Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2009, 09:28 PM

Default wabamun pike

just wondering how's the pike fishing at wabamun?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM

It's usually always good. Ive never been there and not caught and average of a 8lb pike. but my spots a secrete! haha.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Default fussy pike?

I tried there on saturday, usung a glow jig and minnow and had a few come right in and show interest but none took it! A freind got a small one on a wireworm and maggot.

I tried faster and slower action with the minnow but they all hung around, looked interested and then left! Some looked quite decent size (4-8lbs).

What do you guys do in terms of technique?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 PM

Went out on saturday. The pike were a little less agressive but managed to catch a 3,4,5,6, and a 9 pound one. Only saw one whitefish. I might have to move in shallower to catch the whites. The ice was almost 18 inches where we were.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:31 PM

I took my father in law and my two sons out to Wabaman on Sunday. We went out on the lake just out from south Seba. We caught a few small perch on silver Castmasters with maggots, 1 nice 6 lb pike on a five of diamonds with a smelt, and had a big burbot break off just as his head came out of the hole. I have not caught many burbot but this guys head was not much smaller than our 8" hole. I had a good W.W.F. match with my boys on the ice in the 10 degree Alberta sunshine . It was a great day. The look on my boys faces catching fish and when the burbot poked his face thru the hole was priceless. On the way home they were asking when are we going out next to try to catch the one that got away. There was one lone gentlemen next to us that was not having any luck. He said in the past that this was a good spot and around the corner to the west, in front of the yacht club, was usually good for whites. Have fun out there.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM

Default Wabamun

Was out on Sunday and caught fairly steady all day. Nothing too big 7-8pounds being the largest but fun none the less. Caught 4 whites around noon but they seemed to slow down alot after 2:00pm. Caught myself dozing off a few times inside the tent with the nice warm weather. Good luck.