Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Default Time for ice augers soon.

It's getting down to the low single digits some nights. (north of grande prairie)
Time to start shopping for a gas - power ice auger.

Looking for suggestions on makes and models.
Thanx in advance,
Ken
Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 PM

Check out the Jiffy Stealth, very good auger...I've had mine for about 4 years now and its been great!
Any Jiffy product is good, try to stay away from strikemaster (too many plastic parts)
Old 09-07-2009, 12:08 AM

It's going to be a human powered auger for me this year

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-07-2009, 07:03 AM

I bought an auger 4 years ago and did a lot of research on forums and customer reviews. All major brands had good reviews but eskimo seemed to be the best as long as you stay away from the stingray as it is underpowered. At the time the only negative review I could find still gave it 4 out of five. He had bought one that wouldn't start and contacted Adisam customer service and they sent him a new power head within three days. With the lack of negative reviews, customer service, lower price and fact that the auger is 42" as opposed to 36" on the jiffys, I went with the mako 10". It uses a chainsaw style engine with a higher rpm and gear ratio so is light but still will punch through over three feet of ice with no problem. It always starts on the first pull. As I said at the begining though, all makes seem to be fairly good so it really comes down to what you like.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 AM

I used a 3.5HP Jiffy for quite a few years and had a hell of a time with it. Last year I bought a Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express and won't ever use anything else. The Lazer Mag uses shaving blades instead of rippers, and the speed and ease of cutting is incredible. The only downside is that the blades won't cut at all if they get dinged up, but that only happens if you hit them with a spoon trying to chip ice off.

If you stay with the 2HP models the engines are pretty much the same as the Jiffy.

Jiffy does much better marketing, but I like the Strikemasters myself. The plastic argument is exactly the same as the one around Tikka magazines.

I've never seen a two stroke engine start on the first pull in really cold weather, but I've always been able to get my auger going. One day at Newell last year I had to drill a Jiffy guy's holes because the damn thing just wouldn't go. Could be poor maintenance or whatnot too I guess.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Saw this the other day... hope I'm not stepping on any toes

http://fishinalberta.setbb.com/buy-a...uger-t518.html
Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Saw this the other day... hope I'm not stepping on any toes

http://fishinalberta.setbb.com/buy-a...uger-t518.html
That auger also came and went through the Buy & Sell forum on here

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
That auger also came and went through the Buy & Sell forum on here
My bad - didn't see it here.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:24 PM

I fired up the Jiffy the other day and I got my new Marcun LX-5 flasher ready to go. Gonna be a great year! Not ready to put the boat away Just yet though.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 PM

Over 15 years on a 3hp Jiffy and it still runs strong,not a problem with it ever!!!
Seems like some of the newer ones are a bit harder startin and finnicky from what I've seen on the ice......
Old 09-08-2009, 01:28 AM

Dont even start to think this Deer huntin comes first . Last year I was fishin open water on November 5th or something it was , it was bloody cold but I did it .
Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Ice!

Please don't talk about ice! There's got to ba another couple months of soft water fishing before we should have to think about the hard water variety.
I hope so anyways! Its just not the same for me, but its a long time till spring when things do freeze over, so it beats not fishing at all.