Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-17-2008, 03:59 PM

Default For you Southern Alberta boys

Just wondering what the perceived antelope situation is wherever you live. I had the opportunity to hunt archery antelope in 150, 151, 152 last year and assume not too much has changed for there. This year though I will get drawn for non-trophy antelope and I always like to try and see new country. Just wondering what you are seeing out there for fawn recruitment, numbers of antelope etc.. Please note it is NON- trophy that I will get drawn for. I am not looking for somebodies honey hole. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:05 PM

i saw quite a Few through 119 when i was heading down to the Med hat 3d shoot at eagles nest ranch..one TANK of a buck right along the the highway...think it was highway #51..i cant remmber,,,
Old 06-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Gone Hunting

No such thing as a honey hole for big antelope. Big goats are where ya find em. They need time to get big, and an old goat with good genetics is a hard find,,,, note: lots and lots and lots of miles on the truck.... Far as does, any of the draw codes should be an eazy hunt, and a heck of a good time!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM

I know in 150,151,152 where I hunted before there are some grazing reserves. In 138, 142, 144, there is lots of EID land. Do some of the other southern WMU's have places where permission is not a concern?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:20 PM

128/140 has some good access and is a fun area to hunt as well if you're lookin for a fun zone for non-trophy antelope....

Any of the zones are easy to find non-trophy antelope in, just depends where ya want to go and what time of the fall....
Old 06-17-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Rackmaster

I know in the Northern part of 128, and the Eastern part of 140 that there is some EID land. Is there some other public access lands in those WMU's that you are refering to Rackmaster? Yeah I'm thinking a Non-trophy hunt should be a hoot as well. Only thing is its a long drive to get an antelope that doesn't quite fill out the freezer like a moose will.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Archery

Hey Pred, how did you do with the bow? I have enough points to be drawn now for Archery. I just need to make sure I have the time to do it right. Maybe I won't 999 next year.

I should be drawn for non-trophy this year as well. I am thinking it will be a fun event as 2 more buddies will be drawn as well.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:56 PM

The EID stuff I've hunted in 128 was the northern part....east of Scandia. There is also some further south in 128 and some really good leases that require only a phone call for permission.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:09 PM

Thanks Rackmaster. I thought that EID land might have been what you were refering to. I didn't know that there were also some grazing leases in the area. I'll do some research on those. 128, 140 is the area I was most interested in because as I said I have hunted 150,151,152 before. I also hunted 138,142,144 and loved that area south of Brooks in the rolling hills(lots of nice antelope as well) Thats why I thought I would maybe try the next drawcode to the South this time. Cowtown guy you were asking about my archery hunt. I was fortunate enough last year to get one with my bow. I went down the day before opener and was lucky enough to go home a day and a half later with my buck in tow. As for time to do it right Carpe Diem my friend, as there is no time like the present.