Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 PM

Default Arctic Grayling?

The quarry here in Canmore has stocked Graylings and my friend has even seen them approach shore in numbers. I have never caught one of these before and was just wondering what time of day and best lure/bait to use for them from someone who has caught them.

Ive lived here for 2 years now so its about time I try a few new fishing spots lol, I have a good one near spray but catching my first grayling is worth the detour. Any help is appreciated ty.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Artic Grayling

This quarry is strictly a C&R, which is great-catch em again. These fellas go for the small spinners like "Panther martins". and will go for many small fly patterns also. They are small mouthed so I would keep to the med. to small lures. Good luck, I hope to try there in the near future also. Deep
Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 PM

This time of year, try small, dark nymphs or Prince Nymphs on a sinking tip line, retrieved just above the marl/weeds with short, erratic jerks.

I'm not sure where "here" is- " Ive lived here for 2 years now ", but if you live in Canmore, and you notice an evening when the ants are flying - scoot up to Quarry with some small flying ant patterns. The grayling love to pick them off the surface.

No need for a float tube there, there's plenty of places where it drops off deep within casting distance of shore.

Here's a Quarry Lake Grayling in spawning colours from last month: