Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2022, 06:01 PM

Default Willmore Fire “Management”

Why even bother having a fire management plan if now the standard practice has just reverted back to “put every fire out as soon as possible, no matter what”

https://albertaparks.ca/media/447240...e_fire_opt.pdf

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-27-2022, 06:07 PM

Sad to see that park burn, but thats how those roads were made in the park to get the personal where ever they need to be.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:15 PM

Why even bother having a fire management plan if now the standard practice has just reverted back to “put every fire out as soon as possible, no matter what

Better go back and reread it around pg 58, that's not what is happening.

The fire in question looks like it was in the natural area, but they can still put these fires out if deemed appropriate, possibly with the sheep opener up there they figured it was better to put it out then have a fire burning with a bunch more people in the back country right now.

Last edited by freeride; 08-27-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:33 PM

But looks like to me that PDF file is from 2006
Old 08-27-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Better go back and reread it around pg 58, that's not what is happening.

The fire in question looks like it was in the natural area, but they can still put these fires out if deemed appropriate, possibly with the sheep opener up there they figured it was better to put it out then have a fire burning with a bunch more people in the back country right now.
No mention of sheep season opener in any of their releases. Just mention that it does not threaten any community. And, there is not the usual scapegoat excuse of “Caribou habitat”. Only thing that stands to happen with this fire or natural fires like it is for more land to be regenerated.
Old 08-27-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dynamite View Post
No mention of sheep season opener in any of their releases. Just mention that it does not threaten any community. And, there is not the usual scapegoat excuse of “Caribou habitat”. Only thing that stands to happen with this fire or natural fires like it is for more land to be regenerated.
No they dont specifically mention that at all, but they do mention "time of year", that can cover a multitude of things from seasons, precipitation, to human activity in the area.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:33 AM

I have no idea of what the OP is about.

I can tell you that my perhaps my greatest achievement for Alberta was to use the 2006 Willmore Fire Plan to have the Immediate Attack order rescinded which allowed the 2015 Rockslide Creek fire to Burn Burn Burn.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=willmore+fire

It took a bunch of calls to several different Provincial agencies, mostly to educate people that this Plan exists, as most didn't know of it.

With the right people aware of the plan, Parks was forced to let her burn!

Has something changed Mr. Dynamite?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-29-2022, 10:31 AM

Is this a natural fire or was it caused by people?

This could answer why this fire was controlled so quickly.

You still here Mr. Dynamite?
It takes more than a quick post on AO to make a difference in Wildlife and Forestry management.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-29-2022, 11:12 AM

I had a conversation with the folks at the Nature Conservancy this week end, no logging allowed on their easements. There's logging and there's logging, if you don't manage the forest cover, eventually it WILL burn and that burn will be a lot more destructive. Can't argue with ideology.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 08-29-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Is this a natural fire or was it caused by people?

This could answer why this fire was controlled so quickly.

You still here Mr. Dynamite?
It takes more than a quick post on AO to make a difference in Wildlife and Forestry management.
Its listed as lightening caused. I was out there at the time and saw some really big lightening strikes in that exact area.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Its listed as lightening caused. I was out there at the time and saw some really big lightening strikes in that exact area.
Then it is very likely that this fire should have been treated differently.

In 2015 I had to "remind" Parks of the Willmore Wildfire management plan.

Fortunately the message was received by senior managers quickly enough that the call to pull off the Fire Attack crew let this fire do it's thing.

I would not be at all surprised if the current Park managers are in need of an education on their own fire policy.

I've put in my time hounding the government.... for now.

Anyone else want to step up?
First request I would make is for the Fire action report,
Escaped Fire Analysis Strategy (EFAS).

Old 08-29-2022, 04:11 PM

100% supportive of re-introducing natural disturbance in an ecosystem dominated by late seral stages with only rare occurrences of juvenile forests (when everyone knows juvenile forests are part of having healthy functioning ecosystems).

The legacy of aggressive suppression is still pretty strong in most wildfire centers, and I'd be surprised if "let it burn" was even considered. That being said, with a remote single access hiking trail in the "potential burn path" during the peak hiking/riding season....plus the continuous fuel/predominant wind direction/landforms leading to the Hamlet of Grande Cache...there were certainly values that would have been considered at risk. No one wants another Ft Mac/Slave Lake on their hands.

(the wildfire does not threaten any communities at this time....key word is "at this time"....just means it's not at immediate risk...not that risk is 0)

Last edited by sneer; 08-29-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:20 PM

Why am I calling about this?
Old 08-31-2022, 10:00 PM

Caribou range, old forest will be the goal, thus fire suppression is the plan of action. Same thing will occur in Jasper in the north and why they've also extinguished fires.