Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Running faster than "the other guy" does not equate to running faster than the bear. What if the bear chooses you instead of the slower guy? If I had to choose between "a slower guy" or a shotgun to be my lifeline in the event of a bear attack, I'd take the shotgun any day. (The fact that I hunt alone removes the "slower guy" option anyway. LOL... this is kinda turning into a pointless conversation I guess, but, I simply come back to the main point. Saying that bears are too fast, so don't bother carrying a shotgun, is like saying, fire is too fast, hot, and unpredictable, so don't bother having a fire extinguisher in your home.
I am not knocking you, do what ever you want out there. Good to be prepared, if you want to carry all that stuff with you go for it, no sweat off my back, hope you never have to use it. Personally I think the lighter the better, bears in general are not that aggressive, if they came to the call they were just curious. I once saw a bear that I thought was a brown colored black. I intercepted him in his route. Turned out to be a sow grizz at 30 yards. I took my arrow and tapped it on the bow making a ratteling sound. She took off like her butt was on fire, didn't even look my way.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Default Bears....

No offence taken! I was just havin' a little fun with this thread too. At the end of the day, it is up to each hunter how he/she prepares for the great outdoor adventure.

Anyway, as requested... back to the topic at hand....

Like I said in an earlier post, The Shooting Edge in Calgary carries some good selection of defender-style shotguns.

Wolverine Guns & Tackle in Red Deer is where I picked up the Maverick 88.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 PM

IMO you do not need to carry. As a matter of fact I don't think it is legal to carry a firearm while bowhunting. Although I could not find it in this years regulations, I do remember seeing at one time that you could not carry a firearm while bowhunting unless there was an open season which permitted you to do so. Now tell me that you were grouse hunting witn a slug, like I am going to believe that, and the CO will too. Also remember that the regulations that are given to us are there only as a guideline, they are not a legal document. If in doubt contact FW.
nuff said:
Old 09-15-2012, 07:34 PM

My solution :

#1. Bear Spray

#2. Rossi Ranch Hand loaded with HOT .45 Long Colts on a hip/leg quick draw holster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMr3oDn7rno)

#3. My Cold Steel Gurka Kukhri. It's not JUST bear defence, it's my Ax, my camp knife as well. (and no I don't intend to cut a bear in half with it, lol - I WILL use it to stick into something chewing on me or charging me.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJues8TAbk
Old 09-15-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
My solution :

#1. Bear Spray

#2. Rossi Ranch Hand loaded with HOT .45 Long Colts on a hip/leg quick draw holster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMr3oDn7rno)

#3. My Cold Steel Gurka Kukhri. It's not JUST bear defence, it's my Ax, my camp knife as well. (and no I don't intend to cut a bear in half with it, lol - I WILL use it to stick into something chewing on me or charging me.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJues8TAbk
Awesome weapons for sure, if ya feel the need to carry one of these would be the one.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Was out in 348 today and spotted a black bear feeding towards me at 40 yards. He didn't even see me walking towads him. I just turned around and went back the way I came (have bear spray but left it in the truck lol). Disappointing in that I didn't complete my recce of the area I had never been in before.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan856 View Post
Gents,

Can we please stay in the topic of my questions, I'm not interested in other peoples opinions on carrying or not carrying-Thanks
OK if your scared of bears or what ever, stay home. Play pool or some other game. t
That is my opinion
Old 09-16-2012, 01:13 AM

You did the right thing. Next time have a firearm with you.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Lol .x2
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 AM

I want to hunt black bear this fall.
I've been around that species plenty from growing up over yonder east, (still have yet to see a grizzly though!)

My nine-year-old of course wants to come with me, and we'll both carry bear spray as well. After some contemplation, I decided the safest way to hunt bear (or even to hunt in dense bear territory) is with another adult as well.

I think that everyone has their own comfort level and level of acceptable risk, and as long as everyone going out there has their head about them, it's certainly not my place to judge what would or wouldn't spook someone. We all need to listen to our gut.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-16-2012, 11:37 AM

I'll often head out for my hunt with an extra firearm in the truck, either so I can play "eenie, meenie, miney" or if a hunting partner either forgets his firearms or has an issue with it. When the rancher where we hunt warned of a sow grizz with two cubs in the area in recent days I opted for the .338 Win Mag over the .30-06.

I think the OP's bowhunting topic might explain a thing I suspect is seldom discussed, even online. Its basically related to the large number of shoulder holsters I see in the outdoor stores, when shoulder holsters are not a carry option for IDPA or other such organized pistol shooting, basically because during the drawing of a pistol from such a rig, one will typically be 'sweeping' anyone beside them, as well as themselves.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan856 View Post
Gents,

Can we please stay in the topic of my questions, I'm not interested in other peoples opinions on carrying or not carrying-Thanks
Sounds like you should buy a book Amigo. The problem with starting a conversation with a bunch of hunters about bear protection is your going to end up with a conversation about bear protection. Not all of it will be necessarily pertinant to your fear and the control thereof.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Default ...bears...

For what it's worth, I've totally enjoyed this thread (and still am). It's always educational to discover what various hunters think about any given topic, even if there isn't always agreement across the board. I for one, have often wondered about other bowhunter's experiences with bears.
Further thoughts, ideas and opinions are certainly welcomed here!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 PM

If I can offer - I was bow hunting elk with a couple friends in K country the past few days and when we slept at night, a buddy had brought an electric bear fence - never had to have it 'tested' by a bruin, but slept SOOOO well knowing how effective they are.

HIGHLY recommend if you are camping out there in bear country.

Check the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2G-aRDvyY
Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 PM

I don't carry.
Have been thinking about putting bear spray in my fanny pack though, just to be on the safe side.

I've been actively trying to stock almost every black bear I've ever encountered on foot when bow hunting - with no success to date.
Bears have terrible eyesight (which inevitably causes most close human encounters...); but there other senses are better than most all other animals in the bush. Wind or terrain have never worked in my favor, but I'll tell you it's been difficult to say the least. One time, a long time ago I was crawling in on a moose with my rifle; to have a bear stand up about 20 yards away to see about the noise I was making (he was in the tall grass). Not only was he gone so fast once I saw me that I couldn't get a shot, him standing up was enough for the moose to saunter off as well. The only scenario where I MIGHT worry about it; is a sow with a cub or two, or three, and getting in the middle of them - which can be avoided with a humans best weapon, common sense.

To be completely honest; I think I'm a bit more worried about the real predators fellas; Cats and big dogs.

But I do understand the concern; statistics considered a bear attack can happen - probability is not 0. *Although highly unlikely considering that a wild pig typically eats more meat than a black bear.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 PM

I just giggle at these threads... Cause every time ...
It's turns Into people talkin about how big theirs is....

Knives, guns, other stuff....

Compensate much?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
If I can offer - I was bow hunting elk with a couple friends in K country the past few days and when we slept at night, a buddy had brought an electric bear fence - never had to have it 'tested' by a bruin, but slept SOOOO well knowing how effective they are.

HIGHLY recommend if you are camping out there in bear country.

Check the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2G-aRDvyY
Where can you buy these bear fences in canada?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Banned

i think the animals communicate with each other out there. everyone knows a badger is the meanest baddest animal out there. heck they attack trucks regularly and kill cattle for an afternoon snack. well, after posting my badger adventures, the bears have gotten the message. i just have to puff up my chest and growl at them and they run like thunder. anyone needing bear protection while hunting with weapons capable of killing the largest critters on this continent can just call me. ill tag along as i do liek going hunting.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
....As a matter of fact I don't think it is legal to carry a firearm while bowhunting. Although I could not find it in this years regulations, I do remember seeing at one time that you could not carry a firearm while bowhunting unless there was an open season which permitted you to do so.

Now tell me that you were grouse hunting witn a slug, like I am going to believe that, and the CO will too.

Also remember that the regulations that are given to us are there only as a guideline, they are not a legal document. If in doubt contact FW.
nuff said:
as a matter of fact? then you say you don't think? your confusing yourself and our fellow bowhunters. witch is it, fact or thought? and please enlighten us as to why a fellow canadian would be prevented from carrying a weapon that they are permitted to carry? nuff not said....
Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 AM

Shovel

Nobody finds it if its buried

But yeah the OP did the right thing

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
as a matter of fact? then you say you don't think? your confusing yourself and our fellow bowhunters. witch is it, fact or thought? and please enlighten us as to why a fellow canadian would be prevented from carrying a weapon that they are permitted to carry? nuff not said....
Just call FW and they will clear this up, or they could ask you. You seem to be the know it all around here.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Just call FW and they will clear this up, or they could ask you. You seem to be the know it all around here.
nothing to clear up except misinformation being posted to this site by someone who obviously has no clue. not interested in what you think,quote the law or the officer's name.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
nothing to clear up except misinformation being posted to this site by someone who obviously has no clue. not interested in what you think,quote the law or the officer's name.
If you read it again I said I don't think it is legal. Call FW they can clear it up. I wasn't trying to missinform anyone. Your just looking for a fight, I don't have time for your type so BBLA.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
If you read it again I said I don't think it is legal. Call FW they can clear it up. I wasn't trying to missinform anyone. Your just looking for a fight, I don't have time for your type so BBLA.
why would i waste the valuable time of a F&W Officer? I usually reserve those calls for actual cases of poachers bragging or caught in the act with their ill gotten bootie...LOL

a fact is a fact.what kind of fact? it's a fact. a fact is a fact. and when you have a good fact, it's because it is factual. lmao
Old 09-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
why would i waste the valuable time of a F&W Officer? I usually reserve those calls for actual cases of poachers bragging or caught in the act with their ill gotten bootie...LOL

a fact is a fact.what kind of fact? it's a fact. a fact is a fact. and when you have a good fact, it's because it is factual. lmao
I think you need some serious help, not trying to be rude but really find help ASAP
Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Don't worry - I get this.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-17-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Some photos of my "attempt to stay alive" setup.
The shotgun is a little Mossberg Maverick 88. [5 in the magazine, 1 in the chamber]. The backpack/scabbard was purchased at Seals Action Gear in Calgary. I love this setup. (Although it may look a bit awkward in the photos, once all the camo gear is on, this little setup straps on nice 'n snug). The Maverick sits muzzle down in the scabbard, and can be pulled out in an instant.
LOL...... I think a Conan sword and some throwing stars would come in handy too !

Seriously, this is coming from a guy who has been literally ran over twice by bears. Bear spray is more than enough .

Be bear aware and you shouldn't have a problem. They don't jump out of tree's like the viet con looking for white guys in camo ! Make smart decision and you'll be o.k ! Next time your scared for your life, just remember those gronola eating, unshaven, peta loving , tie die wearing, classified girly hikers, hike the same mountains as us, and they usually only carry bells and whistles!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I think....
hep ya out, here is the link to the wildlife act. please, when time permits,quote the section where it supports your "fact".

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/W10.pdf
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
hep ya out, here is the link to the wildlife act. please, when time permits,quote the section where it supports your "fact".

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/W10.pdf
For the last time thick head, I did not say it was a fact, I said I think it is not legal. Take your time and read it again. Go real slow or have somebody help you. I am sure there is a sixth grader out there that can help you, as long as his parents are there to supervise.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Where can you buy these bear fences in canada?
halford hide sells a similar system.