Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 02:07 PM

Default Ice Auger Brands?

So I'm thinking about getting a gas powered ice auger for this season. I don't know much about them but the brand names and prices seem to be all over the map. Is there a common feel for which brands are better than others? I see a lot of Jiffy, Eskimo, etc. Any common things to look out for when buying? Just looking for some info so I can compare apples to apples.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:59 PM

I would never ever buy a gas powered auger again, but I did have a Eskimo gas auger for 24 years and I never even replaced the pull start rope. From what I understand now is that they are mostly made of plastic and don’t hold up well in the cold. Go electric
Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 PM

An electric auger would be sweet. My friend has an Ion and loves it - unfortunately they're going to be out of my price range brand new.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:34 PM

I don't own a power augur either, although it's on my list of kit to acquire one day. I've heard good things about the augers that come with the Honda engines, I think they are Jiffy units.

One thing I've noticed over the last couple of seasons is that some of the retailers have pretty good "Black Friday" sales in November, and I've seen some of the lowest prices on ice fishing gear on those sales.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:42 PM

No complaints about my Eskimo, and despite what people say on here, the differences between an Eskimo and a Jiffy really aren't that noticeable. It's no different than Ford vs Chevy. People have their preferences, but one isn't vastly superior over the other. If there was a vastly superior unit, it would massively outsell the other. This hasn't occurred.

What's more important to consider are your engine size and diameter needs. What are you fishing for? How thick is the ice?

Last edited by pinelakeperch; 09-20-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 PM

I picked up an Eskimo P1 Rocket this last year. After reading up a bit on it, i was convinced that propane was the way to go. Haven't even had it one full season yet so my experience is limited, but so far so good. Lots of power, no regrets going with propane over gas or electric.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:46 PM

Strikemaster makes a good auger as well. I have a Mag 2000 that is probably 20 years old and still going strong.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-20-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
I picked up an Eskimo P1 Rocket this last year. After reading up a bit on it, i was convinced that propane was the way to go. Haven't even had it one full season yet so my experience is limited, but so far so good. Lots of power, no regrets going with propane over gas or electric.
I also picked up the P1 rocket 10" auger last year and am very happy with it. Only problem is I also got an 18" extension and it just barely fits in my shack... I should have bought the 12" extension instead. Anyone want to trade extensions?
Old 09-20-2018, 05:08 PM

I prefer the chipper style of blades found on jiffy . Last i checked jiffy was running tecumsi engines .
Old 09-20-2018, 05:28 PM

If you can afford an Ion electric, get it. But they're super pricey. We got a STELLAR deal on a clearance Jiffy Pro 4 propane auger a couple years ago at Canadian Tire. Regularly $700 and we got it for $275, I believe. It runs like a dream for us on those 1L propane cylanders. Can't recommend them enough...
Old 09-20-2018, 05:29 PM

I have been through a few augers of various brands and have had various issues with all of em over the past 20 odd years....so after one trip, 3hours out of town and having my auger crap out I said enough is enough and bought a Sthil. All issues solved once and for all! Never had an issues since, and if I do Sthil is serviced ever where ( if I decide to ice fish in Serbia...I can get parts!)
Ya....its a bunch of dollars to buy, but if I had bought a Sthil from the beginning I would of saved a bunch more over the years! The thing I love most is how fast it cuts without throwing ice and water everywhere..it piles it nicely beside the hole while just powering down through the ice with a crap load of torque! And if you want to drill post holes in the ground, heck you can do that as well!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I prefer the chipper style of blades found on jiffy . Last i checked jiffy was running tecumsi engines .
I had my Jiffy for 20 years and must have drilled hundred's of holes. I had the 3 HP with a 8 inch auger w/extension. When I bought mine they were $149.99 with the choice of 8 inch or 10 inch auger. I bought mine at an outdoor store in Preeceville sask.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 PM

You abviously havent checked in a long time. Tecumseh went out of business many years ago. Those go at a premium as the new ones are not even close. If you have one to sell you can pretty much name your price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Old 09-20-2018, 06:32 PM

Electric is the going thing or on a drill. I am still a gas guy and own an old style classic Jiffy and newer Eskimo. Like them both and they are totally different on engine, speed, torque, blades etc.As someone mentioned its like asking who makes the best pickup. Saying that my next one will probably be on a drill or Ion style. Id you dont run & gun or prefer the no mix no gas method I would consider the extra dollars. And when you get old like me the lighter electrics are way better when you cannot drive on tte water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Caddy View Post
So I'm thinking about getting a gas powered ice auger for this season. I don't know much about them but the brand names and prices seem to be all over the map. Is there a common feel for which brands are better than others? I see a lot of Jiffy, Eskimo, etc.

Any common things to look out for when buying? Just looking for some info so I can compare apples to apples.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:47 AM

I have a Eskimo Stingray 8 inch gas auger. Inexpensive to buy and run the premixed 50:1 2 stroke gas from Aspen or Trufuel in it. Never an issue and never has the 8 inch hole affected my fishing. 33 cc engine drilled thru the thick ice of last year no problem.

As others have said, it is a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge discussion.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:43 AM

I've had Strikemaster, Jiffy and Eskimo. Was not impressed with Eskimo, poor assembly and customer service. Strikemaster was good. My current auger is a Jiffy, the new Jiffy's have too much plastic. My starter pull cord assembly broke on the first trip. I replaced it with a metal one and now I have no problems with it.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:16 PM

I was thinking about electric myself for my next purchase. They are pricy...
I was not impressed with the Ion and a 10 inch bit - just from seeing youtube vids so no real experience. But the StrikeMaster Lithium 10inch seems to cut much better than the Ion which really, really struggled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PeZ2jc2_kM

Anybody have or ever tried the StikeMaster Lithium?
Old 09-21-2018, 05:22 PM

Ion is the benchmark and has been pretty good. Remember 10 in holes are are cutting around 4% more ice tham 8 so will use more juice. I know when I sold them we did a few special orders for 10 and guys said it really hurt the power. Also remember the Eskimo machines which these are part of do cut slower. My gas is the same vs Jiffys.

If you search Auger Wars on Youtube there are some good ones and they are using 24 inches of ice which is more realistic than 10 in your link. Strikemaster does cut very well their gas too. Just not a lot of presence around here compared to the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I was not impressed with the Ion and a 10 inch bit - just from seeing youtube vids so no real experience. But the StrikeMaster Lithium 10inch seems to cut much better than the Ion which really, really struggled:

Old 09-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Ion is the benchmark and has been pretty good. Remember 10 in holes are are cutting around 4% more ice tham 8 so will use more juice. I know when I sold them we did a few special orders for 10 and guys said it really hurt the power. Also remember the Eskimo machines which these are part of do cut slower. My gas is the same vs Jiffys.

If you search Auger Wars on Youtube there are some good ones and they are using 24 inches of ice which is more realistic than 10 in your link. Strikemaster does cut very well their gas too. Just not a lot of presence around here compared to the others.
Actually a 10in auger cuts about 50% more ice than an 8in.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Yep, watched some. And that 8 inch SM proves it as well. I would like to see 10 inch ion against 10 inch Strikemaster...if ion lost that bad on the 8 inch.... Its 10 inch demo looked rather pathetic compared to its 8.

And no 8 for me. I've been using 10 for years and would never go back to an 8.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

I have one and I must say I was sceptical about going electric but I have screwed up shoulders and the torque of the gas hurt to much so I tried the strikemaster Lithium and doubt that I will be going back to gas, works great
Old 09-21-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh View Post
I have one and I must say I was sceptical about going electric but I have screwed up shoulders and the torque of the gas hurt to much so I tried the strikemaster Lithium and doubt that I will be going back to gas, works great
Nice, Thanks!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:46 PM

I have owned a couple different brands of gas augers over the years. The complaint for me was dripping leaking gas and oil mix.

Had a Eskimo Z71 10" which would cut a hole so fast it practically pulled you down through it but with that huge motor on top, and all that torque, if she bound up you would get tossed like a rag doll. I'm a big, heavy brute so it didn't bother me much. Like Chuck Norris but without the silly moustache and mullet.

I bought the Eskimo propane a few years ago and am extremely pleased with it. Spin on a 1lb propane cylinder, flip the switch and one light pull and she is purring. Sure, she doesn't smoke out the neighbours to show them who's the boss, nor does she rag doll all of your little friends who try and wrestle her ....... but she cuts a fine hole.

She also doesn't stink, spill or become temperamental like my drunk uncle at a barvitzma.

She's a beaut.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
You abviously havent checked in a long time. Tecumseh went out of business many years ago. Those go at a premium as the new ones are not even close. If you have one to sell you can pretty much name your price.
I happen to have one. White Jiffy 30 with a 10” My great grandfather bought it 25 odd years ago and used it a handful of times, then ran into health problems. My great grandmother passed away 2 falls ago and I inherited his gear. Also got an Eskimo 8” with more miles on it. Both great augers as they don’t make them like that anymore. Actually thinking about putting them on the buy and sell and consolidating to an electric, but always hear how everyone says they are the best.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I have a Eskimo Stingray 8 inch gas auger. Inexpensive to buy and run the premixed 50:1 2 stroke gas from Aspen or Trufuel in it. Never an issue and never has the 8 inch hole affected my fishing. 33 cc engine drilled thru the thick ice of last year no problem.
X2....

I have the same auger; I am very happy with my Stingray as well....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:14 AM
Banned

I got an 8" Ion a couple years ago, pretty happy with it. I fish most of the time in the ice shack so the reverse feature is nice and no smoke or stink in the shack after drilling. I still have the old Jiffy (1997) which still works but doubt I will every use it, one of sons is going to take it back home with him.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:26 PM

Bought an 8” Rapala Nitro 43cc last winter on sale after my very old Jiffy packed it in. The Rapala runs awesome and cuts nice. No complaints.

I think it’s the same powerhead as the Eskimo 43cc and the Woods 43cc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2020, 01:46 PM

I will chime in on an old post, nothing but good to say about Strikemaster's customer service out of Bay Distributors in Ont! I have the Solo 3HP, after having issues with the fule line coming off the primer bulb and being a PITA to get started, I did some research and found out they had been sending the units out with the same type of fuel lines as you would use on your lawn mowers, weed wackers etc. Talked to George at Bay Distrbutors, sent him model/serial number, he sent me all new fuels lines for the power head (3 different lines total). Last year one blade on my auger shattered while drilling, not an overly cold day, or drilling shallow (9fow). Managed to still drill another 12 holes with only one blade! Sent pics of the pieces of the blade in to George, he sent me a brand new set of blades, used them for the rest of the year. This year I went to the same lake, same thing busted a blade! Have tried different scenarios of tightening down the blades but after sending in pics of the latest blade to George, they think there is something off on the angle of the flighting on that side, they are sending me new blades AND a new 10" auger flighting under warranty!
Yes the auger components failed (3 times), but I was prepared with tools to fix the fuel line, as well as back up blades. I just have not experienced that "no questions asked" customer service in a very long time and really appreciate it when it happens!
Old 01-07-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler3878 View Post
I will chime in on an old post, nothing but good to say about Strikemaster's customer service out of Bay Distributors in Ont! I have the Solo 3HP, after having issues with the fule line coming off the primer bulb and being a PITA to get started, I did some research and found out they had been sending the units out with the same type of fuel lines as you would use on your lawn mowers, weed wackers etc. Talked to George at Bay Distrbutors, sent him model/serial number, he sent me all new fuels lines for the power head (3 different lines total). Last year one blade on my auger shattered while drilling, not an overly cold day, or drilling shallow (9fow). Managed to still drill another 12 holes with only one blade! Sent pics of the pieces of the blade in to George, he sent me a brand new set of blades, used them for the rest of the year. This year I went to the same lake, same thing busted a blade! Have tried different scenarios of tightening down the blades but after sending in pics of the latest blade to George, they think there is something off on the angle of the flighting on that side, they are sending me new blades AND a new 10" auger flighting under warranty!
Yes the auger components failed (3 times), but I was prepared with tools to fix the fuel line, as well as back up blades. I just have not experienced that "no questions asked" customer service in a very long time and really appreciate it when it happens!
How old is your auger? I tried to get some parts through Bay distributors last year but for the basic parts I needed, the bill would have been more than a brand new auger.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:31 PM

Got it through safety points about 4 yrs ago I believe. Hopefully they step up as they have for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk