally portable. That way I can set it up in the dining room whenever I want to tie flies. I usually tie for a week or so then when I have to build a rod I put it all away in my kit then pull it back out when I'm all done. It's also nice to bring it along if I go to the tying club or over to a buddy's place to tie flies over a few brews.

I have so much packed into this container if it was all laid out it would cover my entire living room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fly tying kit.jpg (54.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg First layer of tying box.jpg (76.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Second layer of tying box.jpg (75.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Bottom layer of tying box.jpg (58.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 01-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
I build custom fly rods, so I always have my work bench all full of rod stuff. I've found it better to have a kit so my fly tying stuff is totally portable. That way I can set it up in the dining room whenever I want to tie flies. I usually tie for a week or so then when I have to build a rod I put it all away in my kit then pull it back out when I'm all done. It's also nice to bring it along if I go to the tying club or over to a buddy's place to tie flies over a few brews.

I have so much packed into this container if it was all laid out it would cover my entire 12X20 living room.
lol if only I could fit all my flytying stuff into that

Once we find a place to get settled im going to build rods again to.
Then ill have a even bigger mess lol.

Very nice setup though
Old 01-03-2009, 05:20 PM
TundraBuck

Yep I have a room in my house. Two huge desks on opposite walls with a couple chairs. One desk on a 10 foot wall is for reloading, the opposite desk is for fly tying.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post

I have so much packed into this container if it was all laid out it would cover my entire living room.
shaweeeeeeeeeeeeeet kit. some nice feathers and stuff in there.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
shaweeeeeeeeeeeeeet kit. some nice feathers and stuff in there.
Yeah! That must have cost alot!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Big.Bear

Flytying is like anything else, keep an eye out for deals. And with fly tying you can never have enough fir or feathers lol.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .LOON. View Post
Flytying is like anything else, keep an eye out for deals. And with fly tying you can never have enough fir or feathers lol.
You got that right Loon,I've been tying now for 36 years and I'm still adding to my collection.Being a hunter helps keep me in all the deer and elk hair I need,plus all the upland game and migratory.I'm always on the look out for deals on capes and saddles.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
You got that right Loon,I've been tying now for 36 years and I'm still adding to my collection.Being a hunter helps keep me in all the deer and elk hair I need,plus all the upland game and migratory.I'm always on the look out for deals on capes and saddles.
LOL, good to hear, I have toed for about 11 years now. I have taught advanced and beginner lessons and used to tie for allot of the shops back home and had allot of business over the internet. With that I always tried to find the best deals I could. I always dig through those 50% of bins with a giant smile lol. Yet I always make sure anything I use is good quality.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:24 PM

Here is my home made tying surface, the Norvise is mounted on a plexi board so it can be used elsewhere. The main advantage to the desktop is the white background, makes a big difference. I tie about 2000 flies per year and lose most of them!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Big.Bear

what kind of light is that you have? I have been looking for a good one
Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 PM

That is an Ott light. It has a natural light bulb in it so you can easily see the colors. Micheal's arts and crafts sells them, wait for the 40% off coupon in the paper. I like how close you can put the lamp without interfering with your tying.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Big.Bear

Sounds perfect for me, ill have to take a peek around. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 AM

Here are some pics of my "room". I have just begun fly tying so my equipment is very basic but I am happy with the results so far. I'm looking forward to trying my flies on the water. I will be testing them for the first time in february for steel head and i'm pretty excited to see the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boxingday08037.jpg (63.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Boxingday08038.jpg (79.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Boxingday08040.jpg (75.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Boxingday08042.jpg (71.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
Here are some pics of my "room". I have just begun fly tying so my equipment is very basic but I am happy with the results so far. I'm looking forward to trying my flies on the water. I will be testing them for the first time in february for steel head and i'm pretty excited to see the results.
Where are you going for streelhead? you can PM if you want. I used to fish for them in B.C. and there's no rush like getting a steelhead. If you want I have some REAL GOOD patterns for them I can share.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM

I setup a nice bench but haven't had alot of time to tie. I want to get into classic salmon flies but I need someone local to learn from. I'm in Edmonton.

Anyway, here's my station.

Garrick.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
I setup a nice bench but haven't had alot of time to tie. I want to get into classic salmon flies but I need someone local to learn from. I'm in Edmonton.

Anyway, here's my station.

Garrick.
thats a nice little setup
Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Big.Bear

This is my temporary tying area. Until we find somewhere bigger to move to here in town. Normally I have feathers everywhere and have about 5 more tubs of stuff lol.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 AM

Thanks. My wife likes it because it closes up so my kids can't mess with it. It also looke like any other piece of furniture closed up so that helps too.

Garrick.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Big.Bear

yeah very good idea!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 PM

Finally got my butt in gear and got my room cleaned and took a couple pics of my tying area.Not much to see but it's what I've got.Not seen are storage boxes of material,six to be exact.I would love to be able to have most of it out but space just doesn't allow it.Like I mentioned earlier this room also doubles as a reloading room and all outdoor related storage area.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Big.Bear

nice setup!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:49 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by .LOON. View Post
lol if only I could fit all my flytying stuff into that

Once we find a place to get settled im going to build rods again to.
Then ill have a even bigger mess lol.

Very nice setup though
Too funny. That's just my portable set up that I take with me when I'm traveling. There's way too much stuff to even concider putting it all into one box. But for traveling it's nice to have a bit of everything so that you can tie in the evenings and be ready for the next day of fishing.