Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 09:25 PM

Default Dammed thieves

My RV and a bunch of others in my neighbourhood had their batteries stolen. Got home after work today to find my cover on the ground , and then to find the battery gone. Hazmats cut the cables and helped themselves.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushnell View Post
My RV and a bunch of others in my neighbourhood had their batteries stolen. Got home after work today to find my cover on the ground , and then to find the battery gone. Hazmats cut the cables and helped themselves.
Had this happen to us and a couple of neighbours last year. Brand new batteries gone. Cables cut. I hope they spilled acid on themselves.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:47 AM

I noticed a thief breaking into a vehicle tonight in our parking lot. Luckily EPS was able to catch the perp promptly.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-15-2018, 07:01 AM

Default *

The cops are gonna be sooo busy with this new "Weed" nightmare that you might as well not even hook up the cables next time!!
Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I noticed a thief breaking into a vehicle tonight in our parking lot. Luckily EPS was able to catch the perp promptly.
And with our catch and release legal system, the thief will likely be out stealing in a day or so. Its time to bring back hard labor, to discourage this type of behavior. And if the criminals work, they can earn enough to offset the cost to feed and house them.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushnell View Post
And they probably sold your brand new battery to a scrap dealer for $10.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
And they probably sold your brand new battery to a scrap dealer for $10.
I'm guessing the thieves use the batteries for off grid grow ops I doubt they have RV's
Old 08-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Thumbs down

well that is just something I would have never thought of. RV batteries, deep cycle likely, no good for vehicle. Think someone is paying them for grow ops seriously?
I wish they would start drinking the acid.
Kingsman 2 movie had it right.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-15-2018, 10:53 AM

There have been a shocking amount of deep cycle batteries being stolen I doubt the lazy buggers are stealing 150 Lbs of them to cash in for $20. A bank of 20 batteries could power a grow with low voltage LED's then be recharged with solar panels although it would take a crap load of panels.

The cops use power usage as a way of detection for a grow ops, an operation in the boonies powered by batteries would be almost undetectable except for the array of solar panels.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:34 PM

In a somewhat related story, a local energy company was losing dozens of batteries off their Arrow Engines so they embedded a small GPS device in one. Sure enough the battery went missing and gps showed it to be at a residence in Sylvan. The RCMP were notified, and a little while later the battery started to move and was found in the ditch along highway 11. My guess is that the crooks had a scanner and somehow were warned that the Law was on the way.

As for the comment about batteries not being worth the effort to steal for $10, it would be a quicker and a higher return than stealing copper wire.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-15-2018, 03:55 PM

Lots of reports of stolen batteries here lately, sometimes by the dozen +, which made no sense to me. Lots of work and weight to be getting a $10 core charge or whatever. Never thought about the grow op idea. Makes sense. Might put you on the radar if you bought 20 deep cycle batteries at once...
Old 08-15-2018, 04:09 PM

YOU, people are so stupid, a crook will steal anything if they think they will make money, even if they think the mind in use and the body will undo the effort made to steal is worth it. If these people would understand that the effort and no-how would make them a fortune in the private world. But they steal for the sake of stealing. I live with them and I know, whatever!!!! Why do I go on these rants, I get so p_______d off. If these people knew, whatever!!!!!! SORRY, I AM OFF MY RANT.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:33 PM

I used to park my trailer in a secure RV lot with 200 other RVs. Cameras, 8’ fence with barb wire, the whole deal. Theives cut the chain link fence out of camera range and stole every battery that was available. The lot owner told me it was well over 100 batteries stolen. I had just bought a brand new battery the week before this all went down. What a **** off!
Old 08-16-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I'm guessing the thieves use the batteries for off grid grow ops I doubt they have RV's
I have actually seen 2 RV's converted into mobile grow ops as well as 1 for a meth lab. Although I doubt they got much of a profit from such a small operation, had maybe 12-15 plants growing. They removed the couches and had the batteries in the compartment below wired directly to a charger. From the outside it looked like a normal motor home being stored for the season.
I would guess the majority of the batteries are being returned for the core charge or perhaps being sold on Kijiji.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-16-2018, 03:06 PM

They are getting $15 a battery here in the south. I confronted one of the local battery shops about their battery core buying habits and was told it's business and he won't turn it away. (condones buying stolen batteries ) The customers he's buying from come by on old bikes packing a battery or two. Walk in packing 1 or 2 between a couple guys who couldn't afford shoe laces. The shops on the north side of town will only credit back to accounts or check to customer but drivers licence required. Boycott the buyers of the cores.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:13 PM

The thieves are NOT using them for grow ops, that's absolutely absurd.

Back alley thieves are meth heads and crack heads looking for a quick buck, not growers looking for power
Old 08-16-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

Back alley thieves are meth heads and crack heads looking for a quick buck, not growers looking for power
Yup...
Old 08-16-2018, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lites out View Post
The cops are gonna be sooo busy with this new "Weed" nightmare that you might as well not even hook up the cables next time!!
Has nothing to do with it.
Dumb crooks steal what they think they can sell quickly or trade .

Things like Kijiji that makes it easy to post and sell things is more likely than anything to contribute to seemingly random things to steal.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 PM

Default Scrap

Batteries are 45-55 cents a pound now at the local
Scrapper
Old 08-17-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

I agree - and if the argument is "tracing the electrical use" keep in mind 99% of the grow ops steal power upstream of the meter.

Using Batteries would require a MASSIVE amount of solar panels OR conventional electricity to recharge them. Just too much work for lazy thieves. Much easier to cut a live line and steal power.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 PM
Banned

I just watched a guy rip off a ford truck in under two minutes loading up my mountain bike at Henry singer park here in Edmonton. Man these guys are fast I couldn’t believe it.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:33 PM

Not to mention the cable cutting, would be easier to carry a 8 mm wrench to disconnect battery but they would sooner add further hardship by cutting your cables. Same as the butt heads stealing gas. Can't siphon anymore, lets drill a hole in gas tank. Now you are out $100 gas and about 5 or 600 for new tank.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:46 PM

Why can't someone make a remote disconnection devise, if you see your vehicle drive away, or not even see, some device should cut the the battery cable and stop the vehilce
Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Why can't someone make a remote disconnection devise, if you see your vehicle drive away, or not even see, some device should cut the the battery cable and stop the vehilce
They're out there. Cops use them with "bait' vehicles.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:39 PM

Finance companies have been installing them also;

https://www.syracuse.com/news/index...._payments.html
Old 08-19-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lites out View Post
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, there is no way "Weed" is the reason behind any battery's being stolen...the vast amount of battery's being taken is for scrap money to buy the next hit of much stronger drugs...I could understand it if chips and cheezies were being stolen..then you would be correct about "Weed"
My opinion really doesn't matter as I don't mind saying that I'm just guessing...same as you did!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-20-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
They're out there. Cops use them with "bait' vehicles.
Any link for the devise, possibly
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with cutting the power from a vehicle when it is already moving. No liability there at all.

Bait vehicles are one of two kinds, just a staged car with GPS tracking, and under some survellience, OR the kind where the as soon as the car is started and the door is closed, all doors lock and ignition is killed immediately (before it starts driving)locking the thief inside. But the second type is rarely used in Canada.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Any link for the devise, possibly
It used to be called a DVR. This article explains it a little more.

https://car-corral.com/blog/how-bair...rral-victoria/
Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM

Talking

wiring the airbag to the ignition would be a show stopper. Let the RCMP wake them up when they arrive.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....