Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2008, 10:58 PM

Default are the fish dead in eagle lake.

Hay folks any body catch any thing in here. man she,s a tough go lately.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 AM

It's always a tough go there and always will be. It fishes the same as it did 30 years ago ssslllooowww.
Dodger.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:35 AM

Last week I read of a guy who caught a 24' eye, but he didn't mention any others. I heard from a guy who got skunked the same day, so your not alone.

To be honest, I can't believe theres fish in it at all. I was told a decade ago that it was dead and you cant launch a boat there. Too bad I didn't ask anyone else till recently, cause I've missed out.

I've fished earlier this month, and it was tough. The water was super clear, and such little weeds. Al Linder told me, lol, that the eyes will stay thick in the weeds when the water is clear after spawn. Only once the water murks up, will they venture out to mid lake structures and drop offs. The pike are all crusing the flats, eating anything. I'm sure the eye's know its better to stay hidden till the weeds pollinate and run-off ends.

If you know where they spawn at Eagle, fish the adjacent flats, right next to the weed edge, if not in the weeds. I would guess that slow, <1 mph, is what they'll like the most. It might be so shallow that 'structure' is meaningless, I dunno.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:42 PM

Default Eagle Lake

Lets see if I got this straight , you want to drive 30 miles from a major

centre , pay $12.00 or more to launch your boat ( actually let it fall

off the trailer , then walk out far enough pulling the boat so you can put the motor down )

and after this heat there will enough pond scum to walk on.

And you want fish to..... well good luck....
Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 AM

Yeah, I was the guy who was out with a buddy 'who' caught the 24" eye. It was a really nice fish. This is the second six pounder that I've personally seen caught at Eagle.

To be honest, I was rather surprised at how slow it was at Eagle. I fished it four years ago for the first time and that was a 32 fish day with 17 of them being walleye. I remember watching a couple of kids catch 2 or 3 hammer handles off the dock before I even had my boat in the water ! The fishing seems to have slowed every year since then...

While we were out there recently, I noticed that the weed beds were FAR larger than I remembered previously. It wasn't so much that they were poking out of the water as such but it was the sheer 'expanse' and volume of the weeds..., Brutal......

Either way, the fishing was pretty bad (3 in total I think...) and I was somewhat concerned about the 'lack of pike'. I didn't mark a 'single fish' from the launch to the dam and I thought that to be a little strange, especially seeing as how most of that bottom all the way to the west point is easily readable.

I might have to try it again......

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Default Eagle walleyes

Hey FC.... Just out of curiosity where do you launch ,

I am just reporting on a scene I watched a couple of years ago

when I went in to see how much the launch was ....

I know some guys who use to fish there , and really caught a lot of fish . The guy at the campground office told me they had really suffered from low water for a few years ...that can be a killer .... weed beds will
expand ....
Old 07-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Hey FC.... Just out of curiosity where do you launch ,

I am just reporting on a scene I watched a couple of years ago

when I went in to see how much the launch was ....

I know some guys who use to fish there , and really caught a lot of fish . The guy at the campground office told me they had really suffered from low water for a few years ...that can be a killer .... weed beds will
expand ....

Well, we normally launched at the campground with the 12' aluminum. After all, it's only 8 to 10 bucks and the fishing was pretty good come late spring. I was able to get my 16' LOWE in the water just over a week ago with no 4x4 and I could easily start the engine half way down with the prop in the water and cruise out.

You used to be able to launch at the North end of the lake (and maybe you still can...) but mostly I didn't feel like walking through the slew in order to get the boat in the water. Not to mention that the sheer volume of those damn 'freshwater shrimp' freak me out a bit !

Seeing as how the deepest hole in that lake is around 18 foot and the middle about 12 to 15', I doubt very much that lake will rebound quickly if it has winter-killed or suffered some kind of setback. I'm going to try it again soon and hit the middle with some 6' to 9' cranks and see what happens. I'll certainly be watching the fish finder very carefully cause' last time that screen was showing 'NADA'...

Cheers,

/FC...