Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2018, 09:38 PM

Default Family fishing near Calgary

The wife is really interested in getting into fishing with the kids and I have not been fishing for over a decade I think. Looking for recommendations around Calgary (feel free to refer me to a thread already started, didn’t find one looking). Only requirements are short walk/hike (kids are still pretty young), can be fished easily from shore, can catch some fish. Not looking for your honey hole or super large fish, just need to get the family out there. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2018, 11:10 PM

Chain lake would be your best bet. Try out some ice fishing there as well.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:57 AM

Check out the Fish Stocking Report
https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/fis...Jul27-2018.pdf

McLean Pond, Wedge Pond, Quarry Lake, Grotto Pond, Calgary Kids Can Fish, Mt. Lorette, DeWitt's Pond.

Ken
Old 07-30-2018, 12:02 PM

Thanks guys!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:14 AM

I have always found trout to be to finicky for kids to fish and have the patience for fishing them . Try taking them to one of the lakes that have perch in them.
They are a lot more aggressive And makes things more fun for the kids.

If you know anyone who can get you into lake Sikome in Calgary I took my niece and nephew there a few years ago and we had a blast. Not sure if you need to. W a community member or not may have to pay a fee or something for entry
Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldenhwk View Post
The wife is really interested in getting into fishing with the kids and I have not been fishing for over a decade I think. Looking for recommendations around Calgary (feel free to refer me to a thread already started, didn’t find one looking). Only requirements are short walk/hike (kids are still pretty young), can be fished easily from shore, can catch some fish. Not looking for your honey hole or super large fish, just need to get the family out there. Thanks!
If you are willing to drive a little south there is excellent shore fishing, although its mostly reservoirs. Not very comfortable for the wife, but I'm sure the kids would love it. Milk river ridge reservoir and chin offer great fishing as does the old man reservoir. I would target walleye or pike as both pretty easy to catch. Mostly a pickerel rig with a minnow and worm will work. Instead of a weight at the bottom use a larger jig head so you have 3 hooks.

If you do head south send me a PM and I can give you some spots.

Before you head out anywhere please read the fishing regulations for that body of water as lots has changed in the last while

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk