Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM

I have been faced with a similar situation in the past. I find it best to say something non confrontational like "hey, you know you are not allowed bait in here", "be careful you don't get pinched by the fish cops". That way they have been told.

In some cases the guys thank you and comply. Sometimes people just don't read the regs. I know it's not an excuse, but it happens all the time.

In other cases, where they don't care, and now are aware of the law, and choose to continue breaking the law, you are forced to either escalate it yourself (which is not a great option) or snap a picture of his gear and his licence plate. Then call the fish cops.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Just a theory...

If all of us simply confront rule breakers and never report them, how will the government quantify the problem of lack of resources?
Not calling in infractions projects the image that everything is ok with the system and level of resources.

Simply said. Call it in.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 AM

i remember hearing a story on tv about regular people being able to ticket ofenders. i think qubec or newfoundland. i think they had to do a course or something. prety sure it was to protect atlantic salmon. cant remember the whole thing maybe some one here can help me out with the real facts on it. maybe that is what we need. kinda like street watch or block patrol. as far as confronting poachers i always tell them what i think. if they want to fight about it i have no problem fighting for what i belive in. if it means i get a black eye whatever, that means they turnd a poaching ticket into a assult charge.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Every situation has a special case....

A person running a few extra lines when ice fishing to me is not that harmful it just means they may catch their limit faster and be gone sooner!... Now if they are running bait in non-bait waters, or blatantly breaking laws that are implemented to facilitate sustainability then I phone, or mention something
The problem with this is that they might not have limited out with their two lines. This is why our fish populations have been going downhill in this province.. You dont want people to limit out and be gone sooner because they will just go to another lake and limit out there with their extra lines. Definitly call RAP. Especially if they are jerks to you. Im not against confronting them but if thats how they treat you "Report a Poacher"! Take a photo and get thier licence plate.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM

I think if everyone phoned in every infraction they see, F&W would be spread more thin than they already are and any response time would be increased so much that it would be ineffective. The people would be long gone.

If there is any alcohol or dope involved, I wouldn't waste my time. The chances of confrontation increase tenfold. These situations are better left to the authorities to deal with.

Sometimes people just don't know any better and may actually appreciate being made aware of what they may be doing wrong. When I see someone changing their methods so that they are within the law, chances are that I would even share fishing tips with them so that they do catch fish without having to break any regulations.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one shot View Post
i remember hearing a story on tv about regular people being able to ticket ofenders. i think qubec or newfoundland. i think they had to do a course or something. prety sure it was to protect atlantic salmon. cant remember the whole thing maybe some one here can help me out with the real facts on it. maybe that is what we need. kinda like street watch or block patrol. as far as confronting poachers i always tell them what i think. if they want to fight about it i have no problem fighting for what i belive in. if it means i get a black eye whatever, that means they turnd a poaching ticket into a assult charge.

I have not heard anything about what you are referring to, but I think that the concept of private citizens issuing tickets for infractions is one of the worst ideas I have heard of, and should never be entertained by any province or area.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I have not heard anything about what you are referring to, but I think that the concept of private citizens issuing tickets for infractions is one of the worst ideas I have heard of, and should never be entertained by any province or area.
i was wrong on the ticket part, a friend is trying to get the story for me. they sign up and take a course of some kind. all they do is ask for licence and write it all down then send to F&W. kind of o joke i gusse being the same as reporting your self and taking a picture. my bad!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:34 PM

I saw a guy with 5 cuttys on a string gutted and floating in the Livingston River. I explained to him that it was a catch and release river and he said he was "teaching his young boy how to fish and that they would not keep anymore". I left it at that, and to this day I am still pi--ed that I never call F&W.

So after incident I made a pledge to my self that I would report everyone I see poaching our fish.

I love fishing and work hard to make sure every fish I release is revived and lives on to be caught another day. I expect others to do the same thing!!

So I guess the moral of the story is don't let me catch you poaching!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I think if everyone phoned in every infraction they see, F&W would be spread more thin than they already are and any response time would be increased so much that it would be ineffective. The people would be long gone. .

so not informing them there is an infraction is effective?

it's not your call to prioritize fish and wild life's work to what is important and not important. Especially if you do not have all the information. If you see a guy for example using too many lines he may have other infractions, no license, barbed hooks, fish he caught earlier you didn't see, perhaps an outstanding warrant. let them make a more informed decision.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Banned

Default "ethics" is not a discussion about foreign nationals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolf View Post
...I made a pledge to my self that I would report everyone I see poaching our fish.

I love fishing and work hard to make sure every fish I release is revived and lives on to be caught another day. I expect others to do the same thing!!

So I guess the moral of the story is don't let me catch you poaching!
Me too!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:48 PM

OMG! And sheep hunting threads get made fun of.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
so not informing them there is an infraction is effective?

it's not your call to prioritize fish and wild life's work to what is important and not important. Especially if you do not have all the information. If you see a guy for example using too many lines he may have other infractions, no license, barbed hooks, fish he caught earlier you didn't see, perhaps an outstanding warrant. let them make a more informed decision.
I wasn't advocating not informing F&W. You should read the entire post before picking out 1 part and twisting it to mean something totally different than what was intended.

A case of somebody using barbs that may have simply forgotten to remove them is totally different from witnessing someone dumping toxic chemicals into the water. Simply pointing out to a person that barbed hooks are not allowed and they realize their oversight, and correct it, shouldn't require that a call be made. Witnessing something like chemicals being dumped should warrant that an immediate call be made.

There are a limited number of F&W officers and they can handle only so many calls. I would prefer that they are not overloaded with minor calls that could possibly be handled with a kind remark by the person witnessing the problem and would therefor be able to respond quickly to a serious incident.

To say the same thing differently, how about if everyone carried a pencil and notepad whenever they were driving. Write down the licence plate of every vehicle that they see not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, not signalling on a lane change, snow on the license plate, frosted windows, dashlights not working at night time, going over the speed limit and so on and so on. Then go to the nearest police station and stand in line behind all the other people with notepads and make your report. How much time would the police have to actually do their job and spend time on more serious infractions?

As I said in the part that you should have also quoted, "Sometimes people just don't know any better and may actually appreciate being made aware of what they may be doing wrong." That simple act alone would help free up F&W.

Feel free to quote again, but don't take 1 or 2 sentences and twist them to mean something totally different than what was intended.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one shot View Post
i was wrong on the ticket part, a friend is trying to get the story for me. they sign up and take a course of some kind. all they do is ask for licence and write it all down then send to F&W. kind of o joke i gusse being the same as reporting your self and taking a picture. my bad!
Not a problem. The first thing that crossed my mind was somebody with an overzealous, crime fighting attitude.

You get the wrong person giving the wrong approach and that could cause more problems than what a program like that would be worth.

I can only imagine the wrong person approaching somebody during hunting season and coming on too strong.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Bee guy...yes your right your always right . Your the greatest Bio in the world and the mostest smartest guy we all have ever met. Your like the GN species, much greater than the 2n or 3n. G standing for Great.

If you dont understand why its important that a suspects history is looked up.......well then i understand how sweet talk will free the world of all criminals.

Ive got better things to do than argue with you. Good talking to you.
Your wasting your time Chub, poaching........and defending poaching, are really one in the same. Once an angler or hunter has decided that some levels of poaching are acceptable, and feel it is neccesary to defend their poaching, they have really already decided that any and all levels are acceptable. Poaching is really about respecting the fisheries and wildlife, you either do or you don't.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 PM

Generally if I see someone breaking a law, I'll talk to them. The main reason is that if I were doing something illegal and didn't know any better, I'd very much appreciate it if someone said something to me before calling the cops... You can usually tell right away if they were just ignoring the laws or weren't aware of them. If they were willfully poaching, well, that's why RAP is saved in my cell.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I wasn't advocating not informing F&W. You should read the entire post before picking out 1 part and twisting it to mean something totally different than what was intended.

A case of somebody using barbs that may have simply forgotten to remove them is totally different from witnessing someone dumping toxic chemicals into the water. Simply pointing out to a person that barbed hooks are not allowed and they realize their oversight, and correct it, shouldn't require that a call be made. Witnessing something like chemicals being dumped should warrant that an immediate call be made.

There are a limited number of F&W officers and they can handle only so many calls. I would prefer that they are not overloaded with minor calls that could possibly be handled with a kind remark by the person witnessing the problem and would therefor be able to respond quickly to a serious incident.

To say the same thing differently, how about if everyone carried a pencil and notepad whenever they were driving. Write down the licence plate of every vehicle that they see not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, not signalling on a lane change, snow on the license plate, frosted windows, dashlights not working at night time, going over the speed limit and so on and so on. Then go to the nearest police station and stand in line behind all the other people with notepads and make your report. How much time would the police have to actually do their job and spend time on more serious infractions?

As I said in the part that you should have also quoted, "Sometimes people just don't know any better and may actually appreciate being made aware of what they may be doing wrong." That simple act alone would help free up F&W.

Feel free to quote again, but don't take 1 or 2 sentences and twist them to mean something totally different than what was intended.
I didnt twist anything. The point I was making is you should not be the one that prioritizes their calls. What if the guy is using barbed hooks and has been caught 5 times previously? In your example of the chemical spill... if they are out checking licenses or looking after "minor infractions" and then a chemical spill is reported what do you think they do? My guess is they will quickly wrap up what they are doing and attend the chemical spill. (atleast I hope they would)

Same would apply for regular law enforcement. When leduc county RCMP are pulling over speeders on the QE2, if they get a call that is more serious in nature that requires their resources they move on.

Your point about reporting every infraction that motorists make is correct. Nobody reports those things anymore. Does that make them legal? If nobody ever get's ticketed for having a frosted over windshield or dirty licence plate why even have the law? They do ticket those offences every once and a while but based on your theory they should ignore them and be out preventing homicides.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned

Cool

out happly fishing away on birch this sunday,gave a few spots a try.finaly decided to use the info passed on to me by a local, so me and my friend drive over near as we figure to the spot.soon arriving we notice 2 lines down hole looking around we see a quad coming over.the fellow starts checking lines, my friend informs the fellow his lines should be within a reasonable distance from his person. the fellow laughs and rides off to check yet more lines further away from his from his truck.so not wanting to be associated with the illegal lines we move and watch, he and his missus are fishing at least 3 lines each sperad all over the lake.so RAP is phoned,what happens nothing they dont have any one close bye.so please tell me how does not engaging this type of fellow help any one.he fished illegally for the 4 hours we were on the lake and was still doing so when we left.I was enraged but thought better off not to start a confrontation given all the flack received over confronting poachers on this thread.I personally feel ashamed that I let an other flaunt the rules that we are all expected to follow. this will not happen again. this is an example of how lacking of respect some anglers really are. birch is a trophy lake. and should be treated as such.from now on I will engage,confront,and if push comes to shove I will push back, some one needs to stand up for the fish and the rules that we we are all expected to play bye.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
out happly fishing away on birch this sunday,gave a few spots a try.finaly decided to use the info passed on to me by a local, so me and my friend drive over near as we figure to the spot.soon arriving we notice 2 lines down hole looking around we see a quad coming over.the fellow starts checking lines, my friend informs the fellow his lines should be within a reasonable distance from his person. the fellow laughs and rides off to check yet more lines further away from his from his truck.so not wanting to be associated with the illegal lines we move and watch, he and his missus are fishing at least 3 lines each sperad all over the lake.so RAP is phoned,what happens nothing they dont have any one close bye.so please tell me how does not engaging this type of fellow help any one.he fished illegally for the 4 hours we were on the lake and was still doing so when we left.I was enraged but thought better off not to start a confrontation given all the flack received over confronting poachers on this thread.I personally feel ashamed that I let an other flaunt the rules that we are all expected to follow. this will not happen again. this is an example of how lacking of respect some anglers really are. birch is a trophy lake. and should be treated as such.from now on I will engage,confront,and if push comes to shove I will push back, some one needs to stand up for the fish and the rules that we we are all expected to play bye.
you did everything right. you made the call which is documented by the resources. Plate numbers were hopefully recorded and entered into the system. Yes they got away today but they will be back and if will catch up to them.

My question is what were you going to do about it?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

Cool

my first intent would be to pull the unattended lines. im not talking 50-100 yards more like 500 with more lines even further away.if we had not noticed these lines and fins and skins showed up we would have became the fall guys.B/S any way you slice it the fellow was not ignorant in any way,thankfully or I would have lost my cool.but I cannot sit and do nothing when others flaunt the law.I dont need an assault charge any more than the next guy but I felt that calling RAP was a bit like a monty python policeman, stop or I will say stop again.how can fisherys enforce an unattended line a k away he say its not his his word against ours.very frustrated by the situation.back out to birch next weekend call RAP again if needed bring more witnesses I guess
Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
my first intent would be to pull the unattended lines. im not talking 50-100 yards more like 500 with more lines even further away.if we had not noticed these lines and fins and skins showed up we would have became the fall guys.B/S any way you slice it the fellow was not ignorant in any way,thankfully or I would have lost my cool.but I cannot sit and do nothing when others flaunt the law.I dont need an assault charge any more than the next guy but I felt that calling RAP was a bit like a monty python policeman, stop or I will say stop again.how can fisherys enforce an unattended line a k away he say its not his his word against ours.very frustrated by the situation.back out to birch next weekend call RAP again if needed bring more witnesses I guess
Would have pulling the lines stopped him from poaching again?

We can only speculate but probably not... Just my thought but ultimately same results as calling the authorities. The only difference is when he came to check on the lines he would be upset that someone pulled them. He would look around and potentially take it out on whoever he thought was responsible.