Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Default Wd-40

As some of you may know if you put WD-40 on your jig + minnow when walleye fishing seems to catch more fish. Why is this?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 AM

isn't that toxic to the fish and the environment ???
Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 AM

WD 40's main ingredient is FISH OIL.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 AM

The old boys used to talk about that, but that can't be legal or good for the environment. I don't want eat WD-40 fish though.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 AM

WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquified petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients
The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:

60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
1-5%: Carbon dioxide
It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.

The amount you use on lures is probably miniscule compared to what gets spit out from outboard motors but still please don't use it in the waterways!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquified petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients
The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:

60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
1-5%: Carbon dioxide
It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.

The amount you use on lures is probably miniscule compared to what gets spit out from outboard motors but still please don't use it in the waterways!
Excellent post.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM

i used to use it all the time in pine lake for jacks, wayy back. I was told it just took the scent of you off of the hook. It definatley worked for something.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
i used to use it all the time in pine lake for jacks, wayy back. I was told it just took the scent of you off of the hook. It definatley worked for something.
Us too as well. Don't use it anymore though.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:04 PM

Default wd-40

have also used it, what it does is remove the humane scent from the bait your,re playin with , makes those finicky biters alittle more sure they will eat it.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM

works for springs too

hilgy
Old 01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Big.Bear

is it actually legal? I have never used it and never will
Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM

Wouldnt catch me using it even if it wasnt Illegal , Im pretty sure it would be , but hard to say forsure .
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM

Reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy fishing skit:

"P-U Stink bait!! That's one product that lives up to it's name! Spray a little of that stuff on your lures you can scratch fish off the grocery list!"
Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the post Slingshotz. I guess I shouldn't have believed the email with all the uses for wd 40 I received a while back. Good to know. Here's some more info:
White spirit, also known as Stoddard solvent, is a paraffin-derived clear, transparent liquid which is a common organic solvent used in painting and decorating. In 1924, an Atlanta dry cleaner named W. J. Stoddard worked with Lloyd E. Jackson of the Mellon Research Institute to develop specifications for a less volatile dry cleaning solvent as an alternative to more volatile petroleum solvents. Dry cleaners began using it in 1928 and it was the predominant dry cleaning solvent in the United States from the late 1920s until the late 1950s.

It is a mixture of saturated aliphatic and alicyclic C7 to C12 hydrocarbons with a maximum content of 25% of C7 to C12 alkyl aromatic hydrocarbons.

White spirit is used as an extraction solvent, as a cleaning solvent, as a degreasing solvent and as a solvent in aerosols, paints, wood preservatives, lacquers, varnishes, and asphalt products. In western Europe about 60% of the total white spirit consumption is used in paints, lacquers and varnishes. White spirit is the most widely used solvent in the paint industry. In households, white spirit is commonly used to clean paint brushes after decorating. Its paint thinning properties enable brushes to be properly cleaned (by preventing the paint from hardening and ruining the bristles) and therefore enabling them to be re-used.

Three different types and three different grades of white spirit exist. The type refers to whether the solvent has been subjected to hydrodesulfurization (removal of sulfur) alone (type 1), solvent extraction (type 2) or hydrogenation (type 3). Each type comprises three different grades: low flash grade, regular grade, and high flash grade. The grade is determined by the crude oil used as the starting material and the conditions of distillation