Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-28-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Morning,
More of a question than a suggestion.Could you use leftover carcasses from trapping, Beaver of course, but what about squirrel, martin,muskrat, or even coyote and fox? Be a good way to dispose of carcasses.
Just wondering?
Ken

I don't think the coyote or fox carcass, possibly martin, would draw in a bear very good. Carnivores usually have a undesirable musk or smell. Squirrel or muskrat might work ok in the blend of other ingredients.

Great suggestions by everyone, tried and true from experience. I do not hunt bear but understand smells and scents in the woods from years of trapping.

I have one suggestion regarding putting scents in the air. There are so many essential and fragrance oils available, that would be pleasant to have wafting on the breeze. Even a fragrance oil of fresh cut grass would be of interest to a early spring bear. How about bubble gum, apple pie, vanilla, strawberry jam or cotton candy? Eucalyptus and spearmint essential oil could be interesting too.

Check out how many essential oils and fragrances are available at this site. You can even buy 25 lb. drums of them.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com...ances-All.aspx

I am sure a few of these essence oils and fragrances would bring in bears real good. Maybe even eliminate the need for a big bait site. Put scent on trails coming to your stand..then make a 1 inch diameter hole 3 feet deep in front your stand and pour some of the essence oil or fragrance into the hole when you are on stand. A bear would most likely work that scent hole for a few minutes.

Have any of you experienced bear standhunters used scents in this way?

Could maybe put a big pile of catnip (grows good in the garden) under the stand and get the bears rolling around and buzzed. haha
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 PM

Red Bullets; I use peppermint oil on the donuts. First year i tried this my buddy set up trail cameras directly over the bait. Bears ate the peppermint ones first EVERY time.
I think i will be placing an order for one of the 16oz bottles of peppermint off this site. Cheaper and easier than clearing out several grocery stores of their small 1oz bottles.
Thanks for that link!

I have had no luck with coyote or fox carcasses with bears..

Gobigorgohome, i have tried beaver carcasses with some success. However lots of other gentlemen i have spoken with swear by beaver.. Give it a go! Smellier the better.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
Red Bullets; I use peppermint oil on the donuts. First year i tried this my buddy set up trail cameras directly over the bait. Bears ate the peppermint ones first EVERY time.

Then the bear has good breath when you are taking pictures after the shot.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-01-2015, 04:31 AM
Banned

Default Anise

Anise oil or Star Anise, is a scent that I have used successfully in the past. Anise has a similar flavor and order to liquorice.

I used to boil Star Anise then put it in a spray bottle and put lots of spray on the trees and surrounding area, quite effective!

Another aspect about donuts, breads and oats and molasses bates over dead animals baits is the weight aspect. Carrying in breads to a bait, over carrying heavy and rotting carcasses is my preference and a pleasure in comparison.

Lots of great baiting tip on this thread, wish I had access to all of this information when I started to hunt bears!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:15 PM

gobigorgohome, you might want to throw a couple beavers into the mix, espescially if you have access to tons of them. Bears love them, and that stink you're talking about is exactly what brings bears into bait sites. I'll take some beavers of your hands if you want!! You can bet they'll be in the woods, hopefully with a big bruin picking at them. Baits sound good though.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Picanic baskets.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 AM

When I baited I would go to a catering company on the weekends and dumpster dive for all the sandwiches, donuts, hamburgers it was a gold mine. I also would get 5 gallon pails of grease from burgerking and pails of KFC gravy they were throwing out. Look around you shouldn't have to pay anything for bear bait.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Banned

Not allowed to shoot bears off garbage cans here.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Not allowed to shoot bears off garbage cans here.
And that is why we are talking about this subject on ALBERTA outdoorsmen.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 03-03-2015, 03:34 PM

We used to get a few truck loads of liquorice, granola and gummies from lucky 7 bear bait out of Minnesota. It was actually really cheap if you had a few guys go in with you. Any extra was sold off to the people on this site.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:54 PM

How about a few captured ISIS fighters ???
Old 03-03-2015, 05:43 PM

Mossyoak, if you have a couple I'll take'em. Kidding! Here come the fun police, I'm sure. It was just a joke, folks.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:19 PM

I fill my barrels with oats that are soaked in deep fryer oil. Beneath the barrel I've dug a hollowed out area that is full of meat scraps but the ravens can't get at them until the barrel is pushed over. I hang a burlap sack full of meat scraps that I dunk in fryer oil up in a tree... Last year I had a stroke of genius. My kids used to play with a water toy called "the Max Liquidator" at the pool. It is basically a nerf syringe that is intended to suck up and shoot water but it works just as good with grease. I started a couple baits last year and each time I went to them I'd spray deep fryer oil 15 or 20 feet up into the trees. The response was impressive.

I also kept every drop of bacon grease that my family generated in a year of big family breakfasts. At the start of bear season, I put it all in a pot and melted it on the stove and stirred in a couple pounds of honey. when I cooled it it made a thick spread that I applied in the trees around the bait site. worked like a charm. I got several trail cam pics of bears licking the exact spots that I smeared it on.

This year I intend to experiment with sweets since I've never done that yet. Even though the ravens can't get at meat that's stuck under a barrel, they are still attracted and it fills up an SD card PDQ. It would be nice to have more pictures of bears than "black chickens"
Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 PM

Default punchline

Looking for a punchline to the used tampon?

In order to get them, you have to pull a few strings.

Just saying.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:36 PM

Default Bear bait

Popcorn light to carry cheap