Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Banned

Default Are inflatable boats supposed to be hard all the time

When i pump up my seahawk 400 sport i do it until it is fairly stiff. After a few hours of fishing on it i noticed it is softer than when i started. Is it normal to have a little amount of air to leak.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 AM

it will fluxuate as the weather changes and the cold water will soften it up also.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:36 AM

It's probably not a leak unless it's getting really soft. The air your putting into your boat is warmer than the water temperature so when you put it on the water the air cools which takes up less space than warm air, thus the softening of your boat. It's completely normal unless like i said your loosing alot of air. One way to avoid this is (if you have the time) is to fill up your boat and let it sit in the water for 15 mins or so to cool the air then top it up with your pump before heading out, you should find this helps your problem.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone616 View Post
It's probably not a leak unless it's getting really soft. The air your putting into your boat is warmer than the water temperature so when you put it on the water the air cools which takes up less space than warm air, thus the softening of your boat. It's completely normal unless like i said your loosing alot of air. One way to avoid this is (if you have the time) is to fill up your boat and let it sit in the water for 15 mins or so to cool the air then top it up with your pump before heading out, you should find this helps your problem.
thats exactly what i do, i notice my boat gets soft, i thought it was leaking, but i just pulled it out of the water and topped up the air, and it was fine, kinda scared me the first time i used it, was kinda p***ed off that it was leaking right out of the box, but then my brain went to work and now the properties of air and I are friends again.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone616 View Post
Gr8 tip! Will for sure try that on the little woman's new blowup Yak. Cheers!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned

OMG i cant believe that i never realized that. There goes my common sense
Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 AM

Bruce, if you want to know for sure just take one of your left over dish soap bottles, fill it with water and squirt it over your boat. Any leaks will show up right away with the dish soap.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:21 AM
Banned

Oh i know its not a leak cause i have left it inflated for 2 hours before and it hasnt leaked. I just thought that my own weight on the boat was pushing the air out through the boston valves. I never realized about that whole external temperature.