Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2012, 11:21 PM

Default whats the worst thing you've dropped in the lake

had a great day out at wabamun this past weekend. caught a bunch of nice pike but nothing to really brag about. the only damper on a great day was dropping my $50 multi tool in the lake. slipped from my hand while pinching a barb on my hook and bang off the side of the boat and straight into the great blue yonder. i had a good laugh with my girlfriend about it, well she laughed and i may have cursed something along the lines of this never would have happened in saskatchewan. just wondering whats your favorite or most expensive thing lost to the deep blue.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyangler View Post
had a great day out at wabamun this past weekend. caught a bunch of nice pike but nothing to really brag about. the only damper on a great day was dropping my $50 multi tool in the lake. slipped from my hand while pinching a barb on my hook and bang off the side of the boat and straight into the great blue yonder. i had a good laugh with my girlfriend about it, well she laughed and i may have cursed something along the lines of this never would have happened in saskatchewan. just wondering whats your favorite or most expensive thing lost to the deep blue.
Phones, toonies, loonies, pliers, but number one has to be phones.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Banned

A nice pair of Oakly sunglasses...leaned my head back and they flipped over my hat and overboard, and slowly sank into the abyss...
Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 AM

anchor, wasnt tied on,
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 AM

Anchors, phones would be my top 2, i still havnt understood that cell phones and lakes dont mix well. Anchors only came off when the knot wasn't good enough and i slipped out while on the bottom.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 AM

Been pretty lucky but just recently lost a net my father had given to me.. Still choked about that one haha..
Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 AM
Banned

1979. temp 90 farh. lake is glass. were sitting in the ski nautique having a cold one and a "smoke" while the parasail is sinking into the abyss of lake okanagon.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:27 AM

Last week lost my cellphone in the bilge of the boat and numerous needle nose pliers in the lake
Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 AM

My Blackberry in two feet of water. Got it back and paniced as I was going to have my kid phone to pick me up after fishing. Figured that out. Put it in a rice bag overnight and still works. Lost my games though.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 AM

my prop
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM

My Sister-in-law... but she dried out!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 AM

All while ice fishing

-a really expensive pocket knife
-camera
-tackle tray slipped out of my hand, opened after hitting the ice hole...dumping about $100 of lures to the bottom.
-jaw spreaders
-pliers

Open water

-camera
-pliers
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 AM

A huge northern pike in a fly-in and portage to lake in Saskatchewan....was for sure 50+ inch fish. Had it in the net.....then the treble on the crank got caught in the net.....fish thrashed and was dropped back in the lake....

LC
Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 AM

Not really dropped, but was on the seadoo, fell off, swallowed half the lake, came up spitting and coughing. Watched in utter disbelief as I spit out my false tooth and watched it slowly sink to the bottom of the lake. Thank goodness for dental plans, only had to pay $250 of the $2500 replacement bridge.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 AM

While sturgeon fishing on may long this year I was pushed into the fast freezing cold fraser form the boat. Phone in my pocket, oakleys on , all that survived was my hat. Phone kinda works after leaving it in a bag of rice for a week.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Dropped my eye glasses, actually they fell off my face. When you need glasses to see and drive, and your by yourself, it makes for an interesting reload of the boat and drive home. Spare pair in the truck now, and even a spare pair in the bottom of the tackle box.

BW
Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 AM

I didn't lose it but I pulled up a Berkley lip grip weigh tool from the bottom of Newell on my bottom bouncer last fall. That wouldnt been awesome except I thought i was hooked into a trophy walleye, and worse yet the thing is unusuable. So if yer missin the above item and wish to pick up lemme know. heheheh
Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Gone Hunting

lost my virginity in a lake, does that count?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 AM

lots of pliers, a couple phones and more lures than i can count.

my FIL dumped about 6 nice rapalas down the hole this past winter....using the auger, aquaview and a big five of diamonds we managed to recover them all though.

gotta love underwater cameras!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 AM

400$ pair of sunglasses, brothers fishing rod.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Not really dropped, but was on the seadoo, fell off, swallowed half the lake, came up spitting and coughing. Watched in utter disbelief as I spit out my false tooth and watched it slowly sink to the bottom of the lake. Thank goodness for dental plans, only had to pay $250 of the $2500 replacement bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
lost my virginity in a lake, does that count?
Well, I think we have a tie.

Won a really nice fillet knife at a dinner; too nice to use so it sat brand new in my kit. Buddies and I head to a little hike in lake to end the season one year and plan a shore lunch. I decide the knike needs to be blooded so I throw it in the side pocket of my float tube.

Long story short, I catch a nice sized brook trout and realize I have nothing to kill it with, then I remember the knife. Holding the sheath I use the handle to give the trout a smack, then another. Right about this time I think "I should be careful that it doesn't pop out of the sheath and.....

Despite a wood handle, that knife made its slow way to the bottom.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 AM

A buddy of mine fell into water out of other boat could not swim.... jumped in to rescue him as everyone else was standing with thumb up their butt while he was drowning in about 60 feet of water.... and ended up losing wallet out of pants pocket.... Not fun!.... just put in $2000 into it to buy a motorbike.... gone...

I gave him and others an earful about wearing life jackets before I found out I lost my wallet when I got back to truck and drove to pick up the bike...

I would have thought that maybe some offer to repay would have come my way... but nothing.... Of course we were all teens then.

SDO along same vein.... go out fishing with 5 buddies and one guy refuses to wear life jacket in a 14" car topper. Get checked by fish and feathers and buddy gets ticket for $100 something, then I get ticket $200 something as well for not enforcing people to wear life jacket and since it was not on board I got ticket for not carrying required boating equipment. I did not even know it was left on shore.... Again buddy never paid my ticket....

Lesson learned... payback was a mofo for him

So biggest thing I lost really was respect for my friends, and so whenever I take someone in my boat... I am a stickley so no more mr. nice guy either...he was lost too I guess!...

As for payback... One evening my buddy (W) borrowed his dad's ski boat and we were tto meet at 7:00pm. We show up and found out they left at 6:30... so we waited thinking we would be back. The buddy (S) who got the ticket was with them and as my buddy (D) and I waited we got board and noticed that buddy (S) hadleft his car (used BMW) parked on the dike. So we got into it and I took some wire and ran from coil through corner of door and hood and then around behind divers seat and then through seat and stripped off about 8" and wove it all into his beaded seat cushion...

at 10:00pm they come off of lake and I ask my Buddy (W) WTF... and he said well buddy (S) said you were not coming.... I see Buddy (S) smirking and think "You a...h..." He is towelling off and goes to his car to start it and I tell Buddy (W) what is about to happen.... and he starts laughing... Buddy S gets into his car... we see brake lights come on... then they start flashing then see him bouncing around in car... he ejects out of passenger side... rolls down dike ...gets up looking like he did not know whether to chit or go blind.... sneaks up to car opens passenger door peers in and then looks back when he hears us all laughing... From his perspective when he got the juice he looked down and all he saw was white sparks and thought that they were quills and that he had sat on a porcupine... He was mad and came at me to hit me and it was on... he was obviously a bit wobbly from the "tasing" so he got a few bony fives to the snot locker, lookers, chompers and chiclets...

I got back in my truck with my buddy D and we drove to town with a great big chit eating grins....

Story spread and spread humor throughout the community...
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Malinge Lake a case of beer/next year a lawn chair/anchor but i dove in and got, man thats one cold lake.. got a fishing rod i pulled out of lake next year same reel i losted on a new Lightning Rod as i was putting the down rigger on ..

buddy drop the filleting board with half a fish on

ice fishing ice scoop/chipping bar/lost glasses but fished out..

David
Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Great thread, I will have to get my wife to read this and maybe she will let me off the proverbial hook for my folly

Couple years back she brings a nice pike to the side of the boat. I lean over, unhook the fish in the water with my leatherman. Fish swims away, I sit up with my leather man in my right hand and her rapala in my left. As I am complimenting her on the nice pike I set the rap down on the seat and threw the leatherman over the side.............................................. ...
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Couple years back she brings a nice pike to the side of the boat. I lean over, unhook the fish in the water with my leatherman. Fish swims away, I sit up with my leather man in my right hand and her rapala in my left. As I am complimenting her on the nice pike I set the rap down on the seat and threw the leatherman over the side.............................................. ...
Win
Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 AM

Browning Composite Stalker, 300WM with a 3.5-10x50 Leupold Scope.

RD
Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Great thread, I will have to get my wife to read this and maybe she will let me off the proverbial hook for my folly

LMAO....this truly made me giggle

LC
Old 06-19-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
LMAO....this truly made me giggle

LC
Yup, not my finest moment. Worst part..............video camera caught part of it
Old 06-19-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Yup, not my finest moment. Worst part..............video camera caught part of it
I will EMT you 5 bucks to post that on here.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

ROFL I know that feeling. I've tossed a couple of lines in, rod, line and hook!
But not in a lake where they could possibly be retrieved. No I tossed them in the mighty Peace where no one will ever find them. Sigh!