Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2018, 02:00 PM

Default Children only fly fishing

If you want to start your children fly fishing, without a big expense, the Stratmore fish out pond is the place to go.
Two docks, with a place for sitting, all you will need is a light fly rod with matching floating line.A float indicator and a few size 12 or 14 weighted flys.
Its a good idea for everyone to wear eye protection, and use barbless hooks, of course life vest can be worn. Keep a net on hand.
Long distance casting, not at all required the big boys cruiseing close to the dock.
Attached the indicator 5-6 feet from the fly on a 8-9 foot leader 6 lb.
The lake for children and seniors. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:09 PM
Banned

Why is this place better than any other pond?
The cost is the same for any place. A rod, reel, line, an indicator and a few flies.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
If you want to start your children fly fishing, without a big expense, the Stratmore fish out pond is the place to go.
Two docks, with a place for sitting, all you will need is a light fly rod with matching floating line.A float indicator and a few size 12 or 14 weighted flys.
Its a good idea for everyone to wear eye protection, and use barbless hooks, of course life vest can be worn. Keep a net on hand.
Long distance casting, not at all required the big boys cruiseing close to the dock.
There ya go SK, pond custom fit for you.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
The cost is the same for any place. A rod, reel, line, an indicator and a few flies.
If you live in Strathmore especially it’s great because you’re not driving a long way. Kids get bored fast if they aren’t successful so driving a half hour each way for 5 minutes of fishing may not be all that fun for the young fisher or the parent.

This is a kids and seniors pond only. It doesn’t get the pressure some other ponds will, thereby increasing (potentially) the chances of being successful.

Just remember, as you get older it’s more about the experience. But as a kid success is measured in what you catch.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:43 AM

Default Children

Scottmisfits---You answered the Question perfectly,----Of course the fact that the trout are very plentiful, and easy caught, and some quite large--Mom can go shopping, and pick up some tims just around the corner---Oh yes this is perfect pond for small children, and the beginning of a life long passion--My father would carry me to the boat, with my little cain pole---a life time ago.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:10 AM

Default children fly fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
The main reason is the lack of fishing pressure, and the large number of easy caught large trout.
The docks with sitting benches, very comfortable for short range casting.
The attention span of children, usually a short fishing day.
This a beautiful well kept park, with play ground, hikeing, bikeing trails.
You can go for morning fishing without burning a fortune in gas, and come back with some beauties for the pan.
The pond not well know--got small children--give it a try, there is nothing like the squeals and laughter of a small child bringing a trout to the net.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Eye protection: I would say #1 priority if they or anyone else in close proximity are casting a fly.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Eye protection: I would say #1 priority if they or anyone else in close proximity are casting a fly.
Also if anywhere near a thermos of volcanic clam chowder!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:23 AM

And archery

Yes, fishing and archery go hand in hand for all that choose to up the game plan.

My friend and I took both of these fantastic hobbies on full time this winter while ice-fishing.

We picked up a couple of frugal recurve bows, hand full of arrows and a big old target.

When the fishing was good, we dove right into it, then to fill in the gap we'd shoot the bows.

It helps break up the day with different things to do, the elders and kids on Sylvan Lk thought this was the koolest thing going,,, of course this idea is for folks that enjoy doing more than 1 thing threw out the day.

We put in about 100 days of fishing and traditional archery this winter, it just rapped up on the Lake, so we moved the frugal archery range to the farm until the snow melts a bit,,, then the set-up heads out west to the big River camp site to continue the fishing and archery thing.
Plus it fits in on the black bear hunt this spring.

Kids and Adults like veriety, spending time doing things tighter is part of the rewards when finding stuff to do in the out-doors.

Just a thought as its fun finding affordable hobbies the whole family can take part in.

PS: Find a big back stop as it doesn't take long to have the arrows go missing. LOL

Don
Old 04-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Default Bow--rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
And archery

Yes, fishing and archery go hand in hand for all that choose to up the game plan.

My friend and I took both of these fantastic hobbies on full time this winter while ice-fishing.

We picked up a couple of frugal recurve bows, hand full of arrows and a big old target.

When the fishing was good, we dove right into it, then to fill in the gap we'd shoot the bows.

It helps break up the day with different things to do, the elders and kids on Sylvan Lk thought this was the koolest thing going,,, of course this idea is for folks that enjoy doing more than 1 thing threw out the day.

We put in about 100 days of fishing and traditional archery this winter, it just rapped up on the Lake, so we moved the frugal archery range to the farm until the snow melts a bit,,, then the set-up heads out west to the big River camp site to continue the fishing and archery thing.
Plus it fits in on the black bear hunt this spring.

Kids and Adults like veriety, spending time doing things tighter is part of the rewards when finding stuff to do in the out-doors.

Just a thought as its fun finding affordable hobbies the whole family can take part in.

PS: Find a big back stop as it doesn't take long to have the arrows go missing. LOL

Don
wow excellant idea------