Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 04:28 PM

I think the reality is fishing is about who you fish with not necessarily the fish you catch.

I hear you about bigger being better but for me the bigger picture is hanging with my boy.

To each their own but i reckon you just need a good fishing buddy to keep you going between salt water forays.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:43 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I think the reality is fishing is about who you fish with not necessarily the fish you catch.

I hear you about bigger being better but for me the bigger picture is hanging with my boy.

To each their own but i reckon you just need a good fishing buddy to keep you going between salt water forays.
Very nice reply, thank you for that.

Some of the best times I have ever had fishing was sitting on Waikiki pier waiting for the sun to come up. I met some amazing people there, the fishing was not stellar, but there are not a lot of views better on the planet.
I truly enjoy fishing with the boys, and hope to do so for many years to come. My son who has been on his own for a couple years now says he would love to go salt water fishing with me this next year, so really looking forward to that. I also have 2 tiny grandsons that I am anxiously waiting to take out.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-23-2017, 05:42 PM

Default I am not ready

I know how you feel. I have a sever addiction to bass fishing in southern B.C. I can't get enough of it. Think about it constantly when I can't be there. Trying to talk my wife into moving there, but she's not quite there yet. Definitely want to retire there. I've fished Alberta my whole life, and have all species but a golden trout. Nothing compares to smallmouth bass. Love, love, love largemouth too.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 09-23-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Misspelling.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Nobody else here is booked on saltwater fishing?
Yup....me ! Fished 112 days in the salt this summer (over120 if you count the Sea of Cortez). I haven't been on the water for a couple weeks now... startin to get the shakes ...lol
Old 09-24-2017, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nobody else here is booked on saltwater fishing?
Some checking it out. But not booked yet.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I admit only ice fishing for about 15 years, the first 10 were all over the place with a hand augar and maybe some days a tarp over my head. Later on I got a few tents and tried cameras, fishfinder, flashers. I got a shack on skis when my old fishing friend was unable to handle the cold and setup. He is the same one that got me into fly fishing and kept me in hunting.
When he left I just couldn't sit in the shack anymore looking at his empty seat thinking he was dead. Some will remember the story.
I didn't flyfish much, wasn't my thing. I enjoyed tying more than throwing, have long since gotten rid of all the fly tying stuff and most of the gear.
Fishing for me at this stage in my life is just as much about travelling the world and knocking all the species off my bucket list I can. I am not a c&r guy, I fish to eat. I am glad that guys enjoy fishing their backyards, good for you!
Right now I am looking for information and past experiences on salt water trips. Exotic locations and other fish that fight like demons excite me, company of surgeon excluded.
Sounds good and that makes way more sense to me. I hope you get so much traveling in you get home sick... in the good sense that is

Just getting ready to head out on one of those fall cutthroat days. I've been waiting a year for this particular trip. It is year 10 or so of doing the same trip and I hardly slept last night. Which dry fly will be king today? Can't wait!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
Bridge.
You.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
Hooked. Supposed to be hooked.
Autocorrect

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-24-2017, 09:43 AM

have fished freshwater for close to 60 years all kinds of fish would never trade it for saltwater. Still love icefishing. could never see the allure of fishing where you are on someone elses boat using their gear they bait your hook they find the fish then when the fish hits they let you reel their fish in . is that really fishing? But enjoy your self it leaves more fish for the rest of us....

mack
Old 09-24-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
have fished freshwater for close to 60 years all kinds of fish would never trade it for saltwater. Still love icefishing. could never see the allure of fishing where you are on someone elses boat using their gear they bait your hook they find the fish then when the fish hits they let you reel their fish in . is that really fishing? But enjoy your self it leaves more fish for the rest of us....

mack
If you don't know what you are talking about why do you feel so compelled to answer? I as well as I would bet everyone here has never done this, but you keep watching wicked tuna.
Leave the good fishing to us.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes! Pics man pics!!!
My mistake....was going from memory which isn't so good as it used to be!

It was 756 pounds....

The second pic is of her youngest son who is now half owner in the fleet with his stepfather. Pic is this morning's catch @445lbs. Last week her middle son brought in a 330lb and received a good grading and price of $15/lb. Still waiting to hear what today's fetched?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0949.jpg (15.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0951.jpg (31.0 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by The Spank; 09-24-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you don't know what you are talking about why do you feel so compelled to answer? I as well as I would bet everyone here has never done this, but you keep watching wicked tuna.
Agreed, Wicked Tuna is of course a dramatized reality show. My gf laughed like hell first time I turned it on for her to watch. She said yes there are elements of truth in the techniques involved but there is alot of mistruth hype in it too. She was very appalled at the guys who were spearing and using drones to find schools on the surface. Said for such a restricted fishery she could not see how that was allowed south of the border?
Old 09-24-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
My mistake....was going from memory which isn't so good as it used to be!

It was 756 pounds....

The second pic is of her youngest son who is now half owner in the fleet with his stepfather. Pic is this morning's catch @445lbs. Last week her middle son brought in a 330lb and received a good grading and price of $15/lb. Still waiting to hear what today's fetched?
That is just amazing, thanks for sharing that!!

Quote:
Agreed, Wicked Tuna is of course a dramatized reality show. My gf laughed like hell first time I turned it on for her to watch. She said yes there are elements of truth in the techniques involved but there is alot of mistruth hype in it too. She was very appalled at the guys who were spearing and using drones to find schools on the surface. Said for such a restricted fishery she could not see how that was allowed south of the border?
No kidding. They use planes too when then are harpooning them off the bow. I don't even watch when they do that.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is just amazing, thanks for sharing that!!

No kidding. They use planes too when then are harpooning them off the bow. I don't even watch when they do that.
Same here.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
you seem to assume a lot never said i didnt know anything about salt water fishing just said i would not trade freshwater for it. dont really see where i was answering you about anything either. I believe you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder or perhaps should not drink while on the computer. And why the hell would you think i would watch wicked tuna when i just said i prefer fresh water. maybe a little thought before you type. but thats ok Ken you enjoy realing in some elses fish ..

mack
Old 09-25-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
you seem to assume a lot never said i didnt know anything about salt water fishing just said i would not trade freshwater for it. dont really see where i was answering you about anything either. I believe you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder or perhaps should not drink while on the computer. And why the hell would you think i would watch wicked tuna when i just said i prefer fresh water. maybe a little thought before you type. but thats ok Ken you enjoy realing in some elses fish ..

mack
No, it is the fact that every single reply you give on any thread I start includes an ignorant shot. Some veiled, more just miserable. I was asking if anyone else is saltwater fishing. If they had winter plans. Read, think, then do us a favour and don't type.
Yes up I was on a boat that was not mine. That is all you got right.
We used our own gear.
We baited our own hooks.
We kept all the fish.
I don't need your permission for anything, so please keep your snotty attitude to yourself. You add nothing to the thread, so why do it at all.
Move along please. I am asking nicely.
I knew you couldn't be civil, even once.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
No, it is the fact that every single reply you give on any thread I start includes an ignorant shot. Some veiled, more just miserable. I was asking if anyone else is saltwater fishing. If they had winter plans. Read, think, then do us a favour and don't type.
Yes up I was on a boat that was not mine. That is all you got right.
We used our own gear.
We baited our own hooks.
We kept all the fish.
I don't need your permission for anything, so please keep your snotty attitude to yourself. You add nothing to the thread, so why do it at all.
Move along please. I am asking nicely.
I knew you couldn't be civil, even once.
im sorry if i hurt your feelings by posting in your thread but it is easily fix either dont post or do not read mine it is that easy. If you read i never said anything about you fishing i said i could never see why someone would want to fish on someone elses boat have them bait your hook and find you the fish i guess thats why i dont do it anymore you just assumed i was refering to you.If a person likes that kind of fishing so be it. i prefer to fish on a nice lake or river and enjoy what my country has to offer. so i guess i wont be meeting you on the lake anytime soon. enjoy your fishinv anyway..

mack

Last edited by Mackinaw; 09-25-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:34 AM

Quit your bellyaching boys, stop throwing salt in the wounds (egos), and get out here before the snow flies! Backswimmer/boatman action is underway and the big guys (trout) are prowling the shallower water for a tasty leech or minnow. A dozen 'bows to 18" yesterday on a mix of flies
Old 09-25-2017, 07:54 AM

I'm still thinking of taking the boat to the west coast this coming summer. The family had a great time catching sockeye, coho, and chinook a couple years ago. The outfit I went with does tuna charters out of Ucluelet as well. You have to pick your days and it's a long run out, but something I would love to do sometime. Not in my boat, mind you. I understand that things can get hairy out there pretty quick!

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Quit your bellyaching boys, stop throwing salt in the wounds (egos), and get out here before the snow flies! Backswimmer/boatman action is underway and the big guys (trout) are prowling the shallower water for a tasty leech or minnow. A dozen 'bows to 18" yesterday on a mix of flies
ya still lots of open water before freeze up. the arms won't hold up for the flyrod but sti mivht be able to float a few flies.

mack
Old 09-25-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
im sorry if i hurt your feelings by posting in your thread but it is easily fix either dont post or do not read mine it is that easy. If you read i never said anything about you fishing i said i could never see why someone would want to fish on someone elses boat have them bait your hook and find you the fish i guess thats why i dont do it anymore you just assumed i was refering to you.If a person likes that kind of fishing so be it. i prefer to fish on a nice lake or river and enjoy what my country has to offer. so i guess i wont be meeting you on the lake anytime soon. enjoy your fishinv anyway..

mack
You haven't, and why not just lay off the ignorant irrelevant obvious trolling comments? Again, THIS thread is about fishing salt water, there is no need for you to keep repeating yourself. Bye.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM

Anyway back on track- looks like I am going to Panama in a bit, definately looking forward to getting there and throwing a line.
Anyone been? Where? Pics? Did you charter or shore fish?
I have only shore fished in Hawaii, other than a half day fly fishing for bonefish and GT's on a boat.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 09-25-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:56 AM

Some food for thought for you Ken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-tdlih4i14
Old 09-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You haven't, and why not just lay off the ignorant irrelevant obvious trolling comments? Again, THIS thread is about fishing salt water, there is no need for you to keep repeating yourself. Bye.
there is a few post that are non sait water related on this thread but you seem to only have an issue with mine. Im beinging to think you dislike me just when i though we had a connection...see you on the water..

mack
Old 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
there is a few post that are non sait water related on this thread but you seem to only have an issue with mine. Im beinging to think you dislike me just when i though we had a connection...see you on the water..

mack
Isn't that what you wanted? Your past posts have all been miserable, is ignorant the new handshake?

Old 09-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Isn't that what you wanted? Your past posts have all been miserable, is ignorant the new handshake?
Why stoop to his level? Just ignore him.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
i dont see where i was ignorant i just expressed my opinion about what your thread was about just because you cant handle that it is not my problem just be smart as spank says ignore me i allready told you not to read my posts. New handshake no ive allready met you.
cant say it was stellar.

mack
Old 09-25-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
i dont see where i was ignorant i just expressed my opinion about what your thread was about just because you cant handle that it is not my problem just be smart as spank says ignore me i allready told you not to read my posts. New handshake no ive allready met you.
cant say it was stellar.

mack
Well I sure don't remember meeting you, that must mean something too huh? You are ignorant in every thread, this one you were more subtle. You don't need to tell me anything, just go on your merry way. Please. I am trying to be nice still, so please move on.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Why stoop to his level? Just ignore him.
Good advice, thank you. It is sad when someone his age just can't let go.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Good advice, thank you. It is sad when someone his age just can't let go.
lololol look in the mirror Ken

mack