Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 AM

Default Backcountry, AB Elk?

Hi;

Wondering if anyone has any insight on a place where a guy could go to look for some backcountry ELK. I'm an experienced bowhunter, but have never been successful for elk and it's killing me. Been training, gradually purchasing gear over the years, and feel my game is where it needs to be to go look for one in some remote country. A little over a year ago; I had a couple AO members help me, and recommended 404 or 406, and turned me away from 408, said it was difficult with park boundries, etc. Said the populations were pretty good in those 2 particular WMUs, with 404 being a bit better with a lot of Gbears as well. The 8 day season with a 6 point bull seems to be a bit of a deturant to be honest - unless thats a sign of what's actually in there. I'll likely be flying solo with a stick and string for sure. I'll be in shape and ready to hunt.

Any input or foresight would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 AM

Never hunted 406 so don't know too much about there, I've hunted 404 before, there are elk there for sure and with some work a fellow can find something half decent anyways. Biggest issues there right now, the main road and I think only road accessing the bulk of the zone if not the whole zone is closed and I'm not to sure if there are plans to reopen anytime soon. There are lots of griz, I'm not to sure I would want to go in there on my own if I was you, I saw at least one and up to 5 most days. The other issue is the bow season seems to be on the early side for the rut there, we had more luck calling once rifle season rolled around.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:52 AM

This is NOT meant to dissuade you, as it is doable, but...

Have you ever handled, butchered and packed out an elk sized animal (i.e. 1.5-3.5 year old moose) by yourself?

I have killed and packed out elk as far as 3 miles solo, and I do not reccomend it! The 3 mile bull took me 3 days and a bucket of Advil to pack out.

If you are going to go for it, then I recommend getting in GREAT shape first. You should be able to pack 80+ pounds up AND down some pretty steep terrain for extended periods of time.

Another thing to consider is your personal level of resolve. If you have an ignorant level of determination to complete any task put before you with no consideration for pain, discomfort and potential long term physical damage, you should be fine.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Hey, I share your pain, 8 years and no elk for me. things to plan for:
Anywhere from 410 to 400 will be considered good, by people who have spent years hunting there and know where to go. Pick a place you can spend a lot of time. Plan to spend the summer scouting. Weeks, not days or weekends.

A six point bull is a big animal. There is a saying among backcountry elk hunters: "I hunted elk without horses, once". how far do you plan to move the meat? Ex: If you train by carrying a 100 lb pack 10 km, you can hunt 2 km off the road/quad trail (gear+meat+head/cape=5 trips out, 10 km loaded, 10 km unloaded) thats a long day, especially if its day 7.

A lot of the backcountry elk hunting articles/vids are from areas in the US where there are few black bears and fewer griz. Things are different here. Be ready for it.

Best of luck, and post pics when you get em. See ya on the mountain
Old 02-15-2014, 12:38 PM

both zones have some great elk to be had ... 406 is a very very large zone and most of the elk are in certain pockets and those pockets are tuff to find .. thats why they are there ... 404 has a large number of grizzlies roaming around and chances are if you do harvest an elk and u dont get it out that day id be willing to bet you wont be the only one there when you return for the rest ... but like any other zones in alberta if you hunt it and hunt it hard you will find what your after
Old 02-15-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Hey, I share your pain, 8 years and no elk for me. things to plan for:
Anywhere from 410 to 400 will be considered good, by people who have spent years hunting there and know where to go. Pick a place you can spend a lot of time. Plan to spend the summer scouting. Weeks, not days or weekends.

A six point bull is a big animal. There is a saying among backcountry elk hunters: "I hunted elk without horses, once". how far do you plan to move the meat? Ex: If you train by carrying a 100 lb pack 10 km, you can hunt 2 km off the road/quad trail (gear+meat+head/cape=5 trips out, 10 km loaded, 10 km unloaded) thats a long day, especially if its day 7.

A lot of the backcountry elk hunting articles/vids are from areas in the US where there are few black bears and fewer griz. Things are different here. Be ready for it.

Best of luck, and post pics when you get em. See ya on the mountain
Excellent perspective you put on the work required there. You mean on all those shows like Eastmans where they are 5 miles in and the hunter and camera man get it all packed out in 2 trips or less could be stretching it?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:06 PM

Default Pudelpointer

I saw where you packed your elk out 3 miles and all I can say is you are a nutbar. Even worse two guys packed 2 moose out of that same area this year and it took them 3 days.

We had horses and were so far from the road that it took us 6 hours to get out to the truck. I am going to do everything I can to get my son to shoot one within 3 miles of a road even with horses and 3-4 guys it is a ton of work.
Solo in grizz country making multiple trips on foot just sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Like I was saying, it takes a special kind of ignorant.

I am a wee bit over 40 now, and I would like to say that I am more thoughtful about where I will shoot an elk... however, I would probably be telling a lie.

I found myself a couple miles from the truck this fall, all alone, when I bumped some elk. No shot; I knew one was a bull but had no idea if he was legal. After they were long gone I was thankful I had no shot because I know I wouldn't have hesitated.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
This is NOT meant to dissuade you, as it is doable, but...

Have you ever handled, butchered and packed out an elk sized animal (i.e. 1.5-3.5 year old moose) by yourself?

I have killed and packed out elk as far as 3 miles solo, and I do not reccomend it! The 3 mile bull took me 3 days and a bucket of Advil to pack out.

If you are going to go for it, then I recommend getting in GREAT shape first. You should be able to pack 80+ pounds up AND down some pretty steep terrain for extended periods of time.

Another thing to consider is your personal level of resolve. If you have an ignorant level of determination to complete any task put before you with no consideration for pain, discomfort and potential long term physical damage, you should be fine.
No I haven't done it, but everything you describe exactly why I want to do it. Just me and what's on my pack...
The bears is more my worry, if I was actually fortunate enough to harvest. This is why I was hoping for any more info/and or recommendations without all the Griz...?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
No I haven't done it, but everything you describe exactly why I want to do it. Just me and what's on my pack...
The bears is more my worry, if I was actually fortunate enough to harvest. This is why I was hoping for any more info/and or recommendations without all the Griz...?
These days it is impossible to say "there are no griz in area X", however, PM incoming...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 AM

There are still good herds in the Foothill 300 zones if you like hiking...all along the foothills...Research WMU 328... Hiked many a trail and took my fair share of archery elk in that zone... however as mentioned above predicting a grizz is unlikely anywhere in Alberta's treed wilderness...

Neil
Old 02-17-2014, 10:44 PM

Default back country elk

The guy's are giving you sound advise zones listed are good. It is tough to get one out but can be done. Boning out meat into game bags and using a game cart where possible or a toboggan on grass or game trail works . There is a long list of problems bow hunting heat,spoilage,flies, bears there are more bears around than people realize, they are in all the zones in the south. I lost an elk 3 years back in 1-2 hrs' after the kill to a sow black and 2 cubs .I walked up a ridge to call for help and came back down @ 11:00 in the morning and they were on it.. so it's not just G bears. But it can be done and you can do a hunt but take a friend, bone it out right away and shuttle the meat away from the kill. All the mountain zones and 300 zones have pockets of elk you need to find them they change from day to day week by week depending on conditions it's not easy if it was everyone would be successful .