Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 08:38 AM

Default Yukon/alaska trip

Decided to take my 2 oldest (11-13)on a road trip this summer.....leaving from cowtown mid july until we get back....(4 weeks max). Any suggestions of fishing along the way would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Paul
Old 05-09-2017, 01:07 PM

Pretty much all the creeks have grayling in them, and pretty much all the lakes have pike in them. Me and my wife had unlimited time when we went up there and as a result I lost all track of the time of day, the day of the week, and even where I was most of the time, for about 2-3 months I think? It was just a wonderful blur of sleeping, eating, fishing, and driving... which makes it hard for me to give out any detailed advice.

Probably the top 3 fishing memories that stand out... and that I can actually put a name to... Pink Salmon off the shore in Valdez AK harbor, exceptional grayling fishing in the creek that runs by Cooks River Lodge in Yukon... pretty much just a run down gas station a few hours from the AK border. And great pike fishing in Tachun lake, between Whitehorse and Dawson. Beyond that, like I said... its all just a wonderful blur. Although the fishing is excellent don't forget to enjoy the rest of the trip, I caught hundreds of fish on that trip and filled a whole photo album with pictures, and I only bothered to take about 5 pictures of fish... that's how great the rest of the experience was.

Last edited by Bushleague; 05-09-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

Jeez, they have pretty big Whitefish up there... Never seen one jump like that, either!
Old 05-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Jeez, they have pretty big Whitefish up there... Never seen one jump like that, either!
I have a similar picture taken at about 4 AM... after about 3 growlers of Yukon Beer... minus the swimming trunks... figured I'd spare you guys that one though The semi-gloom of the Yukon midnight sun really makes the... uhhh... "pale moon" stand out!
Old 05-09-2017, 03:26 PM

Mr. Lahey, what are you doin jumping in the water??
Old 05-09-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
Mr. Lahey, what are you doin jumping in the water??
I see his hair piece flew off just after launching.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:13 PM

The Dempster Road is an incredible place to fish for Grayling. Especially in Tombstone park if you get off the main road a bit.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Alaska/Yukon road trip

At "minimum", you need 4 weeks, preferably 6 weeks for a road trip to AK. You're going to need to sit down every night in front of the computer and spend untold hours trying to limit what there is to see & do on that trip.

I brought along my log book, PPL & it's FAA equivalent & was able to rent a Cessna 172 in Whitehorse, Valdez & Anchorage to help see the sights on the other side of the mountain ranges. Unbelievable scenery that isn't available to those that drive. Give some thought to taking the Inside Passage (Prince Rupert-Haines/Skagway or vice versa) either on the way there or on the way back.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:16 PM

I would have loved to explore some lakes between Johnsons Crossing and Ross River along the canol trail. We saw very little traffic and some pristine lakes when we rode thru. The road is gravel all the way. Sign will probably say 'Not a regularly maintained road'. Gradermen dont bother to take down the sign in the summer months.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57charlie View Post
At "minimum", you need 4 weeks, preferably 6 weeks for a road trip to AK. You're going to need to sit down every night in front of the computer and spend untold hours trying to limit what there is to see & do on that trip.

I brought along my log book, PPL & it's FAA equivalent & was able to rent a Cessna 172 in Whitehorse, Valdez & Anchorage to help see the sights on the other side of the mountain ranges. Unbelievable scenery that isn't available to those that drive. Give some thought to taking the Inside Passage (Prince Rupert-Haines/Skagway or vice versa) either on the way there or on the way back.
I think with 4 weeks your not going to see the Yukon. But that doesn't mean you cant experience it, unless your too busy running around like a madman trying to see everything. Pretty much the only way to screw up a Yukon trip is to make things rushed.

My recommendation would be to forget about going to Alaska, try to make it to the Yukon in 2-3 days, figure out a few lakes you want to fish and a point that you want to get to, leave yourself plenty of time in between to explore and stay flexible on all your goals, hit the Liard hot springs on the way back. IMO you could probably make it to Whitehorse and still have plenty of fun in 4 weeks, of course White Horse is just another city and not making it there will give you more time to have fun.

Last edited by Bushleague; 05-11-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:15 AM

Liard Hot Springs is a MUST.

Approx 700km's south of Whitehorse.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:45 AM

Muncho Lake will have Lake Trout. Dollys in the Liard River. As mentioned basically every stream will have grayling.

I worked on the Alaska HWY re-alignments in BC and the Yukon over several summers in the 90's thru to 2004 and we fished almost every night after work. It was great.

Enjoy your trip !!