Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 AM

Default Another DEAD trip out to Wab

What's with this lake? A year ago same spot same time hammering nice fish and lots. A year later it's dead. Another lake down the toilet !!????
Old 03-06-2015, 11:44 AM

i hope not lol im taking the niece and nephew to try ice fishing for the first time tomorrow
Old 03-06-2015, 11:54 AM

I think you need to find another spot on Wab, this year I have seen the biggest fish in my 3 years of ice fishing, 2 19 lbs, an 18lb and multiple 15's plus lots over 10lb.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:11 PM

Wab is far from dead, can't keep the jack off the spoon some days
Old 03-06-2015, 12:43 PM

I have been hitting Wab hard all week.Camera fishing has been good. Yesterday Pike White's and suckers all in view at the same time.
How ever the fish biting has been horrible? There's lots of fish down there but there not taking what I offered
Red Neck Out
Old 03-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Guys catch a few decent fish and they think they caught 25 fish and a 12 pounder they say is 20. Lots of that bs going on. If you type on here let's get some factual information. 4 hours in 1 ten pound jack. 7 lines out. I think most people agree it's dead in comparison to previous years
Old 03-06-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Guys catch a few decent fish and they think they caught 25 fish and a 12 pounder they say is 20. Lots of that bs going on. If you type on here let's get some factual information. 4 hours in 1 ten pound jack. 7 lines out. I think most people agree it's dead in comparison to previous years
In my experience this year I am still catching a ton of pike but it's tough to break the ten pound mark, other years it wasn't a problem catching into the teens and once and a while a 20 plus.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
In my experience this year I am still catching a ton of pike but it's tough to break the ten pound mark, other years it wasn't a problem catching into the teens and once and a while a 20 plus.
Totally agree. Catching lots, just no size.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Pressured catch and release lake fish get smart. Fish get caught a few times they smarten up. Time to refine and tighten up presentations. Will still have some good days when everything aligns just right but for the most part I'd guess the days of easy fish are over. Only the best will catch big fish regularly.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Banned

I agree the Size is down a touch but I tend to think your spot has changed and now sucks. ....I don't blame the fishery I blame the fisherman. I don't catch anything of decent size there anymore on tip ups... Times have changed old timer, you have to change too...
Old 03-06-2015, 02:56 PM

Have you tried moving?

I'm with the others who have been catching good numbers, just not the size we got a couple years ago.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-06-2015, 03:04 PM

Size matters
Old 03-06-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
So your "this lake is dead" comments are factual? I have been out there six times in my life (all this winter), caught at least 8 pike every trip, some trips well over a dozen pike landed. The size of fish may not be the same as before, but that lake is FAR from "dead"...
What lures/baits are you using?
Old 03-06-2015, 03:15 PM

Guess it's time to wait for the next strong year class. Wasn't gonna last forever......
Old 03-06-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
So your "this lake is dead" comments are factual? I have been out there six times in my life (all this winter), caught at least 8 pike every trip, some trips well over a dozen pike landed. The size of fish may not be the same as before, but that lake is FAR from "dead"...
What lures/baits are you using?
In my life. You been out this year ? My guess is no
Old 03-06-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
In my life. You been out this year ? My guess is no
I have only ever been there this year and caught pike each and every time. I never got to try this lake a few years ago when it was apparently much better but so far I am very pleased with Wabamun.

Here's my biggest of the winter so far, caught at Wabamun on Feb 21, just shy of 12 lbs, no monster by any stretch but I am not going to complain

This one was just under 11lbs, caught on Feb 7th.

I have had quite a few in the 8-9 lb range too. I'm not saying the lake is full of monsters, but it certainly isn't dead.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:21 PM

I've had pretty good luck at Wab, last two weekends it's been a lot slower for me. Got skunk once a group beside me said they fished for 6 hours with not one bite that same day. Bad area maybe...
Old 03-06-2015, 10:20 PM

they just dumped a ton of walleye in there need i say more ...i cant believe the lake gets the fishing pressure it does ...i havent seen or caught many big fish this year but the novelty of catching big fish in a catch n release lake has somewhat worn off for me anyways .. probly wont be back for awhile considering 90 percent of the fish i got last time were 10 inch walleye
Old 03-06-2015, 10:21 PM

sure hope this lake turns for the better but i gotta say this is the worst shape ive ever seen it
Old 03-08-2015, 10:20 AM

Saw some long and skinny cruisers caught a few pike biggest 5 lb and saw lots of whites ended catching 2 whites, cracks in ice were over 2 inches still drove on barely as the shore is up, couple guys hung up, probably be last time I drive on! Best action at sunrise.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:36 PM

I would suggest moving around. I've caught a 16,15 and 14.5lber the last two times out ( today was one of them), which isn't great but not bad pound wise.
I'm actually seeing people fish spots that i know have no fish. I've been fishing Wabamun a long time and know the lake pretty good.
The fish are barely taking the bait this year. Me and a friend went out 3 weeks ago and had over 50 flags but only 10 fish. Today the same situation.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:57 PM

Go to a different lake!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Size matters
So does accurate reporting.

The more you chirp about everything being dead, the less people are going to believe you.

You've become the "boy who cried wolf"...or I guess "the boy who cried IT'S DEAD!" as well as somewhat of a running joke on the forum.

You've lost all credibility many moons ago as far as I'm concerned.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-09-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
So does accurate reporting.
I have to agree, when someone comes here and claims every lake in the area is dead it's a little mis-leading for people that are seeking help.

I went out for 9 hours by myself on Saturday, landed 10 pike and missed probably 6 hits on my dead stick rod. They weren't too aggressive but I found the water was very murky compared to two weeks ago when I last went.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:01 AM

:No .... Safety D's right!!!! it is DEAD ...... SRD should impose a zero limit on all species at Wabamun immediately !!!!!! ..... er wait ......

This lake continues to be the best Pike fishery anywhere in that area of the province. The average size may be down, but the numbers are still outstanding compared to any other lake in the area.

To say it's dead is a fairy tale deserving of a SOLID GOLD stamp.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:12 AM

Spent about six hours out there on saturday, caught 3 small walleye, aggressive little buggers. Then the pike rolled in and caught about 6, nothing huge.

Best depth was about 8 feet on a sad bottom. We moved about six times before we even saw one.

Definitely had to work for it, the pike only seemed aggressive in spurts otherwise they would just eye our jig and minnow.

Majority where taken dead sticking. Would have been a disappointing day if we had stayed at our first location and tried waiting for them.

First time in a few years I didn't see a million dink perch swimming around so maybe the walleye are putting a end to them!!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Banned

Sometimes the fish just don't bite...
Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Pressured catch and release lake fish get smart. Fish get caught a few times they smarten up. Time to refine and tighten up presentations. Will still have some good days when everything aligns just right but for the most part I'd guess the days of easy fish are over. Only the best will catch big fish regularly.
So are guys seeing lots of 20 lb plus pike on their camera's?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
X2

Not saying I don't catch fish but I agree with you that waiting until it is truly dead before something is done in just pure folly. For Pete's sake look at the Atlantic cod fishery, they were catching large quantities all the while it was collapsing. Over 2 decades later, still not even close to a reasonable recovery. The time to do something is not when it's too late.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:37 PM

Good thing I wasn't taking a drink after reading Geez's reply. I might have choked or spewed like a fountain.

If anyone can find that animation of the dead horse being flogged, post it here please.....