Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2018, 09:13 PM

Default Caution Wabamun Thieves

Caution guys!!! Today we went fishing at Wabamun. We launched our boat at the provincial park boat launch. When it was time to load the boat up a few guys in the parking lot approached me and asked if I had seen any one around their boat trailer? When I asked why. They said some one went around stealing hardware off the parked trailers . I was one of the fortunate ones who's trailer wasn't touched. I spend a good couple of hours helping others jerry rig their trailers so they could get their boats home. Thank god to a few heavy duty zip ties and duct tape , and few spare nuts and bolts in my portable tool box.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:21 PM

Like what were they taking? Lights?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Like what were they taking? Lights?
They were taking nuts and bolts that hold on the bunks , a couple of trailer winches, lights and spare tires.

These guys were brave. In the parking lot was a Fish and Wildlife truck and
boat trailer.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:28 PM

Sheesh.... sounds like they would take anything.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:32 PM

We were in Revelstoke one time sledding, when we came down one guys truck would not move. Transmission was stolen!!!!!

They will take anything.

Snipers nests would fix a lot.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-24-2018, 09:32 PM

Its really sad. What a way to ruin a fishing trip. People work soo hard these days to make ends meet with a very few days off .
Old 07-24-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
We were in Revelstoke one time sledding, when we came down one guys truck would not move. Transmission was stolen!!!!!

They will take anything.

Snipers nests would fix a lot.
Holy crap that's crazy!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2018, 07:30 AM

Just wondering if this was reported to police? Even though they may not be able to do much about these incidents, they should at least be made aware of it.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:57 AM

Holly smokes is it really worth stealing a couple of nuts and bolts and trailer winches from a highly public area ??? That’s ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman1 View Post
Holly smokes is it really worth stealing a couple of nuts and bolts and trailer winches from a highly public area ??? That’s ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They may be stealing that stuff hoping the boaters will have to leave the boat tied up and go for parts. Then they could come back and raid the boats.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
They may be stealing that stuff hoping the boaters will have to leave the boat tied up and go for parts. Then they could come back and raid the boats.
Excellent point.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:40 PM

Some break and enter theft in the night for tools happened just west of Wabamun. The home owner reported it to the RCMP. The RCMP responded, "you are close to the reserve." The homeowner is 15 min drive (2.5 hr walk) from the Paul Band.

There are neighbourhoods in Edmonton that border the reserve. I am 100% sure that the Police don't tell homeowners that experience theft it's because they live next to a reserve.

Please report any theft to RCMP so they take it seriously. It is most likely some local junkies stealing stuff and pawning it or selling it on kijiji.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd05 View Post
Some break and enter theft in the night for tools happened just west of Wabamun. The home owner reported it to the RCMP. The RCMP responded, "you are close to the reserve." The homeowner is 15 min drive (2.5 hr walk) from the Paul Band.

There are neighbourhoods in Edmonton that border the reserve. I am 100% sure that the Police don't tell homeowners that experience theft it's because they live next to a reserve.

Please report any theft to RCMP so they take it seriously. It is most likely some local junkies stealing stuff and pawning it or selling it on kijiji.
Sad reality though, isn't it? How many times have we heard stories of needing to chain our belongings down when camping in the bush? Or avoid broken vehicle windows by leaving the doors unlocked with a 26oz or a case of beer on the seat?
Buddy I know had his cooler stolen right out of his campsite while at the Wab provincial campground on Fathers Day weekend. We've had windows punched out of our shed at our family cabin (also at Wab) numerous times and all our Jerry Cans go missing, although that's been confined to the quieter winter months.
Report it all you want, nothing will stop the petty thefts, it's always a group of b-hole locals that perpetuate the stigma that "it's probably the reserve", even when that may not be the case. Enough bad experiences with I.R.'s and the expectation for trouble becomes well rooted in the publics mind